Windows 10: Sleep issue. PC wont sleep unless Hibernate is enabled?!

Discus and support Sleep issue. PC wont sleep unless Hibernate is enabled?! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So the short of it is, my pc wont go to sleep UNLESS I enable hibernate time as well. Not sure exactly when it became an issue - right around the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Apr 17, 2019.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Sleep issue. PC wont sleep unless Hibernate is enabled?!

So the short of it is, my pc wont go to sleep UNLESS I enable hibernate time as well.

Not sure exactly when it became an issue - right around the time I bought an oculus rift and added a USB3 card and new ssd.

ive already been through the ringer with powercfg -energy which gives me 18 items, all usb items that refuse to go into selective suspend. No idea what thats about.

im clear on the powercfg -requests and im clear minus the windows update thingy on powercfg -waketimers

(pc doesnt wake from sleep anyhow, just wont GO to sleep).

Ive removed the pci-e usb3 card which didnt help. Disconnected the oculus and disabled the service which didnt help.

Its unrelated to those.

Could Intel management engine drivers or firmware do this? i update those relatively regularly.

I just dont know where to go next. I mean having hibernate enabled in order to sleep isnt the worst thing in the world, just not normally the way i do things - and doing it that way would just be masking whatever the problem is.

Thanks for any insight.

:)

klepp0906, Apr 17, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Yo_Wattup Win User
    sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Apr 17, 2019
  4. claylomax Win User

Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

Speaking of ... I just built a new PC with an AMD Kaveri and Windows 7 64 and the option sleep is greyed out, I get shut down and hibernate; it's funny, on my PC (see specs) I get sleep and shut down not hibernate. I tried the bios but I'm clueless. Any ideas?

claylomax, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Sleep issue. PC wont sleep unless Hibernate is enabled?! - Similar Threads - Sleep issue wont

2. Sleep / Hibernate Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep / Hibernate Issues: Hi all - I have a new HP Spectre laptop and am having a strange issue. I have seen several others post on similar things but not exactly this one.I noticed that when I close the lid of my laptop it will not go into Sleep or Hibernate regardless of which setting I choose. Yes...
  3. Sleep / Hibernate Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep / Hibernate Issues: Hi all - I have a new HP Spectre laptop and am having a strange issue. I have seen several others post on similar things but not exactly this one.I noticed that when I close the lid of my laptop it will not go into Sleep or Hibernate regardless of which setting I choose. Yes...
  4. My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly: usually when I put my pc to sleep or hibernate it anything connected stays powered and I can turn it back on by a mouse click or another input but now it just shuts off and takes a long time to do so also my rgb resets and apps close. i tried updates, restarts, and scans like...
  5. My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly

My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly: usually when I put my pc to sleep or hibernate it anything connected stays powered and I can turn it back on by a mouse click or another input but now it just shuts off and takes a long time to do so also my rgb resets and apps close. i tried updates, restarts, and scans like...
  6. Sleep and Hibernation Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep and Hibernation Issues: Hello,My Windows 11 PC closes all applications mimics a shutdown whenever I put my PC to sleep or hibernate for an extended period of time, typically over 3 hours....
  7. Sleep and Hibernation Issues

Sleep and Hibernation Issues: Hello,My Windows 11 PC closes all applications mimics a shutdown whenever I put my PC to sleep or hibernate for an extended period of time, typically over 3 hours....
  8. Hibernate/sleep issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate/sleep issue: Greeting all, ill try not to wast your time. every time i try to hibernate the computer/desktop, it turns back on.from what i know, yesterday it had a blue screen whilst it was going into hibernation turning it back on, though the problem didn't show up then, i did moved the...
  9. Hibernate/sleep issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate/sleep issue: Greeting all, ill try not to wast your time. every time i try to hibernate the computer/desktop, it turns back on.from what i know, yesterday it had a blue screen whilst it was going into hibernation turning it back on, though the problem didn't show up then, i did moved the...
  10. Hibernate/sleep issue

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer won sleep hibernation enabled