Windows 10: Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

Discus and support Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sahitcs, Nov 7, 2019.

1. sahitcs Win User

Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

Hello,

Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to windows 10 instead of previous 8.1.

Till then, the laptop is facing issues with sleep, hibernate & shut down functions. When I perform those actions, the laptop screen goes off but the fan works and power indicator still glows. It will struck in that state till the battery drains or I use force shut down.

I had asked in the HP service center to update all drivers and to do BIOS updates (As some of the answers in this and other forums suggested that).

They did and observed the laptop for two days and said that this problem is occurring only when the PC is connected to internet. So they were saying that thus problem relates to something wrong with WiFi card and suggested to use PC like this by doing force shutdown whenever it got struck.

Is that the real issue ? Can anyone identify what's the real problem and suggest any solution ?

:)

sahitcs, Nov 7, 2019
  2. claylomax Win User

Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

Speaking of ... I just built a new PC with an AMD Kaveri and Windows 7 64 and the option sleep is greyed out, I get shut down and hibernate; it's funny, on my PC (see specs) I get sleep and shut down not hibernate. I tried the bios but I'm clueless. Any ideas?

claylomax, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Aquinus Win User

When sleep is grayed out it probably means that you're missing a driver required to do it or rather a device is incapable of going to sleep, but more often than not it's drivers that haven't been installed. I would make sure you're not missing any chipset or something.

Aquinus, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

I have always shut down my own machines every night (even during the day if I know I will be gone). I haven't encountered any issues besides a little boredom as it boots up in the morning.

Sleep and hibernation states have improved over the years but sleep has killed a lot of older computers (circa 2000). I have found that hard drives and power supplies tend to last the longest in computers that aren't running when necessary.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

1. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue - Similar Threads - Sleep Hibernate Shut

2. shut down and hibernate not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shut down and hibernate not working: my notebook computer. when I shun down or hibernate, the screen will dark a few seconds and then turn to light. for solve the problem, I have reinstalled in USB flash drive but invalid. I try to turn off fast startup follow advice on Internet. In Administrator cmd, I'm run...
  3. Computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down.: I encountered a bugcheck, and ever since then, my computer won't sleep, hibernate, nor shut down. Any attempts to pause the operation of the computer shows the login screen after a couple seconds of turning the monitor off.Before the bugcheck, pressing the power button...
  4. Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.: Greetings, everyone! <3 I know there had been threads on this topic, but none of those helped me. Here are my PC specs mind you it's PC, not a laptop: Processor: AMD A6-9500 RADEON R4+5, 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G 3.50 GHz RAM: 4 GB Hard: 120 GB SSD System type: 64-bit...
  5. Hibernation shuts down the PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation shuts down the PC: Everytime I click on hibernate, instead of hibernating, it immediately and instantly shuts down the PC and next time I open up, I have to open all apps. It just goes OFF instantly The power plan settings hard disk turn off is set to 0 as advised. This happened after may 2020...
  6. Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation: Hi As far as I can tell, after sleep/hibernation (being left for a long period, usually overnight), I come back ro my PC to find that it has completely shutdown. It is encrypted with a bitlocker password so I suppose if an update is applied overnight then this would be the...
  7. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  8. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...
  9. Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down: [Note: I am running Windows 10 on the new Retina MacBook via Boot Camp] I've been a Windows user for 20 years so I know the differences between each of these. But in Windows 10 I am experiencing significant battery drains that are not consistent with the performance from...
  10. Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating: So, I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop ( HP ProBook 440 G2 ), but I've been facing some issues where, after a short period of usage (around 20 minutes and beyond) the OS simply shuts down when I close the lid or manually press the Suspend button, even tho I...