Windows 10: Skip the Anniversary Update?

Discus and support Skip the Anniversary Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I speculate that because our "metered connections" are registry hacks that Windows Update can take a while to 'figure it out'. It isn't really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TV2, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Bree New Member

Skip the Anniversary Update?

You've set Ethernet as metered, I presume? I use a (no registry hack needed) WiFi metered connection. I can confirm that Windows Update does indeed try (and fail) to download over a standard metered connection before offering the 'Download now' option. It's even recorded as a failed download in Update History.

2. tfwul Win User

that's for sure , sad enough.
    the weirdest thing is that even they cannot create a backup of settings of their own products.
    [Dreaming ON] imagine run a tool : all office settings being saved as a kind of .exe on OneDrive.
    Install office, run the exe, settings are restored.
    [Dreaming OFF]

they can't!

I have really no idea...

I just gave it a try again, twice in fact.
    Just check for updates run the installer
    the 2nd try is to run the "Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat" again.
    didn't work

both cases end up with 'We couldn't finish installing update' (in the action centre)

==

tfwul, Oct 8, 2016
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Well, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps a clean install is all that will work in your case.

4. Smiley1 Win User

My update history recorded 10 failed attempts to install the Anniversary Update. Maybe those were actually download failures, though. Other needed updates were showing up as available, and I wanted those, as they were security updates, but I couldn't get those without AU. So last night I set my internet connection to not metered and let it download overnight. By this morning the download was done and I cringed and then had it update and restart. And then I just walked away, coming in to the office from time to time to see if things were progressing. They were. In less than 2 hours, I had a log in screen (looks different, no more blue window). I logged in, and so far things seem OK. I noticed some apps are slow to start up, but once they do, they seem to be working fine.

I imagine all of you savvy folks know this already--Restore gets turned off and all the restore points are gone, so you'll need to re-enable that.

Smiley1, Oct 14, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Well, they would be. You have just installed a new operating system called 1607. You previous restore points were for 1511. You wouldn't want keep the Windows 7 restore points after an upgrade to 10, would you? The same principle applies when you upgrade from 1511 to 1607.

For the next 10 days there's one very big 'restore point' (of sorts) - it's the ability to roll back to the previous version (including all its old restore points).

You are correct in saying it's worth checking System Protection is still turned on. Sometimes it does get turned off, though not for me, apparently.

6. Smiley1 Win User
    System protection had been turned off, Bree. I recall that being the case when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 as well.

Smiley1, Oct 15, 2016
  7. tfwul Win User
    "They" say that one needs to keep the system updated, so as to avoid vulnerabilities. Then again I read that many folks are having difficulties to update their system and the many workarounds are failing.
    Sadly Microsoft is failing to fulfill their obligation to keep their product as safe as possible.

=

tfwul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Skip the Anniversary Update? - Similar Threads - Skip Anniversary Update

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Anniversary Update woes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update woes: Hi. I recently rolled back my desktop from the anniversary update because I was noticing problems with start times (slower), my wifi (poor connection) and bluetooth (connection problems with no audio). After trying to reinstall my drivers which had no success, I decided to...
  4. Weird Flash-Skip when trying to install Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird Flash-Skip when trying to install Anniversary Update: So this is very frustrating... I'm trying to install the anniversary update, and used the upgrade assistant. But when it restarts, it flashes for just a second the update screen, then shuts off and restarts again and loads without the update... Any idea what I did wrong? I...
  5. Anniversary Update Report

Anniversary Update Report: I've been delaying updating my desktop PCs to the Anniversary Update (AU) due to previous reports on the forum of missing drives or drives appearing in RAW format. I haven't noticed any recent reports of this issue so I went ahead and upgraded my father's PC two days ago....
  6. Anniversary Update Problem

Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  7. Why no anniversary update?

Why no anniversary update?: My desktop computers are running Windows 10 Pro version 1511 OS Build 10586.545 I don't appear to get the anniversay update. Is there a reason for this? (I have a year old laptop with Windows 10 Home and that did get the anniversary update.) 74147
  8. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  9. anniversary update, accept or not

anniversary update, accept or not: I know it will eventually be installed no matter what I do but it appears it is loaded with errors from what I read on this site and others. Can it be delayed at all. Upgraded from 7 to 10 last December. 59811
  10. Anniversary Update issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update issues: I updated to the Anni version today and I am not 100% impressed with it. Firstly, I couldn't access the menu using left click but using the right click was ok, Secondly, I find that I am unable to open a .pdf in Adobe reader DC for some strange reason? I tried downloading...