Windows 10: Sleep and Hibernation Issue when Using Cortana

Discus and support Sleep and Hibernation Issue when Using Cortana in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Background: I saw another thread on "Cortana Sleep Issue" describing how Cortana would block the auto sleep/hibernation of your PC if you were to leave... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WilfredLim, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Sleep and Hibernation Issue when Using Cortana

Background: I saw another thread on "Cortana Sleep Issue" describing how Cortana would block the auto sleep/hibernation of your PC if you were to leave Cortana on and actively listening for "Hey Cortana". On that thread, the issue remains unresolved as far as I can see. However, Microsoft went on to lock the thread, saying "This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread." So I could not comment there.

I am glad to say that, through a painful series of trial and error, I have [SOLVED] found a workaround and possibly the only known workaround comprising precursor steps that must be executed in the exact sequence for it to work. With Cortana turned on, auto sleep and hibernation can still work only if they are preceded by auto screensaver, followed by auto turning off the display. As follows:

+++​

1 Settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen -> Screen saver settings -> check "On resume, display logon screen", and specify desired Wait value, w Scree saver selection can remain as "none", in which case the PC will just show the Windows lock screen

and

2 Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced settings -> Display -> set Turn off display after x minutes this action will kick in x minutes after the screensaver comes on

+++​

3 Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced settings ->Sleep -> set Sleep after y minutes this action will kick in z minutes after turning off the display; a rather peculiar deviation from the non-Cortana case where it kicks in y minutes from the point of inactivity

and/or

4 Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced settings ->Sleep -> set Hibernate after z minutes this action will kick in z minutes after the previous step, e.g. sleep; a rather peculiar deviation from the non-Cortana case where it kicks in z minutes from the point of inactivity

+++​

:)

WilfredLim, Jul 24, 2020
  2. John Vil Win User

hibernating/password

Hello Rich,

One possible reason why your system keeps hibernating or goes to sleep is because of the power plan settings of your computer. To assist you with your concern regarding your PC hibernating, we recommend that you reconfigure the power plan settings by following
    the steps below:

• Type Display on Cortana's search field and press
      Enter.
    • Select Power & sleep.
    • Under the Sleep option, click the drop down menu to set the number of minutes/hours you would like your PC to sleep/hibernate. We suggest that you select
      Never if you do not want you system to hibernate.
    • Close all windows for the changes to take effect.

Let us know if you will need further assistance.

John Vil, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Cortana sleep issue

sorry but all those "troubleshooting steps" i read on posts about this issue aren't helping anyone..

the problem lies within the fact that the constant audio stream prevents the automatic hibernate and sleep..

also a request override doesn't help..

for most people the voice activation is the one thing that makes cortana useful in the first place but having sleepmode and hibernate prevented by it is a dealbreaker.. i like to stream netflix in the evening and watch movies or series from my bed but having
    my pc run for 7-8 hours without anyone using it if i fall asleep is a waste of electricity and money..

it's on Microsofts side to fix this issue and stop cortana from preventing sleep while listening for hey cortana..

DanielWicke, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Sleep and Hibernation Issue when Using Cortana

Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue

Hi Sylnan,

User profile corruption could be a possible cause why you are experiencing an issue with the sleep function of your device. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you create a test user profile. Check if you will have the same issue with the device if
    it is in sleep mode. This is for us to verify if the issue is isolated with one user profile or with multiple accounts.

To create a test user profile, follow these steps:

• Using Cortana search, type Settings and then hit the Enter key.
    • In the Settings window, select Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Choose Add someone else to this PC.
    • Click I don't have this person's sign-in information.
    • Click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    • Name the user as TEST and then provide a password.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Sleep and Hibernation Issue when Using Cortana

1. Sleep and Hibernation Issue when Using Cortana - Similar Threads - Sleep Hibernation Issue

2. Sleep / Hibernate Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep / Hibernate Issues: Hi all - I have a new HP Spectre laptop and am having a strange issue. I have seen several others post on similar things but not exactly this one.I noticed that when I close the lid of my laptop it will not go into Sleep or Hibernate regardless of which setting I choose. Yes...
  3. Sleep / Hibernate Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep / Hibernate Issues: Hi all - I have a new HP Spectre laptop and am having a strange issue. I have seen several others post on similar things but not exactly this one.I noticed that when I close the lid of my laptop it will not go into Sleep or Hibernate regardless of which setting I choose. Yes...
  4. Sleep and Hibernation Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep and Hibernation Issues: Hello,My Windows 11 PC closes all applications mimics a shutdown whenever I put my PC to sleep or hibernate for an extended period of time, typically over 3 hours....
  5. Sleep and Hibernation Issues

Sleep and Hibernation Issues: Hello,My Windows 11 PC closes all applications mimics a shutdown whenever I put my PC to sleep or hibernate for an extended period of time, typically over 3 hours....
  6. Hibernate/sleep issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate/sleep issue: Greeting all, ill try not to wast your time. every time i try to hibernate the computer/desktop, it turns back on.from what i know, yesterday it had a blue screen whilst it was going into hibernation turning it back on, though the problem didn't show up then, i did moved the...
  7. Hibernate/sleep issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate/sleep issue: Greeting all, ill try not to wast your time. every time i try to hibernate the computer/desktop, it turns back on.from what i know, yesterday it had a blue screen whilst it was going into hibernation turning it back on, though the problem didn't show up then, i did moved the...
  8. Hibernate/sleep issue

9. Cortana Sleep Issue

in Cortana
    Cortana Sleep Issue: Background: I saw another thread on "Cortana Sleep Issue" describing how Cortana would block the auto sleep/hibernation of your PC if you were to leave Cortana on and actively listening for "Hey Cortana". On that thread, the issue remains unresolved as far as I can see....
  10. KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue

in Windows 10 Support
    KB3199209 sleep/hibernate issue: Hi, First post here, so go easy on me. Yesterday one of my W10A(1607) PC's happily and automatically downloaded and installed KB3199209. Since then, I have notice some strange behavior w/r to sleep/hibernation. Typically, when not in use, the PC is put into hybrid...