Windows 10: Skype (MS Store) app requires Desktop app camera permission

Discus and support Skype (MS Store) app requires Desktop app camera permission in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The title really says it all. I've found that to get the camera working in the Skype app (downloaded from MS Store), I need to enable camera access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Batch, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Batch Win User

Skype (MS Store) app requires Desktop app camera permission

The title really says it all. I've found that to get the camera working in the Skype app (downloaded from MS Store), I need to enable camera access (under Settings, Privacy, Camera) both as an MS Store app and allow general desktop app access.

By way of contrast, the microphone works fine with just MS Store app permission for Skype.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be? Surely it should not need Desktop app access for the camera?

It's a Dell Inspiron 3580 lappie running Win10x64 1909 (all up to date)

:)

Batch, Jan 11, 2021

2. What is App Connector...?

Right, you might not be a developer but at some point you might use a 3rd party UWP App.

The UWP Skype App needs access to your camera and your microphone ... while not a 3rd party App, Skype might not have access to those without App Connector - not sure, just an example.

The Google App (Ok Google) needs to access your microphone.

Instead of everyone writing their own access, getting permissions, etc, their Apps ask the App Connector to service their requests.

This approach is nothing new to Android users, when an Android App gets installed, it lists the permissions it requires. You either accept them or cancel the install. Most people accept and install the App. MS might be trying to get past that one install step by granting the permissions to the App Connector. The permissions are listed on the App page in the Store - nothing nefarious, just eliminating a step.

Keep in mind - this is all conjecture on my part - no hard evidence did I find *Wink

Slartybart, Jan 11, 2021
  3. 234ff Win User
    Camera app permission required

When I opened the camera app, it told me to allow permission to the camera and microphone. Therefore, I granted permission to the app in the settings. However, when I am back in the camera app, it still tells me that the app requires permission to camera
    and microphone AGAIN.

When I opened Zoom/Skype to test my video (camera), they all show a completely black screen. However, I can see that the camera is working on other computers using Windows (I just plug the USB camera in and it automatically worked for other computers)

May I know how to solve this issue?

234ff, Jan 11, 2021
  4. tommyruud Win User

Skype for Business' access to camera

Thanks, it worked!

For anyone else having the same problem:
    When activating the aforementioned setting you should restart Skype for Business completely. Mine Skype for Business still did not get listed in the lower list, but the camera is now activated.

tommyruud, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Skype (MS Store) app requires Desktop app camera permission - Similar Threads - Skype Store app

2. Camera App Not Recognizing Permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera App Not Recognizing Permission: My camera app keeps asking for permission to use the camera. Thing is, it already HAS permission. What gives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-app-not-recognizing-permission/c04f54c8-5b8f-4bce-ba4e-3b7dd3995d4f
  3. Camera App Not Recognizing Permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Camera App Not Recognizing Permission: My camera app keeps asking for permission to use the camera. Thing is, it already HAS permission. What gives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-app-not-recognizing-permission/c04f54c8-5b8f-4bce-ba4e-3b7dd3995d4f
  4. Deletion of Apps in MS Store is Required

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Deletion of Apps in MS Store is Required: An obvious need that MS continues to ignore. I assume MS finds the data useful to them so they require us to maintain it. Is this ability available on Corporate builds? Why is this need ignored? This is the kind of thing that undercuts all the marketing about privacy. Actions...
  5. Deletion of Apps in MS Store is Required

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of Apps in MS Store is Required: An obvious need that MS continues to ignore. I assume MS finds the data useful to them so they require us to maintain it. Is this ability available on Corporate builds? Why is this need ignored? This is the kind of thing that undercuts all the marketing about privacy. Actions...
  6. Deletion of Apps in MS Store is Required

7. MS Camera app

MS Camera app: I have tried the methods here. I click uninstall, nothing. terminate, nothing. Is there a magic Butten? Or does MS not want their camera app removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-camera-app/96c968f8-c1b6-4050-ad2f-9917b7f97092
  8. Camera app permission required

in Windows 10 Customization
    Camera app permission required: When I opened the camera app, it told me to allow permission to the camera and microphone. Therefore, I granted permission to the app in the settings. However, when I am back in the camera app, it still tells me that the app requires permission to camera and microphone AGAIN....
  9. Camera problem in Skype app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Camera problem in Skype app: Hi. I'trying to set up Skype and noticed that if I access through the browser everyting works fine, while when I try to access through the Skype app, and go to video settings, the camera preview shows a black screen. Can please help me?...
  10. App Permissions for Desktop apps (ScreenRec)

App Permissions for Desktop apps (ScreenRec): <p>I have a small YouTube channel and record videos via screen recording software. On my Dell XPS 12 laptop (With Windows 10 Pro) I recently installed a software called ScreenRec that records screen videos as well as system audio and audio from the built-in microphone.&nbsp;...