Windows 10: Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

Discus and support Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a very large volume of folders copied from my old XP laptop now on my Windows 10 laptop but i cant move them into the main file without them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Folder boy, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

I have a very large volume of folders copied from my old XP laptop now on my Windows 10 laptop but i cant move them into the main file without them merging into the same folder because i have different files i want to keep seperate.

For example if I have a folder on my desktop called "Folder 1" containing seven music tracks, then on my external drive I also have a folder called "Folder 1" containing five pictures.
    But if I drag the Folder 1 from the external onto the desktop it just overwrites the desktop "folder 1" and I end up with folder 1 containing both the music tracks and the pictures.

I want back the way it was in XP with the usual folder confirmation dialogue box asking if i'd like to replace the folders or give them a new name, Otherwise its going to take me a hell load of time to rename each folder so they dont overwrite.

thanks

***Original title: How do I enable the folder replacement confirmation box in windows 10***

:)

Folder boy, Aug 5, 2019
  2. Marwan.K Win User

Replace or Skip file dialog box not appearing anymore, always paste as a copy if file exist

Hello,

suddendly since yesterday, when i copy a file from folder to other, before it was giving a dialog box " Replace or skip file including keep both option",,,,, not this dialog is not appearing any more, when i copy a file with same name it is automatically
    paste as a copy file... example, if I copy file name "John.jpg" to other folder which has same file name, it is paste as "john-copy.jpg"... before it was giving option to overwrite or duplicate ..... not no options.. any help please.. thanks

Marwan.K, Aug 5, 2019
  3. Replace or Skip file dialog box not appearing anymore, always paste as a copy if file exist

Hi Rajeshwari,

I actually find what the issue was. I was using the copy function to directly copy picture from my iphone and because of this it was not giving me the replace or skip option. I copied the files in a temp folder on my desktop and then copied them to the folder
    where the duplicate files existed. This worked like a charm and I was able to get the replace or skip dialog box.

Thanks

Dheeraj

Dheeraj Rupani, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

Replace or Skip file dialog box not appearing anymore, always paste as a copy if file exist

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

Please be informed that you might have checked that option to replace or skip file dialogue box.

I suggest you to restore the folder options and check if it helps.

• Go to file explorer.
    • Click on View.
    • Click on options.
    • Then click on Restore default.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names

1. Skip or replace files dialog box missing while copying files with same names - Similar Threads - Skip replace files

2. Replace or Skip File box not appearing when copying files

in Windows 10 News
    Replace or Skip File box not appearing when copying files: [IMG]When copying files in Windows or other operating systems, users might encounter a situation where the Replace or Skip File dialog box does not appear as expected in Windows 11/10. It can prevent them from managing file conflicts and choosing how to handle duplicate files...
  3. Disable Replace or Skip Files Dialog permanently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Replace or Skip Files Dialog permanently: Hello,I am getting very annoyed when trying to copy or move files from one directory to another because of this skip or replace dialog. How do you disable it permanently? I get that there are some of the same files, but they are from different directories and packages such as...
  4. Disable Replace or Skip Files Dialog permanently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Replace or Skip Files Dialog permanently: Hello,I am getting very annoyed when trying to copy or move files from one directory to another because of this skip or replace dialog. How do you disable it permanently? I get that there are some of the same files, but they are from different directories and packages such as...
  5. Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug: Dear Windows, I copied an updated version of a pdf document and pasted it into a folder with a file of the same name, expecting the usual Replace or Skip dialog box, when to my surprise, the file pasted with no dialog. The file does not say copy either, there are 2! files of...
  6. Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug: Dear Windows, I copied an updated version of a pdf document and pasted it into a folder with a file of the same name, expecting the usual Replace or Skip dialog box, when to my surprise, the file pasted with no dialog. The file does not say copy either, there are 2! files of...
  7. Windows Replace or Skip file Dialog bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Replace or Skip Files dialog is broken

Replace or Skip Files dialog is broken: I get a super strange behavior from newest version of Windows 10. There are many file conflict when copying, but in the list which files do you want to keep? It is blank and white after 20 items.https://youtu.be/xwak9QtWGfM I took a video of the bug. Maybe I'm doing something...
  9. Windows 10 no replace or skip file dialog box appearing.

Windows 10 no replace or skip file dialog box appearing.: When I copy a duplicate file I do not get a dialog box, just a file with the same name and copy added. I have tried the following with no success :- Method 1: Try resetting the File Explorer settings to defaults and see if that helps. Press Windows + E key to...
  10. Dialog box " Replace or skip file" missing - Creating copies instead

Dialog box " Replace or skip file" missing - Creating copies instead: I am not sure when this started, I have not tried copying files for a few months. I am running Windows 10 Home, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.900 Installed 2/13/2020 Most recent updates are KB4561600, KB4560960 both in June 2020. Looked for newer updates but none...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replace or skip files dialog box

2. replace or skip files

3. windows explorer isnt asking to replace copied files

4. how to bring up replace or skip files dialigue,
  5. windows 10 copying files skip,
  6. replace or skip files gone