Windows 10: Sleep and Shut Down

Discus and support Sleep and Shut Down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Labtech_2, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Labtech_2 Win User

Sleep and Shut Down

Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before the update.....I selected the option to have the computer go to sleep when the lid is closed.

Anyone else having this problem?

:)

Labtech_2, Jul 21, 2019

2. Windows 10 upgrade, when I hit sleep the computer shuts down after a while instead of sleep

Thanks. I had already done those steps and it didn't help. I still have the shut down issue after it sleeps for a while. Any other Suggestions?

NancyS. Bostain, Jul 21, 2019
  3. SHUT DOWN / SLEEP FUNCTIONS NOT WORKING

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the laptop?
    • When you say ‘’trying 4 options to enable a shut down’’ which option do you exactly refer to? Are you using any third party software to shut down the computer?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps on sleep mode issue and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Sleep and Shut Down

PC not shutting down or sleeping

Hi Felipe,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding your concern about the shutting down or sleeping in Windows 10. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• What is the last action taken before this issue happens?
    • Any changes made to your hardware?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
    • Have you also tried
      updating your drivers
      ?

We also found a helpful response from Yashwanth Kotakuri on July 7, 2016 in this

thread
    . This will give you steps that resolve the same issue.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist.

Anthony Gal, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Sleep and Shut Down

1. Sleep and Shut Down - Similar Threads - Sleep Shut Down

2. [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer: Hi,When I click the sleep option in the power tab in the start menu, my computer acts as if its sleeping, but when I go to turn on my computer again, even after 1-2 minutes, it boots up again as if it had been shut down.I have a ASUS GL552VW, with Processor IntelR CoreTM...
  3. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  4. Shutting down instead of sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutting down instead of sleeping: When I put it on sleep, it automatically shuts down. I have to force restart every time and loose all my work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/b554dbef-82c7-49ea-ba8a-38c45e25613e
  5. "Sleep" is shutting down pc.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Sleep" is shutting down pc.: my pc used to "go to sleep" without any issue. latly ive install my windows on protable ssd drive, and since then "Sleep" is shutting down pc. the option "sleep" is visible but i acutually turning of pc. what does this happen? is it related to the fact the the system is...
  6. Windows not shutting down/sleeping properly

Windows not shutting down/sleeping properly: This has happened twice now, windows would not shut down properly. when i press shutdown, the monitor goes black but cpu fans and lights keep on running. Moreover, system also doesnt recognize my headphones even tho the ports and headphone itself are functional. I dont know...
  7. Sleep occcasionallly shuts down

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep occcasionallly shuts down: About one in ten times, W10 Pro (64-bit) shuts down instead of auto-sleeps. This began after a z390a motherboard was replaced by an identical board. Every suggestion at this site has been tried. SFC is clean. The latest Intel MEI is installed. Video driver is up-to-date....
  8. Which is better: Sleep or Shut down?

Which is better: Sleep or Shut down?: In terms of perfomance and improving the life of a desktop, is it better to shut the computer down at night or just put it to sleep? I don't use my computer frequently enough to keep it on all the time, and I don't mind waiting an extra 30 seconds for it to boot, but does...
  9. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...
  10. Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.: Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out again! Anyway, the problem is that the whenever I shut down my computer, there's a very short delay...