Windows 10: Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep?

Discus and support Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Bottom line up front, my computer produces differentresults in sleep mode, depending on if I initiate putting the system to sleepversus following the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ricky_cohen2004, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep?

Bottom line up front, my computer produces differentresults in sleep mode, depending on if I initiate putting the system to sleepversus following the configured power plan.

1 When I manually put the computer to sleep Start >Power > Sleep, I can observe that my display shuts off immediately and allcase/cpu fans, LED's, and peripheral USB devices shut off within about 10seconds. This is my expected result.

3 When I let me computer go to sleep after idling for 5 minutes advanced powersettings listed below based on the power settings, I observe that my displayshuts off immediately, but NONE of my case/cpu fans, LEDs, or peripheral USBdevices shut off, regardless of time passed. Even an hour later, all thesedevices remain powered. This is not my expected result.

-------------ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS--------------

Hard Disk:

- Turn off hard disk after: 1 Minute

Sleep:

- Sleep after: 5 Minutes

- Allow hybrid sleep: On

- Hibernate after: 1 Minute

- Allow wake timers: Enable

USB Settings:

- USB selective suspend setting: EnabledHave also tried Disabled

PCI Express:

- Link State Power Management: Moderatepower savings

Processor Power Management:

- Minimum Processor Rate: 5%

- System cooling policy: Passive Have alsotried Enabled

- Maximum processor state: 100%

When I press the power button: Sleep

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What needs to be configured to allow Windows to sleep with the same desired result as manually selecting the option in the Start menu?

:)

ricky_cohen2004, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Wingo101 Win User

Is it safe to put your pc in sleep mode?

My pc goes to sleep after about 1 hour of idle time. Is it safe to put the pc in sleep mode?

Won't it decrease the lifetime of the gpu, cpu, etc. If they are turned off and on straight-away?

Wingo101, Feb 25, 2021
  3. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Feb 25, 2021
  4. qubit Win User

Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep?

Is it safe to put your pc in sleep mode?

It's not a good idea to turn a PC off and on rapidly and/or often, because thermal cycling stresses the components and can cause them to fail early - high performance graphics cards especially. It's all a bit of a grey area this, so if you're doing some testing that requires it, don't sweat over it too much. Disconnect the HD though, if possible.

When I don't use the PC, I always put it into sleep mode instead of shutting it down, because it starts up so much quicker. Because I use Vista, I get the advantage of hybrid sleep, which has the advantages of hybernation and sleep modes - if you unplug it from the mains while sleeping, it just boots up from hybernation instead. *Cool Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep? :cool:

qubit, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep?

1. Sleep Mode on Timer Different Than Manually Putting System to Sleep? - Similar Threads - Sleep Mode Timer

2. if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping: if i put the laptop in sleep mode, lock screen is not appearingi tried many times, it has been many months the laptop is not locking only and if i close the lid, lock screen does not appear, only the screen blacks out and when i open the lid back on i come where i left off...
  3. if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping: if i put the laptop in sleep mode, lock screen is not appearingi tried many times, it has been many months the laptop is not locking only and if i close the lid, lock screen does not appear, only the screen blacks out and when i open the lid back on i come where i left off...
  4. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  5. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  6. Sleep Timer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Timer: I've got an SSD and an HDD in my laptop. Should I set my sleep timer less or more? And how will it affect my HDD and SSD's lifespan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-timer/6b2e56fc-272a-4c53-8c3c-771e47dcaf27
  7. Sleep Timer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Timer: I've got an SSD and an HDD in my laptop. Should I set my sleep timer less or more? And how will it affect my HDD and SSD's lifespan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-timer/6b2e56fc-272a-4c53-8c3c-771e47dcaf27
  8. Sleep Timer

9. Manually put a program to sleep WITHOUT making PC sleep?

Manually put a program to sleep WITHOUT making PC sleep?: Is there any way to manually put a traditional program, not modern Store app, to sleepwithout putting Windows PC to sleep? and be able to open the sleeping program and find it in the same state as before sleep....
  10. Putting the screen to sleep manually?

Putting the screen to sleep manually?: Years ago I use to have an app that would let me put the screen to sleep simply by moving the cursor to any corner of the screen (for privacy). Recently someone (here?) gave me a command (it may have been a sortcut, or seperate app) that would tell Windows to do this. I had...