Windows 10: Sleep function no longer works, screen just shuts off and PC keeps running

Discus and support Sleep function no longer works, screen just shuts off and PC keeps running in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having the exact same issue that this user was having:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Aether388, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Aether388 Win User

Sleep function no longer works, screen just shuts off and PC keeps running

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue that this user was having:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/windows-10-desktop-computer-wont-sleep-it-only/5f56ff57-9dc4-4489-ae84-b6db9f075547

I've tried all the same fixes that were suggested in that thread and ended up in the same place he did namely, right back where I started - unfortunately it looks like he never got another solution after trying those initial troubleshooting steps.

Any ideas as to why it's doing this now? It used to fall asleep without issue, but now it goes into "away" mode as shown by the event viewer. Like I mentioned, I've tried all the aforementioned troubleshooting steps - changing the power plan, running the power troubleshooter etc.

Help would greatly be appreciated, I can't find any other fixes searching the internet for this that fix it. Thank you

:)

Aether388, Feb 14, 2021

2. SHUT DOWN / SLEEP FUNCTIONS NOT WORKING

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the laptop?
    • When you say ‘’trying 4 options to enable a shut down’’ which option do you exactly refer to? Are you using any third party software to shut down the computer?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps on sleep mode issue and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 14, 2021
  3. Whatrymes Win User
    Sleep mode=Black screen, computer keeps running, force shut-down.

My laptop, running Windows Ten from a clean install, has issues with the sleep function. About once a day, when I either put the computer to sleep or when it does it on its own, the screen will go black but the computer will not stop running. All the lights are on, the fan and disks keep running. Nothing works to turn the screen back on and my only option becomes to force a shut down.

I've tried tweaking all the power options in various ways, I've tried disabling/enabling hibernation/fast start and I've searched for an answer but I do not have one.

Thank you,
    Ed

Whatrymes, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Sleep function no longer works, screen just shuts off and PC keeps running

Sleep function disappeared after Creators update also screen brightness buttons stopped working

After creators update sleep function does not work, power options has no option for sleep.

• In Start>Power sleep does not show, only Hibernate Shut down and Restart.
    • Cannot change screen brightness, buttons stopped working, Action center lost the screen brightness button, Windows Mobility center brightness control has no affect.

JodySolell, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

Sleep function no longer works, screen just shuts off and PC keeps running

1. Sleep function no longer works, screen just shuts off and PC keeps running - Similar Threads - Sleep function longer

2. Pc Keeps Shutting Off!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc Keeps Shutting Off!: I've had this problem for the better part of half a year and it's driving me nuts. I first encountered this problem out of the blue when just using my pc normally and then it wouldn't stop showing the Shutting Down... Screen and then shutting down. I updated to windows 11...
  3. Pc Keeps Shutting Off!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc Keeps Shutting Off!: I've had this problem for the better part of half a year and it's driving me nuts. I first encountered this problem out of the blue when just using my pc normally and then it wouldn't stop showing the Shutting Down... Screen and then shutting down. I updated to windows 11...
  4. PC keeps shutting off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps shutting off: A few days back my pc had constant issues. At one point i couldn't even get in Windows anymore. I went to a pc store and they re-installed windows 11 and i updates all drivers, seemed to work for a little while. Fast forward 2 days later and the errors are back. They are not...
  5. PC keeps shutting off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC keeps shutting off: A few days back my pc had constant issues. At one point i couldn't even get in Windows anymore. I went to a pc store and they re-installed windows 11 and i updates all drivers, seemed to work for a little while. Fast forward 2 days later and the errors are back. They are not...
  6. "Turn off display" function no longer work, laptop goes into sleep mode instead.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Turn off display" function no longer work, laptop goes into sleep mode instead.: Hi, I've just received back my notebook from Repair and was told that the motherboard was changed. I brought it back to test, and so I went to reset the PC via the OS itself I verified with one of the staff and he told me it was okay to do so. I proceeded to leave it on to...
  7. Video shuts off - PC keeps running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video shuts off - PC keeps running: Randomly the screens will say No signal and the only way the get them back is to reboot. This is on an upgrade and a new install on a new hard drive. All drivers and Windows up to date. Spent hours with NVidia support - nothing wrong found. OS Name Microsoft Windows 10...
  8. PC keeps randomly shutting off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC keeps randomly shutting off: I recently built my brother a new computer and everything is working fine except for one major problem: The PC randomly freezes and reboots, and when booted from sleep/hibernate state is completely frozen Specs: CPU - 2700x GPU - RX 5700 MOBO - ASUSTek B450-M RAM - 32GB...
  9. Shutting Off Screen Lock Settings No Longer Works

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shutting Off Screen Lock Settings No Longer Works: I've always shut off screen locking, hibernation, screen saver, and sleep. For as many years as these features have existed, I've turned them off. Around a month ago I started finding my screens blank upon returning to my system after a half hour or so. A click of the...
  10. Disable Hybrid Sleep function no longer working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable Hybrid Sleep function no longer working: Since the 19th when my computer installed the following updates Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173) Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (KB3119142) Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for...