Windows 10: Sleep and power settings ignored

Discus and support Sleep and power settings ignored in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I am having problems with power settings. I followed following instructions from the forum: 1. Do nothing when closing lid when plugged in 2.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sri Siva Kumar, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Sleep and power settings ignored

Hi,

I am having problems with power settings. I followed following instructions from the forum:

1. Do nothing when closing lid when plugged in

2. Turn off Uncheck fast startup

3. Turn off Hybrid sleep for both on battery and plugged in

4.Checked screensaver and put some screen saver after 15 minutes of idle time.

Still having problems. When I close lid the screen goes to OFF and I have to press power button to put the system to sleep, and then again press power button to wake.

I run powercfg with lastwake and energy and results are as mentioned below.

Earlier before upgrading to version 1909, by resetting power plan to default settings, this problem was solved. I also use external monitor and occasionally, I remove HDMI cable and use the laptop.

Please help. On some forums I read tweaking registry, which I have not yet tried.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
    Computer NameDESKTOP-UG3VNEK
    Scan Time2019-12-20T07:58:20Z
    Scan Duration60 seconds
    System ManufacturerASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Product NameN550JV
    BIOS Date11/19/2013
    BIOS VersionN550JV.208
    OS Build18363
    Platform RolePlatformRoleMobile
    Plugged Intrue
    Process Count197
    Thread Count2641
    Report GUID{c2614fa6-a1f6-47f9-b3bd-77a615537b96}
    Analysis Results Errors

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
    This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
    Device NameUSB Composite Device
    Host Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31
    Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
    Device IDUSB\VID_03F0&PID_1941
    Port Path1
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
    This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
    Device NameRealtek USB 2.0 Card Reader
    Host Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31
    Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
    Device IDUSB\VID_0BDA&PID_0139
    Port Path8
    Platform Power Management CapabilitiesSleep and power settings ignored :pCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
    Warnings
    Platform Timer ResolutionSleep and power settings ignored :platform Timer Resolution
    The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms 15625000ns and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
    Current Timer Resolution 100ns units10000
    Maximum Timer Period 100ns units156250
    Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
    A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
    Requested Period10000
    Requesting Process ID7964
    Requesting Process Path\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\sivap\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\65.0.3467.78\opera.exe
    Power Policy:Sleep timeout is long Plugged In
    The computer is configured to automatically sleep after longer than 30 minutes.
    Timeout seconds1860
    CPU UtilizationSleep and power settings ignored :processor utilization is moderate
    The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization %2.45
    CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
    This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
    Process Nameexplorer.exe
    PID10792
    Average Utilization %0.28
    ModuleAverage Module Utilization %
    \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.09
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll0.02
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\WindowsCodecs.dll0.02

Please help to solve this issue.

:)

Sri Siva Kumar, Dec 20, 2019

2. Screensaver Ignores Power and Sleep Settings

I have had two PCs that are totally ignoring the Screen settings in Power and Sleep. The Screen setting is set to Never, but the screensaver comes on after a minute or so nonetheless.

In one of those PCs, the Sleep setting is being followed. Don't know about the other.

The PCs are custom branded

• Intel DQ35JOE motherboard on the latest BIOS rev
    • Intel Q8200 CPU
    • 4 x 2GB DDR-800 various brands
    • 1 TB HD
    • WiFi card
    • Windows 10 Pro
    System has been tested for 24 hours with Prime95 and no errors are reported.

Ran the Power Troubleshooter and all it did was reset the Screen and Sleep settings to the defaults.

Setting are verified in the Control Panel.

Any ideas?

GreenMenComputers, Dec 20, 2019
  3. windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are facing issues with the Windows 10 Sleep, we will look into this for you. However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    • Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?

Meanwhile, this issue could be related to the Hybrid sleep and the Fast Startup. Hence, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to turn off Hybrid Sleep:

1. Click on Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options, then click on Change plan settings.
    4. Click on Change advanced power settings and expand
      Sleep
      option.
    5. Now expand Allow hybrid sleep and then change settings to
      Off.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Steps to turn off Fast Startup:

1. Click on the Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options.
    4. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    5. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    6. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the Turn on fast startup box.
    7. Click on Save changes. This will turn off fast startup.

Restart the system and check if the issue still persists.

We would also like you to open command prompt (Admin) after the PC wakes up. (Type in Windows search
    CMD and then right click on it, select Run as Administrator)

Then type the command as mentioned in the /lastwake & /energy
    section from this Powercfg command-line
    options
    article.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 20, 2019
  4. CarlLira Win User

Sleep and power settings ignored

Windows 10 ignores sleep settings

I am struggling with windows 10 ignoring my sleep settings. After just a few minutes of inactivity (something like 5 min) the computer monitor turns off and the hard drive goes to sleep. I previously followed some forum suggestion to change power mode
    and change it back and reset to defaults which seemed to work for a while, but no longer works for me. I have tried various settings but Windows10 seems to ignore the changes. I am not using a screen saver.

CarlLira, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

Sleep and power settings ignored

1. Sleep and power settings ignored - Similar Threads - Sleep power settings

2. Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored: I am having trouble with my Lenovo Yoga 7i 16" running Windows 11 falling asleep extremely quickly. I primarily use my laptop for schoolwork where I am constantly shifting focus from the computer to books or paper, and it's reallllllllly annoying that every time I look down I...
  3. Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored: I am having trouble with my Lenovo Yoga 7i 16" running Windows 11 falling asleep extremely quickly. I primarily use my laptop for schoolwork where I am constantly shifting focus from the computer to books or paper, and it's reallllllllly annoying that every time I look down I...
  4. Windows 11 sleep settings ignored

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 sleep settings ignored: No matter what power settings I select and/or change my Windows 11 monitor screen "sleeps" after about 10 minutes. I've experimented with many settings and they are all ignored. It is annoying to have to enter my password to restart the monitor so often. Can somebody please...
  5. Windows 11 sleep settings ignored

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 sleep settings ignored: No matter what power settings I select and/or change my Windows 11 monitor screen "sleeps" after about 10 minutes. I've experimented with many settings and they are all ignored. It is annoying to have to enter my password to restart the monitor so often. Can somebody please...
  6. Windows 10 monitor does not go to sleep (ignores power setting)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 monitor does not go to sleep (ignores power setting): Hello, I need some help here. I did a clean install of Windows 10 20H2, I downloaded ISO 20H2 19042.631 from TechBench and installed with no problems, I set up all of my programs, drivers (including monitor driver), disabled some services, etc as I would with any other...
  7. Windows 10 monitor does not go to sleep (ignores power setting)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 monitor does not go to sleep (ignores power setting): Hello, I need some help here. I did a clean install of Windows 10 20H2, I downloaded ISO 20H2 19042.631 from TechBench and installed with no problems, I set up all of my programs, drivers (including monitor driver), disabled some services, etc as I would with any other...
  8. power settings ignored

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power settings ignored: Windows 10 is ignoring power settings and locks screen after 1 minute, troubleshooting power settings did not help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-settings-ignored/3933bc6a-c203-4728-bffa-3b8b57dbc455
  9. windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored

windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored: this problem of win 10 ignoring sleep setting is BS , its over a yr old and still happening ! it seems to me that the support team at Microsoft is at sleep !...
  10. Windows 10 Power and Sleep Settings Being Ignored

Windows 10 Power and Sleep Settings Being Ignored: I have my screen and power settings set to Never for both battery and power to keep from timing out. However, Windows 10 completely ignores me and powers down / goes to sleep regardless. How can this be corrected so that the settings are actually taken? Please advise?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored