Windows 10: Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing

Discus and support Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The space used on C:\ for Win 10 seems to be growing for no apparent reason. I started out with about 35 GB used and am now up to 50 GB used. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 24c, Jul 21, 2015.

1. 24C
    24c Win User

Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing

The space used on C:\ for Win 10 seems to be growing for no apparent reason. I started out with about 35 GB used and am now up to 50 GB used. I have added no software, but done all updates.

The Windows folder size is 20.5 GB, just about what it always has been.
    I have a similar Win 10 install in D:\, it is 35 GB, and the Windows folder is 20.1 GB.

15 GB is an awful lot of unaccounted for disk usage.

Any suggestions appreciated.

:)

2. Cleaning the Windows\Installer folder

Anusha and Abdul, please stop generating random answers.

Somebody from real Developers/QAs, please, create a bug for this issue.

On my machine with freshly installed Windows 10 Home (2 weeks ago) the size of "Program Files" + "Program Files (x86)" is 9 GB, and the size of C:\Windows\Installer is 7.3 GB. And it keeps growing without any reasons.

Don't understand how people can use Win 10 on tablets or mobile devices. with their limited memory.

I was considering upgrading to Pro, but now I'm considering another OS.

Andriy Lazurkevych, Jul 21, 2015
  3. Eric_W_B Win User
    HidBthLE.dll - memory leak

Any movement on this? I started getting huge memory leak problems, I think right after the big windows 10 update. The first one I tracked down was my network interface driver. An uninstall and reinstall seems to have fixed that. But theres still a smaller
    leak happening. Running poolmon shows this bluetooth driver is growing and growing in size using up all of my memory in a few days.

I use a bluetooth mouse, and as you watch poolmon the size of the memory stays the same if I dont move the mouse, and as I start moving it slowly, the memory used grows slowly, and as I move the mouse faster it grows quicker!

I uninstalled this driver and it reinstalled itself on the next boot, but that did nothing to resolve this problem.

Eric_W_B, Jul 21, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

With 16 GB RAM, you could have a Page file and a Hibernation file each of up to nearly 16 GB = 30+GB on an x64 installation. You need to unhide system and show hidden files in File Explorer View, Options, Change...options, View

Run a large files checker, such as Largest Files Finder - find the top 100 largest files
    to find where the biggest chunks of used diskspace are to be found.

Fafhrd, Jul 21, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Use something like this -- displays the folders in a very convenient way so you can see what's hogging all your disk space.

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

To expand just click the arrows

To see Hidden / system files start in administrator mode. Note FREE program. Works fine in W10 (am using build 10240)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 21, 2015
  6. 24C
    24c Win User
    1st of all - thanks for the replies:

Ran TreeSize Free - it showed a System Volume folder of 23.3 GB - just about the amount I figured to be "oversized".
    unhid all files, did a Properties check on the folder - showed 0 GB
    took Ownership of the folder, re-did Properties check - 23.3 GB - 27 Files - 4 folders.
    now i know where files have built up, what next?
    Something tells me deleting these files might not be the smartest of moves...*Eek

Again - thanks for advcie

Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing [​IMG]

ETA - @ Fafhrd - pagefile 2.49 GB - hibernation off

7. 24C
    24c Win User
    SOLVED - I "always" turn off System Protection - EXCEPT I forgot to on this drive...*Redface
    - did so - drive use now 28.0 GB now.

8. mariocap Win User

Hello,
    System Volume folder is the same thing that System Volume information?
    Where and how do I "turn off turn"System Protection?
    Thank you

mariocap, Sep 27, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Win + X -> System and follow the steps below:

Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Size of Win 10 Installation seems to be growing - Similar Threads - Size Installation seems

2. Windows 11 virtual machine installation size grows more than 6GB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 virtual machine installation size grows more than 6GB: This is really annoying.I believe after installing June update, all my Windows 11 VMs grow by more than 5GB in size. They use to be around 12GB, now each main disk grows to 16 to 18GB.Note - The numbers are what I get after I did defragmenation both in VM and host VMware is...
  3. Windows 11 virtual machine installation size grows more than 6GB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 virtual machine installation size grows more than 6GB: This is really annoying.I believe after installing June update, all my Windows 11 VMs grow by more than 5GB in size. They use to be around 12GB, now each main disk grows to 16 to 18GB.Note - The numbers are what I get after I did defragmenation both in VM and host VMware is...
  4. Can't seem to make a USB Win 10 installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't seem to make a USB Win 10 installer: So I and my stupid adventures nature decided to try linux. Now I can't seem to get Windows back on my laptop. I download the media creation tool like Microsoft says, but it wants to install on my other laptop instead! My second laptop is running Windows and its the one I'm...
  5. Taskbar growing in size Resolved

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar growing in size Resolved: I was having this problem where my taskbar would continue to move upwards on my screen whenever I opened a new program. I had checked this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-growing-in-size/32a4f70c-da97-476d-9f4e-dc00e18072be for an answer,...
  6. Sea of Thieves download size grows and never completes.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sea of Thieves download size grows and never completes.: I started downloading the game yesterday, fell asleep, and woke up to find it bloating far beyond its original file size. I've restarted, reset, redownloaded, deleted cache, checked for updates, asked several live customer service agents, used the troubleshooting tool,...
  7. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?: At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the first time i ran it. However, i noticed that each subsequent use of Notepad appears to increase the values so that after...
  8. Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?

in Windows 10 Support
    Notepad window size seems to grow with each use?: At first, i thought i had solved the problem with Brink's tutorial and bat file on how to reset Notepad default window sizes. This worked perfectly the first time i ran it. However, i noticed that each subsequent use of Notepad appears to increase the values so that after...
  9. App download size keeps growing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App download size keeps growing: I wanted to re download Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition, but after the download reached the app's size, the app just keeps on downloading and the size of the app follows with it. As of right now, the app's size went from around 50 gb to 115 gb and I'm not sure what to do....
  10. Registry Backup File Size Is Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backup File Size Is Growing: I've backed up my registry twice recently, and I noticed a huge difference in the size of the backup file. Two days ago, the backup I created was 18,066 KB. The one I created this morning is 247,691 KB. Should I be concerned about this, and, if so, what can I do about it? 29317