Windows 10: Sleep mode not locking laptop?

Discus and support Sleep mode not locking laptop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I hit 'sleep' mode on my keyboard or I press the power button on my laptop so it temporary locks, it doesn't actually locks/temporary shuts. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hellosandwich_, May 23, 2020.

1. Sleep mode not locking laptop?

When I hit 'sleep' mode on my keyboard or I press the power button on my laptop so it temporary locks, it doesn't actually locks/temporary shuts.

It just makes the screen go black and you can 'unlock' the laptop just by pressing any key or moving the mouse.

I'm pissed. What the hell is this? I've had this laptop for two years and everything worked fine: when I wanted to leave my laptop unattended, I'd press the power off button, when I'd have to move the mouse or press any key and enter my password.

Now, in order to lock my laptop when I leave, I'll have to close everything and fully shut it off.

Is there a way to fix this, so I will have to enter my password when I press the power button? Thanks.

EDIT: I've been hitting the sleeping mode for quite some time now and apparently, it won't go to sleeping mode every time - just when ever it wants. It used to lock even when the 'fan' noises where still on, but now to make sure it's locked, I need to hear the fan die down. Any idea why this started happening?

submitted by /u/hellosandwich_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hellosandwich_, May 23, 2020
  2. Chadi Win User

ASUS Laptop Won't Wake from Sleep Mode

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model UX490UAR
    System Type x64-based PC
    SMBIOS Version 3.0

Problem: about 80% of the time, my laptop won't wake up from sleep mode via keyboard press or mouse move/click. I seem to be missing many common features in power plan too, even after fresh Windows 10 install.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (clean)
    2. Updated all drivers
    3. Replicated on multiple Windows 10 versions, updates
    4. BIOS latest version
    5. No USB devices attached, ever. Only USB-C power and bluetooth mouse
    6. Disabled "fast startup" in control panel

Sleep mode not locking laptop? [​IMG]

Chadi, May 23, 2020
  3. PJS
    pjs Win User
    PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

4. Sleep mode not locking laptop?

sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Sleep mode not locking laptop?

1. Sleep mode not locking laptop? - Similar Threads - Sleep mode locking

2. no sleep mode on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no sleep mode on laptop: hi, this device doesn't have the sleep choice on power choices + it's settings doesn't show up on power options settings, It requires display adapter driver update but it automatically updates it to intelR graphics 4000 and this crushes the pc showing a blue screen error...
  3. no sleep mode on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no sleep mode on laptop: hi, this device doesn't have the sleep choice on power choices + it's settings doesn't show up on power options settings, It requires display adapter driver update but it automatically updates it to intelR graphics 4000 and this crushes the pc showing a blue screen error...
  4. Laptop in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop in sleep mode: I am a college student and use my laptop everyday. I am constantly storing my laptop and taking it out of my backpack between classes. Is it ok to keep my laptop on sleep mode as I move between classes or should I power off? I have both an ssd and hhd so it doesn’t take very...
  5. Laptop in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop in sleep mode: I am a college student and use my laptop everyday. I am constantly storing my laptop and taking it out of my backpack between classes. Is it ok to keep my laptop on sleep mode as I move between classes or should I power off? I have both an ssd and hhd so it doesn’t take very...
  6. sleep mode and system lock

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep mode and system lock: I am using windows 10 and my monitor goes to lock mode if i am not using mouse after 30 seconds. I have checked sleep mode, power mode, plug-in mode and all other things and still i am finding same difficulty....
  7. My laptop randomly locks and goes into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop randomly locks and goes into sleep mode: When using my laptop it randomly says "locking" and goes into sleep mode. It happens more often when I'm playing a game. Does somebody know how to fix this? submitted by /u/bananabeacon [link] [comments]...
  8. Sleep mode and lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sleep mode and lock screen: I have disabled sleep mode but now do not have a locked screen. How can turn this function on. I have gone to settings but only sleep mode is available for locked screen. Thanks....
  9. Sleep mode locks the screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep mode locks the screen: When I click on Windows / Power / Sleep mode, it often locks the screen instead. When I repeat the procedure it finally makes my Dell XPS 13 notebook sleep. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-locks-the-screen/496ae348-9ba0-4b59-a006-138444ffc174
  10. Keyboards locked to Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboards locked to Sleep Mode: Hi, Could you please help me with my keyboard? After a while, it's Shift button (left) & 6,7,8,9 buttons when hit the laptop will be enter to Sleep Mode. I use Windows 10. Any suggestions for normalized these buttons? Thanks....