Windows 10: Skype - Couldn't sign you in

Discus and support Skype - Couldn't sign you in in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; DELL Inspiron 15-3576 laptop, running Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1909, build 18363.719 with “Core i5-8250U” CPU and “Intel UHD Graphics 620” display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wiganken, Mar 19, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Skype - Couldn't sign you in

DELL Inspiron 15-3576 laptop, running Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1909, build 18363.719 with “Core i5-8250U” CPU and “Intel UHD Graphics 620” display adapter. “Device Encryption” is “OFF”. Norton Security installed.

There are two user accounts: Me (Administrator) and Wife (Standard user).

I wanted to start using Skype for the first time and chose to set up my wife’s Skype first. In the Start apps list I saw “Skype” and went through stages to set it up and all was OK.

I then changed to my profile and there was no “Skype” in the app list. Don’t know why so I opted to download and install the “Skype for Windows” app. I duly set it up and it also works fine.

I did not realise that there are two versions of Skype:
    a) My version is 8.58.0.93 which is, I believe, the “Skype for Windows”, a desktop app.
    b) My wife’s version is 14.56.102.0 which I believe is the “Skype for Windows 10” app which uses the installed “Desktop” version 8.58.0.93 as well?

Both use our gmail logins. Because I wanted both profiles to use the same desktop type app 8.58.0.93 I decided to sign my wife out of her Skype and now I cannot get her signed back in again. The Skype icon in the Notification Area shows “Signed Out”. When I try to sign her in I see a message:

Skype - Couldn't sign you in [​IMG]

Our default browser is the latest Firefox v74.0 (64-bit) and I can’t fathom why Google is showing “This browser or app may not be secure”. I have verified that I can sign in to both of her gmail and Microsoft accounts so I know the username and passwords are correct. Then I signed her out of both accounts to ensure they were free to sign back into but this has not helped.

Has anyone any answers as to how I can get my wife signed back in again?

- - - Updated - - -

I discovered the problem. In my wife's profile the Skype is the two versions running alongside each other and I had signed her out of one of them and was trying to sign her into the one that was still active and so it was failing.

See Download Skype for More Features Than Windows 10’s Built-In Version

a) The "Skype for Windows 10" icon is a white circle with a blue 'S' in it.
    b) The "Skype for Windows" icon is a blue circle with a white 'S' in it.

I had signed her out of a) and was trying to sign her in to b) which was still active. This time I selected the a) icon and the sign-in worked.

Apparently both apps are available but you cannot be signed into both at the same time.
    See Can I sign in to both Skype apps on Windows 10 at the same time? | Skype Support

Thought it might help others.

:)

wiganken, Mar 19, 2020
  2. wiganken Win User

Skype - Couldn’t sign you in

DELL Inspiron 15-3576 laptop, running Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1909, build 18363.719 with “Core i5-8250U” CPU and “Intel UHD Graphics 620” display adapter. “Device Encryption” is “OFF”. Norton Security installed.

There are two user accounts: Me (Administrator) and Wife (Standard user).

I wanted to start using Skype for the first time and chose to set up my wife’s Skype first. In the Start apps list I saw “Skype” and went through stages to set it up and all was OK.

I then changed to my profile and there was no “Skype” in the app list. Don’t know why so I opted to download and install the “Skype for Windows” app. I duly set it up and it also works fine.

I did not realise that there are two versions of Skype:
    a) My version is 8.58.0.93 which is, I believe, the “Skype for Windows”, a desktop app.
    b) My wife’s version is 14.56.102.0 which I believe is the “Skype for Windows 10” app which uses the installed “Desktop” version 8.58.0.93 as well?

Both use our gmail logins. Because I wanted both profiles to use the same desktop type app 8.58.0.93 I decided to sign my wife out of her Skype and now I cannot get her signed back in again. The Skype icon in the Notification Area shows “Signed Out”. When I try to sign her in I see a message:

Our default browser is the latest Firefox v74.0 (64-bit) and I can’t fathom why Google is showing “This browser or app may not be secure”. I have verified that I can sign in to both of her gmail and Microsoft accounts so I know the username and passwords are correct. Then I signed her out of both accounts to ensure they were free to sign back into but this has not helped.

Has anyone any answers as to how I can get my wife signed back in again?

wiganken, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Mark_W. Win User
    Can't sign into Skype on Lumia 900

Hello Fearingdragon:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding your issue using the Skype app on your phone. From my experience you do have to sign into the app with your Skype name. You should be able to verify your Skype name by doing the following:

• Go to a PC and sign into your Skype account with your Microsoft account,
      http://skype.com
    • Once you are signed you should see a listing related to your account details or account information.
    • Click this and review your details. You should find your Skype name listed here.
    • If you do, use this name to sign in, my understanding is the password is the same as your Microsoft account.
    If you find that you do not have a Skype name listed, then this Skype account is not fully set up. I would suggest you contact Skype support for additional assistance getting this account ready to be used on the Windows phone.

Something else you can try is to access Skype from the web browser instead of the application. I believe you can sign into the site with your Microsoft account in this fashion.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Mark_W., Mar 19, 2020
  4. Skype - Couldn't sign you in

"We couldn`t create a new partition or locate an existing one."

Try this:

Before you get to that message, press SHIFT + F10 to open a command prompt.

Run diskpart.
    At the diskpart prompt, run these commands:

list disk

At this point you should see the SSD as disk 0. If it has another disk number, use that number rather than "0" in the next command.

select disk 0
    clean
    exit (to exit from diskpart)
    exit (to exit from the command prompt)

That should clear the contents of the disk. The entire disk space should then show up in Windows setup as "Unallocated Space" as in the screenshot below.

hsehestedt, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Skype - Couldn't sign you in

1. Skype - Couldn't sign you in - Similar Threads - Skype Couldn't sign

2. Windows Hello Face couldn't sign you in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello Face couldn't sign you in: Hey there,I have a problem with windows hello Face on windows 10. I have set up windows Hello Face, but when I wanna log in, the camera will recognize me on the login screen but then it will give me an error " That option is temporarily unavailable. For now, please use a...
  3. Windows Hello Face couldn't sign you in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Hello Face couldn't sign you in: Hey there,I have a problem with windows hello Face on windows 10. I have set up windows Hello Face, but when I wanna log in, the camera will recognize me on the login screen but then it will give me an error " That option is temporarily unavailable. For now, please use a...
  4. Windows Hello Face couldn't sign you in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. We couldn't sign you in to xbox live

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We couldn't sign you in to xbox live: I'm on windows 11 and randomly can not sign on to Xbox live. I get error code 0x87DD0003. I have tried everything I could find on the web. Removed the Xbox app reinstalled it, deleted the accounts and cache folders from hereC:\Users\[your...
  6. We couldn't sign you in to xbox live

We couldn't sign you in to xbox live: I'm on windows 11 and randomly can not sign on to Xbox live. I get error code 0x87DD0003. I have tried everything I could find on the web. Removed the Xbox app reinstalled it, deleted the accounts and cache folders from hereC:\Users\[your...
  7. We couldn't sign you into Xbox Live

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    We couldn't sign you into Xbox Live: I tried to log into my Xbox account on the app called Xbox and the companion app and it kept popping up with the error code 0x87DD002C. Along with these two not working it would not let me log into Minecraft for Windows 10 and I have waited about 1 week to see if it were to...
  8. Skype - Couldn’t sign you in

Skype - Couldn’t sign you in: DELL Inspiron 15-3576 laptop, running Windows 10 Home (64-bit) v1909, build 18363.719 with “Core i5-8250U” CPU and “Intel UHD Graphics 620” display adapter. “Device Encryption” is “OFF”. Norton Security installed. There are two user accounts: Me (Administrator) and Wife...
  9. We Couldn't sign you into xbox (Error 0xFFFF82E)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We Couldn't sign you into xbox (Error 0xFFFF82E): There seem to be a lot of complaints like this on forums recently, but When ever I try to load up Sea Of Thieves I get the error code regarding xbox live and how it can't sign me in (on PC). The Complaint number can not be found (not existent). My account will also not log me...
  10. We couldn't sign you in to Xbox live

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We couldn't sign you in to Xbox live: Please let me know if this is the wrong place for this. I installed Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy. Build 14942_prerelease.161003-1929 . I have had intermittent ongoing issues with store and store apps going back to windows 8 and have been able to fix them...