Windows 10: Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?'

Discus and support Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?' in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Every time I go to open a pic from Skype IM it asks me what app to open the file with. The problem there is no check box in the list of apps to say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elbeasto, Sep 6, 2015.

1. elbeasto Win User

Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?'

Every time I go to open a pic from Skype IM it asks me what app to open the file with. The problem there is no check box in the list of apps to say always use this app, so it asks every single time.

Gets annoying after the first time. *Smile

:)

elbeasto, Sep 6, 2015

2. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image.

Hi,

It's odd that you keep on getting the pop-up of "How do you want to open this file" even you already tick the "Always use this app to open the...". If we're going to look at it, the startup programs or software could have been the reason. However, you already
    tried the clean boot environment to no avail. We suggest that you replicate the concern is
    safe mode and see if the issue persists. You can also create
    another user profile to test if it will be the same.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image.

When I try to open an image file (.png .jpg and so on), Windows keeps asking me "How do you want to open this file" like:

Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?' [​IMG]

After clicking OK, the same dialog box pops again and again, no matter whether I click "Always use this app to open .jpg file" while the chosen software won't open.

This phenomena will only appear when I try to open any image files, other files are OK.

I can right click the image file and choose "open with", by which I can use specific software to open the file. However, it's so inconvenient.

I tried to set the default software in Windows Setting and tried a clean boot, but no avail.

Bluefissure, Sep 6, 2015
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

This is a matter of File Associations setup on your computer. Find on your computer any image file with the file extension .jpg. Right click on this file and select Open With. Select the appropriate program from the displayed list or select the Choose default program option.

Whatphoeb, Sep 6, 2015
  5. elbeasto Win User
    yeah I did all that and it still asks...

elbeasto, Sep 6, 2015
  6. jkbf Win User
    Same problem here. My images are well associated with the Photo app. But for some reason Skype fails to realize that. It even suggests it by default. It just won't open it automatically.

jkbf, Sep 7, 2015
  7. elbeasto Win User
    If you right click an image file>open with>Choose another app, there's an option to "Always use this app to open .xxx files". Skype doesn't give this option when selecting the app.

I've now set it up this way but haven't tested it in Skype yet.
    Will post later if it fixes it.

elbeasto, Sep 7, 2015
  8. elbeasto Win User

My bad, sorry doesn't fix it...

elbeasto, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?' - Similar Threads - Skype Keeps asking

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  5. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  6. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  7. Opening JPG or PNG files in Excel 365; keeps asking me " How do you want to open"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening JPG or PNG files in Excel 365; keeps asking me " How do you want to open": Why does excel keep asking me how I want to open JPG files? If I use GIF, it just opens them right away. Use JPG, it asks me every time even when I select "Always use this app to open JPG file" If I open the jpg through windows explorer, it opens right away. My default...
  8. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image: This problem happen after April 2018 Update After I check "Always use this app to open .jpg files" and click OK.The same dialog box pops again and again This phenomena will only appear when I try to open any image files from applications: Thunderbird and uTorrent ***But...
  9. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...
  10. Stop asking How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop asking How do you want to open this file: This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file? It already has the program associated with it highlighted, but I still have to check the box to Always use this program and then click OK. These are...