Windows 10: Sleep & Hibernate

Discus and support Sleep & Hibernate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Other than maybe creating a custom power plan via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Create a Power Plan, how do I get my laptop to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MasterYoda1041, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Sleep & Hibernate

Other than maybe creating a custom power plan via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Create a Power Plan, how do I get my laptop to sleep or hibernate automatically?

Long story short, I was using my laptop and Microsoft Edge to watch shows on CBS.com last night. My plan was to lay in bed and watch on my television (I have an HDMI cable for connecting my laptop and television). However, I quickly realized that, if I wanted to do that, I could only think of two options about what to do when I was done watching: one: get out of bed to put my laptop to sleep, or two: leave it on all night. It would be nice if I could just do something like say, “Hey, Cortana. Put my computer to sleep at 12:30 AM.”

:)

MasterYoda1041, Jan 31, 2019
  2. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

Sleep & Hibernate 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Yo_Wattup Win User
    sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Sleep & Hibernate

Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

Sleep & Hibernate

1. Sleep & Hibernate - Similar Threads - Sleep Hibernate

2. Windows periodically does not come out of either Hibernation or Sleep Mode - please read on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows periodically does not come out of either Hibernation or Sleep Mode - please read on: I know that there have been many variations of this question on these forums throughout the years. My Windows 10 PC version 22H2, build 19045.4170 has a periodic issue that has been driving me nuts because I've read most of the suggestions on how to fix it, etc.What occurs is...
  3. Windows periodically does not come out of either Hibernation or Sleep Mode - please read on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows periodically does not come out of either Hibernation or Sleep Mode - please read on: I know that there have been many variations of this question on these forums throughout the years. My Windows 10 PC version 22H2, build 19045.4170 has a periodic issue that has been driving me nuts because I've read most of the suggestions on how to fix it, etc.What occurs is...
  4. Windows periodically does not come out of either Hibernation or Sleep Mode - please read on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving between my dorm and home cuts my fps in half and causes my pc to hibernate after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving between my dorm and home cuts my fps in half and causes my pc to hibernate after sleep: I have decided to bring my pc to my college dorm and use different monitors when I switch between the two. The one I use at home is an Acer KB272 and the one I use at the dorm is a Viewsonic VX2252 monitor. Other differences are that I use different hdmi cables for each and I...
  6. Moving between my dorm and home cuts my fps in half and causes my pc to hibernate after sleep

Moving between my dorm and home cuts my fps in half and causes my pc to hibernate after sleep: I have decided to bring my pc to my college dorm and use different monitors when I switch between the two. The one I use at home is an Acer KB272 and the one I use at the dorm is a Viewsonic VX2252 monitor. Other differences are that I use different hdmi cables for each and I...
  7. Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn...: Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn off first. - Reproduced with same results every time on two different Windows 10 laptops.- Computers had all current updates and had been left on and idle for long enough that there was...
  8. Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn...: Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn off first. - Reproduced with same results every time on two different Windows 10 laptops.- Computers had all current updates and had been left on and idle for long enough that there was...
  9. Windows 10 will not automatically enter sleep or hibernation unless display is set to turn...

10. Cannot enable Power Options for Sleep and Hibernate.

Cannot enable Power Options for Sleep and Hibernate.: Currently Power Options offers just Shut-down and Restart.When I enter "powercfg -h on" I get an error reply of "The following items are preventing hibernation on this system. An internal system component has disabled hibernation. Guarded Host" What is Guarded Host? For a...