Windows 10: Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

Discus and support Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a very large volume of folders copied from my old XP laptop now on my Windows 10 laptop but i cant move them into the main file without them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Folder boy, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

I have a very large volume of folders copied from my old XP laptop now on my Windows 10 laptop but i cant move them into the main file without them merging into the same folder because i have different files i want to keep seperate.

For example if I have a folder on my desktop called "Folder 1" containing seven music tracks, then on my external drive I also have a folder called "Folder 1" containing five pictures.
    But if I drag the Folder 1 from the external onto the desktop it just overwrites the desktop "folder 1" and I end up with folder 1 containing both the music tracks and the pictures.

I want back the way it was in XP with the usual folder confirmation dialogue box asking if i'd like to replace the folders or give them a new name, Otherwise its going to take me a hell load of time to rename each folder so they dont overwrite.

thanks

***Original title: How do I enable the folder replacement confirmation box in windows 10***

:)

Folder boy, Aug 5, 2019
  2. Marwan.K Win User

Replace or Skip file dialog box not appearing anymore, always paste as a copy if file exist

Hello,

suddendly since yesterday, when i copy a file from folder to other, before it was giving a dialog box " Replace or skip file including keep both option",,,,, not this dialog is not appearing any more, when i copy a file with same name it is automatically
    paste as a copy file... example, if I copy file name "John.jpg" to other folder which has same file name, it is paste as "john-copy.jpg"... before it was giving option to overwrite or duplicate ..... not no options.. any help please.. thanks

Marwan.K, Aug 5, 2019
  3. Replace or Skip file dialog box not appearing anymore, always paste as a copy if file exist

Hi Rajeshwari,

I actually find what the issue was. I was using the copy function to directly copy picture from my iphone and because of this it was not giving me the replace or skip option. I copied the files in a temp folder on my desktop and then copied them to the folder
    where the duplicate files existed. This worked like a charm and I was able to get the replace or skip dialog box.

Thanks

Dheeraj

Dheeraj Rupani, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

Replace or Skip file dialog box not appearing anymore, always paste as a copy if file exist

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

Please be informed that you might have checked that option to replace or skip file dialogue box.

I suggest you to restore the folder options and check if it helps.

• Go to file explorer.
    • Click on View.
    • Click on options.
    • Then click on Restore default.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

1. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names - Similar Threads - Skip replace files

2. Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing: I had a folder full of about 150 files. Maybe half of them shared the same naming format (for example "Finished"). I then selected all of the files, typed in "Finished", and hit enter, so all files would maintain the same naming format. The folder automatically refreshes,...
  3. Compare Files Option Is Missing In My Win 10 for copying files w same name???

Compare Files Option Is Missing In My Win 10 for copying files w same name???: Trying to put pictures off 2 different phones onto my Win 10 laptop file folder but when the name is the same, there isn't any option to compare the two files (so you can keep both) and Win 10 generates a (0) as one of the copies name. What is going on? I thought I have seen...
  4. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675
  5. Internet Download Save-As Dialog Box only shows files that have the same extension as the...

Internet Download Save-As Dialog Box only shows files that have the same extension as the...: Win 10 OS: When downloading on Chrome, Firefox, IE11, and Bing users can save-as and browse to choose the file location. While browsing, not all of the folder contents are shown. Only the files that have the same file extension as the download file are shown. Often I have...
  6. Multiple files with same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple files with same name: Here's one that is a total mystery to me: The last couple of days I have been working on a file made with MS Word. It was a letter that I have been working of for a couple of days. I edited and changed the file several times and put it in two different folders. I wasn't sure...
  7. How do I copy files with the same name and keep both

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I copy files with the same name and keep both: I'm trying to copy photos off my iPhone into my folders on my laptop and per Apple's ridiculous system, some of the photos have the same name. When I try to copy them, Windows 10 only gives me two options for files with the same name: replace or do not copy. In older versions...
  8. File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer rename files with the same name when copying: Quite frankly I'm surprised no one has brought this up (or I am using the wrong search terms). When copying files in explorer, Windows 7 (I can't remember anything older than that LOL) I am asked what I want to do with copying files that have the same name as existing files...
  9. File operations Progress dialog missing

in Windows 10 Support
    File operations Progress dialog missing: When I copy,paste,move a file I no longer get a progress dialog. The operation happens but there is no indocation of progress and it is tempting to repeat the operation as you're not sure anything is happening. I still get the diallg on my other computers. 27184
  10. File Copy or Move Focus for Dialog Box

in Windows 10 Support
    File Copy or Move Focus for Dialog Box: I've noticed a very annoying aspect of Windows 10. When I copy or move a file and there is a conflict, the dialog box normally doesn't take focus, it just sits on the task bar. OK, it is flashing, but I often miss it. Is there a fix? 32440

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replace or skip files

2. windows 10 copying files skip

3. replace or skip files gone

4. replace or skip files dialog box