Windows 10: Sleep mode and powering down not working properly

Discus and support Sleep mode and powering down not working properly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So a few months ago I started having this problem with my desktop PC that I haven't been able to solve. What is happening is that whenever I try to set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EthanCline, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Sleep mode and powering down not working properly

So a few months ago I started having this problem with my desktop PC that I haven't been able to solve. What is happening is that whenever I try to set my computer to sleep mode or turn it off through the windows menu in the bottom left corner the computer acts odd. The behavior I am about to describe is identical between both the sleep mode and power off options, the computer will remain on, the fans will start spinning at full speed, and nothing will wake the computer back up except for turning it off and back on again. The only difference is that when the computer is turned back on, if I chose to turn it off it acts like a normal boot-up and if I chose to sleep it will act as it would if you turned off any computer that was in sleep mode. At this point, I have tried many different things, like when the problem first arose I tweaked sleep settings and power settings. I also have reset my computers BIOS and most recently reset my windows using the internal "reset this PC" option in windows 10. It doesn't seem to be harming my hardware and I didn't end up using the computer too much over the summer, but I am worried about this becoming a bigger problem when my classes start in a few weeks.

I have an intel core i7-7700k, ASRock z270 extreme4 p2-20 motherboard, and windows 10 home 64 bit. If you need any other hardware or software information I would be happy to provide it.

:)

EthanCline, Sep 7, 2020

2. sleep mode and power options not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

For issues with sleep mode and power options follow the steps provided below.

Run the Power troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in search and click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Now type Power in the search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter to run.

I would suggest you to try updating the Display driver and check if the issue persists. If you already have all the latest drivers from Windows updates, then I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest
    drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Sep 7, 2020
  3. sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Sleep mode and powering down not working properly

Sleep mode no longer function on display power?

Hi,

Thank you for posting to our Microsoft Community.

Please follow the below methods and check if it works,

Method 1: Power Troubleshoot.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with power. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Power.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.
    Method 2:

Please let us know whether you are able to see the sleep mode options by referring the following steps

1. In Search bar type Control panel

2. Select Power options

3. In power saver select change power settings and after that
    select Change advanced power settings in that check whether you can see the
    sleep mode.

Also refer the below link,

Power plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Reply us if you have further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Sleep mode and powering down not working properly

1. Sleep mode and powering down not working properly - Similar Threads - Sleep mode powering

2. sleep mode not working properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep mode not working properly: i have set my settings so whenever i close the lid my laptop will go to sleep but from 2 to 3 days it is not going in sleep mode when i close the lid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-not-working-properly/f784333e-6b82-4044-bef3-d41ebe4e091d
  3. sleep mode not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sleep mode not working properly: i have set my settings so whenever i close the lid my laptop will go to sleep but from 2 to 3 days it is not going in sleep mode when i close the lid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-not-working-properly/f784333e-6b82-4044-bef3-d41ebe4e091d
  4. sleep mode not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No SLEEP - powers down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No SLEEP - powers down: An ASUS z390a, I7-8000, running Windows 10 was recently updated with the current BIOS, and switched to UEFI/GPT/secure boot in prep for Win 11.SLEEP no longer works correctly, but instead powers down after a few minutes. When the power button is subsequently pressed W10 soon...
  6. No SLEEP - powers down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No SLEEP - powers down: An ASUS z390a, I7-8000, running Windows 10 was recently updated with the current BIOS, and switched to UEFI/GPT/secure boot in prep for Win 11.SLEEP no longer works correctly, but instead powers down after a few minutes. When the power button is subsequently pressed W10 soon...
  7. No SLEEP - powers down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode

Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode: After my computer enters sleep mode for some time it will automatically shut down or power off rather than just remaining in sleep mode. it is a Dell XPS Studio 9100 running Windows 10. I have checked power settings and can't find any obvious problems. Any ideas on solving...
  9. In sleep mode, does the PSU power down?

In sleep mode, does the PSU power down?: I thought this would be an easy question to answer, but I'm stymied by Google and all I've found, here, is "how to", not, "this happens to your hardware". The computer goes to sleep - all fans inactive - and it wakes, just fine. I know the monitors - I have 3 - go into sleep...
  10. Sleep (power option) not working properly

Sleep (power option) not working properly: Hi Recently, I had to re-install Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 15R, 5537 Laptop (i5 2.3GHz 8MB ram). After re-installing with updated drivers, I noticed that SLEEP option is not working properly. Before re-installing, closing the lid used to stop all the applications...