Windows 10: Skydrive

Discus and support Skydrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to understand how Skydrive works. Background: We (wife and I) have 2 physical PC's. Hers is a desktop and mine is a laptop. Her desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jim and Barb, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Skydrive

I'm trying to understand how Skydrive works. Background:

We (wife and I) have 2 physical PC's. Hers is a desktop and mine is a laptop.

Her desktop formerly had Windows 7 & was upgraded to Windows 10 when 1st released to the world.

My laptop formerly had Windows 8.1 & was upgraded to Windows 10 when 1st released to the world.

We both share the same Microsoft Account (e.g., same user ID & PW) when logging onto our respective PC's.

My laptop has both a OneDrive and Skydrive folder, whereas her desktop only has a Onedrive folder.

I understand why up to this point...

We did not sync our OneDrive folders "until" June of 2018, and the only folders we sync are Documents & Photos.

Via this sync option I assume we have our Documents & Photos folders now exist in 3 places, one being the Desktop, the 2nd being the Laptop and finally the 3rd being OneDrive (Microsoft's Cloud Server(s)).

Here is where I'm currently confused.

When I look at my Laptop via File Explorer and view my OneDrive and Skydrive folders I see a ton of duplicate files.

However, when I look particularly at SkyDrive, it looks like the last time it was updated was just prior to turning on OneDrive sync (June 2018).

Question(s):

Can I safely remove all files in my Laptop SkyDrive folder to eliminate duplicates and save space ?

What would happen if I turned off OneDrive sync (I have no plans to do this) on both of our PC's ?

Would turning off sync force the Laptop to begin re-populating SkyDrive again?

I "assume" that my SkyDrive was used prior to my syncing our machines to distinguish my version on OneDrive as compared to my wife's desktop version of OneDrive prior to sync. Is this a correct assumption ?

:)

Jim and Barb, Feb 18, 2019
  2. AllanP Win User

Old Skydrive removal

I'm actually asking for a friend who upgraded from W8.1 to W10. He has both Onedrive and Skydrive listed in Windows Explorer. The question is how to remove Skydrive and keep Onedrive. He has tried renaming Skydrive; well here is a quote from his email to me" I tried renaming Skydrive and then deleting it but when you try to open OneDrive on the desktop the file can't be found?"

AllanP, Feb 18, 2019
  3. Hakim B' Win User
    cannot move WP7 OneNote notebooks to SkyDrive

Hi ElioCarra,

Thanks for your contribution to the forum.

I would suggest to try these steps :

To upload an existing document to SkyDrive
    If you already have a document on your phone, you can upload it to SkyDrive.

• In the Office Hub, flick to Locations, then tap Phone.

• Tap the document to open it, then tap More
      Skydrive basic-icon-ellipses.png
      >
      Share > SkyDrive.

or

To save a new document to SkyDrive

• In the Office Hub, flick to Documents, tap New
      Skydrive basic-icon-plus.png
      >
      Word or Excel.

• After you've made some changes, tap More
      Skydrive basic-icon-ellipses.png
      >
      Save.

• Type a name in the File name box, then tap the Save to list >
      SkyDrive > Save.

Please, have a look at this link here below :

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp7/office/sync-documents-with-skydrive

Please, let us know if you need further assistance !

Regards,

Hakim B', Feb 18, 2019
  4. Arvinian Win User

Skydrive

OneNote sections are named untitled even though they have titles on skydrive

I have a couple of notebooks on skydrive. Everything is synching properly except one section in each notebook shows as "Untitled" even though on skydrive it clearly shows a name. I tried renaming to see if it would synch up to my phone but it didn't
    work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Arvinian, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

Skydrive

1. Skydrive - Similar Threads - Skydrive

2. Lost access to files on Skydrive from Windows 8.1 after botched upgrade to Windows 10. Are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost access to files on Skydrive from Windows 8.1 after botched upgrade to Windows 10. Are...: I've have an old laptop that has served my basic needs for the past 10 or so years now with Windows 8/8.1. At the time, it had Skydrive, which I didn't use much, but had some files copied to it. This year, 2023, with the discontinued support of Windows 8/8.1, I was notified...
  3. Lost access to files on Skydrive from Windows 8.1 after botched upgrade to Windows 10. Are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost access to files on Skydrive from Windows 8.1 after botched upgrade to Windows 10. Are...: I've have an old laptop that has served my basic needs for the past 10 or so years now with Windows 8/8.1. At the time, it had Skydrive, which I didn't use much, but had some files copied to it. This year, 2023, with the discontinued support of Windows 8/8.1, I was notified...
  4. My Samsung Note 10 phone used to sync camera photos to my Skydrive folder. But now it syncs...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Samsung Note 10 phone used to sync camera photos to my Skydrive folder. But now it syncs...: My Samsung Note 10 phone used to sync camera photos to my Skydrive folder. But now it syncs to OneDrive Photos. Why do my pictures no longer sync into the Skydrive folder?...
  5. My Samsung Note 10 phone used to sync camera photos to my Skydrive folder. But now it syncs...

My Samsung Note 10 phone used to sync camera photos to my Skydrive folder. But now it syncs...: My Samsung Note 10 phone used to sync camera photos to my Skydrive folder. But now it syncs to OneDrive Photos. Why do my pictures no longer sync into the Skydrive folder?...
  6. Skydrive asking for windows 8.1 to be updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Skydrive asking for windows 8.1 to be updated: Good day Can someone give me a suggestion on how to fix skydrive/onedrive asking for windows 8.1 to be update to the latest version and no new version showing up....
  7. Skydrive asking for windows 8.1 to be updated

Skydrive asking for windows 8.1 to be updated: Good day Can someone give me a suggestion on how to fix skydrive/onedrive asking for windows 8.1 to be update to the latest version and no new version showing up....
  8. Reset Skydrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Skydrive: Hello Microsoft! As I remember in 2012-2014 some years ago, Onedrive called... Skydrive. Skydrive was with this logo and wordmark back then 2012-2014 and Skydrive had also this beautiful design under in the photos. And it had more good abilities. So, please can you reset...
  9. Reset Skydrive

Reset Skydrive: Hello Microsoft! As I remember in 2012-2014 some years ago, Onedrive called... Skydrive. Skydrive was with this logo and wordmark back then 2012-2014 and Skydrive had also this beautiful design under in the photos. And it had more good abilities. So, please can you reset...
  10. SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive

SkyDrive requesting special permissions on the OneDrive: When will Microsoft fix this bug in App One Drive Mr. attendant, please put an objective solution, as I'm tired of faulty guidelines like reinstall the App, run an anti-malware and all other ready-made answers you have that don't work...