Windows 10: "Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification

Discus and support "Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Explorer the Properties menu item reports the size of various Folders as being X but 'Size on disk' as being Y, with Y being often many MB less than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jul 12, 2019.

1. clayto Win User

"Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification

In Explorer the Properties menu item reports the size of various Folders as being X but 'Size on disk' as being Y, with Y being often many MB less than X. What precisely does this mean? Is it only related to One Drive and if so why is a One Drive Folder / File shown as having a size on the disk if it is only in the Cloud? The One Drive Folder itself has a size in GB. Does this mean its size in the Cloud, or does it mean many of the files are in fact present on the drive? I did not expect One Drive to have a significant size unless it files have been loaded. As you can see, I am somewhat confused!

:)

clayto, Jul 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 12, 2019
  3. Remove PUP application from DVD Drive (F"Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification :) CDROM

Unfortunately, that's how Disk Clean ends.

If you want to check - run it again to see if there's is anything to clean (look at the size on items in the list - small size means only a bit has accumulated since the last run - large means something wasn't cleaned)
    Disk Clean / extended goes deep, that's why I suggested that you run it first.

I'd say just move on to the next step: cCleaner, since you're in the cleaning phase.

Ok, onward and upward!

Slartybart, Jul 12, 2019
  4. R-T-B Win User

BST forum rule clarification

Just for the record, I only suggested the clarification because suggesting everyone has a basic grasp of english simply is not true.

R-T-B, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

1. "Size on disk" means what? OneDrive clarification - Similar Threads - Size disk means

2. What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...: [This question has been answered. Thanks to Carlo. Please Answer 1 more question that is below]My E drive Not a system drive is showing 4.61GB size. But, it's showing 4.62GB size on disk. What's the difference between these? Actually in another drive the difference is 3GB...
  3. What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?: Every file and folder says the same thing in the Total size column. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-the-total-size-column-in-explorer-mean/5a2ffd96-6268-40cb-9dc9-1826ff039d24
  4. Clarification on Cloud drive: Onedrive and Google Drive

Clarification on Cloud drive: Onedrive and Google Drive: I want to ask for clarification on using and syncing files in both Google drive and One drive on the same computer.I use 2 Emails for saving and syncing files 1. Wk.........*** Email address is removed for privacy *** Email is hidden for personal privacy: I use this email for...
  5. Size and Size on disk

Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  6. WHAT IS THIS MEAN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WHAT IS THIS MEAN: what is this for[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-mean/b0a8dc04-1cde-4120-adbd-f2b0385a0dee
  7. WHAT IS THIS MEAN

WHAT IS THIS MEAN: Error establishing a database connection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-mean/3b61b61e-ad18-48f7-aaba-c7c4755afa90
  8. WHAT IS THIS MEAN

WHAT IS THIS MEAN: my internet stops always get saying NO INTERNET SECURED when trying to connect have to run troubleshooter? [ATTACH] what is wermgr have caution thing by it and what does it do...
  9. "Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification

in Windows 10 Support
    "Size on disk" means what? One Drive clarification: In Explorer the Properties menu item reports the size of various Folders as being X but 'Size on disk' as being Y, with Y being often many MB less than X. What precisely does this mean? Is it only related to One Drive and if so why is a One Drive Folder / File shown as having...
  10. Check Disk - What does this mean please?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Check Disk - What does this mean please?: Windows 10 pro - C Drive SSD. Chkdsk gives this result: The allocated length 0x10e6000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3. The allocated length 0x158000 is not in multiple of 0x10000 for attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive size and size on disk