Windows 10: Sleep mode in Windows 10 is broken

Discus and support Sleep mode in Windows 10 is broken in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Have you recently (within the last year) made a major change to the way Sleep works in Windows 10? It used to work when Windows 10 was launched, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Rennison, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Rennison Win User

Sleep mode in Windows 10 is broken

Have you recently (within the last year) made a major change to the way Sleep works in Windows 10? It used to work when Windows 10 was launched, but lately it fails catastrophically almost every time I try to use it. Case studies as follows:

HP Laptop (ZBook 17): When waking from sleep, display is corrupted. Looks like the screen has been filled with a random memory dump. Forcing a power cycle fixes the problem.

Permanent fix: Disable sleep mode when closing lid / pressing power key. Enable Hibernation and use this instead.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4: When waking from sleep, machine crashes 9 times out of 10. This usually happens in the Surface splash screen before the spinning dots appear. In this case I am taken to the UEFI screen. 10-20 hard resets will sometimes allow me back into Windows, but Windows will always crash back to the UEFI boot cycle again within an hour. Reinstalling Windows fixes the problem temporarily but I have to do this every time I close the lid. It was taking me 20-30 minutes to boot the thing up whenever I wanted to use it.

Permanent fix: Disable sleep mode when closing lid / pressing power key. Enable Hibernation and use this instead.

Clearly there is a problem with sleep mode in Windows 10. Please either revert sleep mode to the process used in the original Windows 10 release or find out how you made such a mess of the current version.

On a related note, is it possible to install Linux on the Surface Pro 4?

:)

Rennison, Dec 31, 2018

2. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Jan 10, 2020
  3. sleep mode in windows 10

Hi,

The challenge that you are having with the sleep mode on Windows 10 may be caused by misconfigured power settings on your computer. We suggest to check this thread:

Win 10 reboots after sleep mode
    . Look for MVP Mike Hall... always replied. It contains troubleshooting steps pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 wont stay in sleep mode

yes, it was already off.

its waking up one hour after it sleeps for about 2 minutes, then sleeping again. How the eff can i track what it does in that time if nothing shows in powerCFG or the event log?

Mussels, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Sleep mode in Windows 10 is broken - Similar Threads - Sleep mode broken

2. Sleep mode broken, suspected by KB5019509

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode broken, suspected by KB5019509: Hello,A problem appeared apparently after installing KB5019509: My screen no longer goes to sleep after selected time, and my PC no longer goes to standby after another longer selected time. Before installing KB5019509 it worked. And I did not install any other hardware...
  3. Sleep mode broken, suspected by KB5019509

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode broken, suspected by KB5019509: Hello,A problem appeared apparently after installing KB5019509: My screen no longer goes to sleep after selected time, and my PC no longer goes to standby after another longer selected time. Before installing KB5019509 it worked. And I did not install any other hardware...
  4. Windows 10 sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 sleep mode: I recently built a new PC and I cannot seem to get it to wake up from sleep mode. I tried to disable fast startup, I turned hibernate off and on, I turned hybrid sleep off and on. I even changed the power settings to the usb in the motherboard bios. Does anyone else have any...
  5. Windows 10 sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 sleep mode: I recently built a new PC and I cannot seem to get it to wake up from sleep mode. I tried to disable fast startup, I turned hibernate off and on, I turned hybrid sleep off and on. I even changed the power settings to the usb in the motherboard bios. Does anyone else have any...
  6. Windows 10 sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Broken Light Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken Light Mode in Windows 10: Hi there, I have been using Windows 10 Dark Mode ever since it came out. But now that I wanted to change to the Light Mode, I am facing issues getting the original Light Mode back. I have tweaked with all the options available underPersonalize > Color but nothing has...
  8. Sleep mode broken (Win 10 Pro x64)

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode broken (Win 10 Pro x64): In December I upgraded a desktop (Intel i7-3770K 16Gb/Gigabyte Technology &SSD) from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro, but since 12 January the computer will not wake from sleep mode (power button needed to reboot). There were no problems with sleep mode under Win 7; there were 2...
  9. Windows 10 Sleep mode

Windows 10 Sleep mode: Although I have adjusted power settings in Windows 10 so that it should not happen, when I close the lid of my HP laptop, the screen goes black but the power is still on. I cannot then get the screen to display. I have to turn the computer off and reboot. Any ideas? Thanks....
  10. sleep mode windows 10

sleep mode windows 10: My computer is in sleep mode and it will not wake up. I have reset the computer and still nothing comes up. How do I fix this. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-windows-10/231a6688-627f-4d92-a5c0-8710ddd12ddb

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 sleep broken

2. windows 10 update sleep mode issues

3. after windows 10 update hibernation

4. tower doesnt go to sleep after windows update 1903