Windows 10: "Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification

Discus and support "Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Explorer the Properties menu item reports the size of various Folders as being X but 'Size on disk' as being Y, with Y being often many MB less than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jul 12, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

"Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification

In Explorer the Properties menu item reports the size of various Folders as being X but 'Size on disk' as being Y, with Y being often many MB less than X. What precisely does this mean? Is it only related to One Drive and if so why is a One Drive Folder / File shown as having a size on the disk if it is only in the Cloud? The One Drive Folder itself has a size in GB. Does this mean its size in the Cloud, or does it mean many of the files are in fact present on the drive? I did not expect One Drive to have a significant size unless it files have been loaded. As you can see, I am somewhat confused!

:)

clayto, Jul 12, 2019

2. Remove PUP application from DVD Drive (F"Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification :) CDROM

Unfortunately, that's how Disk Clean ends.

If you want to check - run it again to see if there's is anything to clean (look at the size on items in the list - small size means only a bit has accumulated since the last run - large means something wasn't cleaned)
    Disk Clean / extended goes deep, that's why I suggested that you run it first.

I'd say just move on to the next step: cCleaner, since you're in the cleaning phase.

Ok, onward and upward!

Slartybart, Jul 12, 2019
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Jul 12, 2019
  4. R-T-B Win User

BST forum rule clarification

Just for the record, I only suggested the clarification because suggesting everyone has a basic grasp of english simply is not true.

R-T-B, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

1. "Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification - Similar Threads - Size disk means

2. What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?: Every file and folder says the same thing in the Total size column. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-the-total-size-column-in-explorer-mean/5a2ffd96-6268-40cb-9dc9-1826ff039d24
  3. Query: Regarding disk drive size

Query: Regarding disk drive size: Is it true that the C:\Windows folder's size won't increase any further after it reaches 25-26 GB?So would that mean that Windows Updates won't take any more space after the Windows folder reaches this size? Does the Windows update-mechanism work this way onlyreferring to the...
  4. Disk drive size increasing automatically

Disk drive size increasing automatically: My disk drive size is increasing automatically. Part of that can be attributed to Windows Updates, but majorly it is happening because myC:\Users folders size is increasing everyday. What could be the possiblereasons and solutions? Also, I have MS Teams installed in my PC,...
  5. Size of Data Drives in One Drive

Size of Data Drives in One Drive: I have 2 drives on my desktop running Windows 10. Both drives are set at 250Mb each. All of my data files images, documents, back-ups etc are on the D drive and the programmes etc are on the C drive. Ideally, I would like the drives set so that the D drive is 350Mb and the C...
  6. "Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification

in Windows 10 Support
    "Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification: In Explorer the Properties menu item reports the size of various Folders as being X but 'Size on disk' as being Y, with Y being often many MB less than X. What precisely does this mean? Is it only related to One Drive and if so why is a One Drive Folder / File shown as having...
  7. What is One Drive?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What is One Drive?: What is One Drive? I am getting a monthly bill. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-one-drive/af8fe41c-b551-4a90-b313-4007f0d16ce4"
  8. One Drive Exception was thrrown. Meaning and what to do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Exception was thrrown. Meaning and what to do?: The Store app Copy Space looks like it will be useful to me but one feature (which I paid for) will not work, syncing with OneDrive. When I click I get this: "Exception of type' Microsoft OneDrive Sdk One Drive Exception was thrown". The Developer cannot help so for his as...
  9. Check Disk - What does this mean please?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Check Disk - What does this mean please?: Windows 10 pro - C Drive SSD. Chkdsk gives this result: The allocated length 0x10e6000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3. The allocated length 0x158000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag...
  10. What does Drive Optimization mean?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does Drive Optimization mean?: I noticed under Drive Tools that both my drives are scheduled for Weekly Drive Optimization. I have a SSD, C:\, and a HDD, D:\. Defrag is not recommended for SSD's, but Drive Optimization isn't Defined. Does anybody know what Drive Optimization means in Win 10? 14616