Windows 10: Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue

Discus and support Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, Using HP desktop with Windows 10. Latest Fall Creator Update installed. After the latest update my machine wouldn't wake up after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sylvan, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Sylvan Win User

Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue

Greetings,

Using HP desktop with Windows 10. Latest Fall Creator Update installed.

After the latest update my machine wouldn't wake up after sleep mode. The screen is blank although I can hear "rumbling" in the background as if the hard drive were indeed on but I see nothing. I have to shut down manually and restart. The Power Setting remained on Balanced since I first purchased the computer last year and it always woke up. I tried changing the power options to "put the computer to sleep: Never" and that works. But obviously this is not a solution, just a delay, and I don't want to stay with this "never" option. I have also read that one can turn off Hibernation but again, to my mind, this not a preferable option to the existing problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

PS. Oh, and what does "Post a Poll" mean on this web page?

:)

Sylvan, Nov 12, 2017
  2. DaveCG Win User

Transition from sleep to hibernate fails

I have a problem with my laptop not hibernating from sleep following the creators edition update.

Before the update I had my machine set to sleep after 20 minutes and hibernate after 30 minutes

For my usage this worked perfectly, if I didn't wake the machine up from sleep then

I would probably not be back for some time so would hibernate to save power.

Following the creators update my laptop would sleep fine but when it wakes to hibernate it fails and

goes back to sleep. This repeats for ever until I wake the machine.

If I manually hibernate the laptop it works fine.

I have tracked the problem down to a wake timer being set for a backup to a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

This wake timer prevents hibernating from sleep even if the wake timer is set for many hours in the future.

If I disable the task that sets this wake timer the sleep then hibernate operation works as it used to but

of course the backup never runs.

If I change the power option for wake timers to important events only the laptop works as it used to but it does not wake up

to carry out the backup.

I have carried out a number of tests and have discovered that any wake timer that is timed within 24 hours of the

attempt to go from sleep to hibernate will cause the transition to fail.

Could someone please test this as I can't believe this is how Microsoft designed it!!

DaveCG, Nov 12, 2017
  3. TomHaws Win User
    Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while

When I put Windows 10 to sleep, then wake it up within a few minutes, it wakes up promptly as expected after a sleep. And it wakes up if I tap my keyboard, which also is expected.

But if I come back to wake the computer after a long time, it appears to have settled into hibernation.

1. The keyboard will not wake it up. I have to press the power button.

2. The manufacturer startup screen is displayed like on hibernation resume, and the resumption takes a long time sometimes.

Why does sleep turn into hibernation? Can I stop this behavior? All of the above happens while my Dell laptop is plugged in continuously.

Tom

TomHaws, Nov 12, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

There are many threads on this problem. Start by turning Off Fast Startup (this disables hibernation, by default). Turn On your preferred Sleep settings and test for a couple days. If this fixes it, you can turn off Hibernation in a command prompt (admin) to delete the hiberfil.sys taking up space by typing powercfg -h off then Enter. I know this means Shut Down vs Hibernation to save power but I've had this setting for a long time, as do many others, and no wake issues anymore.

mrgeek, Nov 12, 2017
  5. Sylvan Win User
    Thank you for your quick reply.

I will attempt your suggestions. Forgive my naivete but I want to understand the logic here:
    1. Has some kind of corruption occurred with my system? If so, simply turning off Hibernation seems to skirt whatever the real problem is, not fix it.
    2. If, as you mention, turning off Fast Startup disables Hibernation and the problem does not recur, why then should I follow up and delete the file hiberfil.sys? Why not simply keep Hibernation disabled?

Finally, I had asked in my original post what "Post a Poll" meant.

Thx, once again.

Sylvan, Nov 12, 2017
  6. Sylvan Win User
    Does anyone else have any comments/suggestions with respect to the questions in my post above?

Thx for helping me out.

Sylvan, Nov 13, 2017
  7. Saltgrass Win User
    The Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update has caused problems, which may look different depending on system, for many users.

I have a Modern Standby system and the problems with shutdown and hibernation have made the system almost unusable and I have rolled back to the previous build. Microsoft has told me my system is not compatible with the upgrade, which seems strange for a system only 7 months old....

Hoping for a fix from Microsoft shortly although they are not acknowledging any problems with the Build but are blaming it on OEM systems.

I think these problems go with changes made for Modern Standby or InstantGo systems, but I cannot verify. It is interesting that Fast Startup uses a hibernation file and the Hibernation process seems to be broken.

And no, corruption on your system is not the problem.

Saltgrass, Nov 13, 2017
  8. Sylvan Win User

Thx for the quick and informative reply. And I appreciate you answering my first question. The second question concerns mrgeek's suggestions (2. If, as you mention, turning off Fast Startup disables Hibernation and the problem does not recur, why then should I follow up and delete the file hiberfil.sys? Why not simply keep Hibernation disabled?) and remains for your consideration.

Glad to hear that my system is ok and that there "might" be a fix soon.

Sylvan, Nov 13, 2017
  9. Saltgrass Win User
    mrgeek may have some reason of which I am not aware but I did not need to turn it off on my upgraded system.. The system would still not hibernate when I asked it to.

My system is OK if I do not upgrade to the new build. Not being to upgrade a 7 month old system seems a little ridiculous.

If Microsoft truly believes it is not their problem, there may not be a fix. I have to wonder how many testing groups broke down for the build to be released, probably several. There is a possibility Microsoft was aware of the problem but released the upgrade anyway... Windows 10 is a Beta OS, right *Wink

Saltgrass, Nov 13, 2017
  10. Sylvan Win User
    Many thx for taking the time to detail the issue and good luck with future upgrades to your new system Saltgrass. No end, it seems, to Microsoft realizing the existence of these kinds of problems and doing nothing to make a fix available. How many complaints does it take..... lol.

Thx, again.

Sylvan, Nov 13, 2017
  11. Pirx Win User
    Correct. That OS is in an eternal beta state, with some pieces of software that come with it barely even reaching that level. As a matter of fact, if you look under the hood at the way they have grafted on stuff using a duct tape and bale wire approach to what already was a Rube Goldberg contraption of an OS, it's a small wonder anything's working at all. That's perfectly fine with Microsoft, since the people using it seem fine with it, too. On the other hand, if you need to get real work done on a PC, you should use a mature OS. In that case your only choice is Windows 7, if you also need to use industry-standard software.

12. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, Nov 13, 2017
  13. Sylvan Win User

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Sylvan, Nov 13, 2017
  14. Gordon7 Win User
    @Sylvan - "(2. If, as you mention, turning off Fast Startup disables Hibernation and the problem does not recur, why then should I follow up and delete the file hiberfil.sys? Why not simply keep Hibernation disabled?"

When you turn off Hibernation - Windows will by it self, automatically delete the hiberfil.sys, and free disk space for other use!

Gordon7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue - Similar Threads - Sleep Hibernation wake

2. PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating: Hello Ms Community, I have an interesting problem I need your help with.As in the title, my PC is set up to turn screen off after 15 min, go to sleep after 30 min and finally hibernate after 120 min of inactivity. It does the first 2 things without a hitch, but has problems...
  3. PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC wakes up from sleep instead of hibernating: Hello Ms Community, I have an interesting problem I need your help with.As in the title, my PC is set up to turn screen off after 15 min, go to sleep after 30 min and finally hibernate after 120 min of inactivity. It does the first 2 things without a hitch, but has problems...
  4. Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep

Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep: Here is minidump attached. What can I do?https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W9d-obpJtdEZ3kvZVFMis3D3Se2v-o9a/view?usp=share_link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-after-waking-up-from-hibernatesleep/6408f6c8-e2d8-477f-ac7c-583016dd156b
  5. Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep: I notice my laptop always face BSOD when waking up from either hibernate mode or sleep mode. The BSOD error is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"Tried sfc /scannow but no issue found.Here is the link for the minidump files and system...
  6. Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep

Bluescreen after waking up from Hibernate/Sleep: I notice my laptop always face BSOD when waking up from either hibernate mode or sleep mode. The BSOD error is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"Tried sfc /scannow but no issue found.Here is the link for the minidump files and system...
  7. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  8. Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation: Winver: 19041.572 I made it hibernate yesterday around 5AM and look at how many times it woke up and went back to sleep: I ran this command on powershell "Get-WinEvent -Providername Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter -MaxEvents 5 | Format-List TimeCreated,Message"...
  9. WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep or hibernation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIndows 10 will not wake up from sleep or hibernation: I am running windows 10 19041.388 on an HP All in One PC and cannot get it to wake up from sleep. I have done the following: Allow mouse and keyboard to allow device to wake up computer. Updated drivers Turn off fast start up Re-enable Hibernation via Command Prompt USB...
  10. Sleep/Hibernation won't wake up after longer sleeps

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep/Hibernation won't wake up after longer sleeps: Hey everyone! First of all I'm glad to see TenForums is around, SevenForums way back when saved me more than a few times and was consistently a quality board *Smile So I configured my PC and network to support Wake on LAN, and after a long time trying to get it to work...