Windows 10: Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build

Discus and support Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Problem I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop, it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FeIronMonkey, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build

Problem

I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop, it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard as if it were sleeping. I am pretty sure it is sleeping. Also, "Sleep" is not available in the start menu power options.

**EDIT**

It is actually hibernating, but waking from hibernation when I move the mouse or press a key. See my second post for more details :-

**END EDIT**

Request

Will you please help me figure out how to get both sleep and hibernate to show in the power options menu and make them both behave correctly? Thank you in advance!

How I got here

I installed Windows 10 and installed the latest drivers for everything. I then enabled hibernation by following the steps on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr.../deployment/disable-and-re-enable-hibernation typing `powercfg.exe /hibernate on` in an elevated command prompt. It showed in the Power Options menu, but behaved like sleep. I had also installed a few programs along the way, but nothing that should have cause a problem. After resetting Windows, `Hibernate` is gone again, as expected, but sleep still does not show.

Attempted Troubleshooting to make sleep show and work properly

1. Disable hibernation to try to get sleep to show
    2. All the steps from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...p-option/4e979c2e-8e68-40a6-858f-0d7057886c6c
      1. failed - `Sleep` was not an option: In options, click `Choose what the power buttons do`, `Change settings that are unavailable`, then check `Sleep`
      2. Install the latest display adapter driver for my GTX 1070, the Nvidia Studio Driver version 461.40
      3. Add sleep in power menu using Local Group Policy Editor
      4. failed - `CsEnabled` was not an option: Turn on Connected Standby from Registry
    3. Almost all the troubleshooting steps here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-is-gone/0f5eda5a-64da-4101-8066-a9c69ae1ec7a
      1. Restore default power options with `Windows key + R`, then `powercfg -restoredefaultschemes`
      2. Running the power troubleshooter
      3. Enable sleep in settings, same as 2.1 in this list
      4. I did not bother with the clean boot and instead went to the next step.
    4. Reset Windows through Settings -> Update & Security -> Reset this PC
      1. I kept all my files
      2. I chose to download the new Windows installer from the cloud
    5. After resetting Windows, I tried the above again, but this time did not install any software other than the Nvidia driver and Firefox.

I have yet to try troubleshooting Hibernate not working correctly because

1. Fixing sleep not showing might fix hibernate not working
    2. Searching for "Windows 10 hibernate acts like sleep" and variations of it yields semi-unrelated results.

PC Specs

• Edition: Windows 10 Pro
      • Version: 20H2
      • Build: 19042.804
      • Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
    • GPU: Refurbished GTX 1070
      • Driver: Nvidia Studio Driver
      • Version number on website: 461.4
      • Version number in device manager: 27.21.14.6140
    • RAM: 64 GB
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra Version 1.2

:)

FeIronMonkey, Feb 14, 2021
  2. EdwardYQ Win User

Keyboard and mouse cannot wake the computer after sleep

My new computer (windows 10) cannot wake from sleep by keyboard or mouse, despite that in device management the keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the computer. The drivers are up-to-date. Only the power button wakes the pc after sleep. In Management
    Engine Interface (power management) I have corrected the "wrong" setting that the computer is allowed to turn off this device to save power. Besides, I turned off hibernation with a restart as suggested. Does someone maybe have a solution for this problem
    ?

Edward

EdwardYQ, Feb 14, 2021
  3. Toothless Win User
    Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

Turn off hybrid sleep/hibernate.

Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build [​IMG]

Toothless, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build

How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your effort there, however I use both sleep and hibernation modes. I need to be able to wake the computer from sleep mode using the keyboard or mouse but I don't want hibernation to behave like sleep mode waking at every mouse or keyboard touch.
    I would be happy to have hibernation never wake until I press the power button (although it also seems like a reasonable idea for it to wake to do overnight updates and then go back into hibernation, but I don't know how to make it go back to sleep afterwards).

My older Windows 10 PC does not wake from hibernation with the keyboard or mouse movement and I haven't been able to find out why my new PC does. The older one also wakes from hibernation at night for windows updates but then stays on until morning. I don't
    want either of them staying on after updates.

I'm sorry if I'm expecting too much with a couple of different questions there.

Many thanks!

Phil

Phil qwerty, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build

1. Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build - Similar Threads - Sleep option missing

2. Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep: Hi, I am using a Logitech M720 mouse and MX keys keyboard, when PC goes to sleep, these will not wake it up from sleep. They will wake up my work laptop. I need to wake my home PC up using a second M310 logitech mouse. Once woken, the keyboard and mouse are useable. Running...
  3. Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wireless mouse and keyboard not waking PC from sleep: Hi, I am using a Logitech M720 mouse and MX keys keyboard, when PC goes to sleep, these will not wake it up from sleep. They will wake up my work laptop. I need to wake my home PC up using a second M310 logitech mouse. Once woken, the keyboard and mouse are useable. Running...
  4. Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.: As title. As of this time last week it worked, not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I do know it hasn't been working for the last 2-3 days now.All my settings are still the same as they were prior to it not working, keyboard and mouse are both set to "allow this...
  5. Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.: As title. As of this time last week it worked, not sure exactly when it stopped working, but I do know it hasn't been working for the last 2-3 days now.All my settings are still the same as they were prior to it not working, keyboard and mouse are both set to "allow this...
  6. Keyboard and mouse no longer waking from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  8. Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build: Problem I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop, it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard as if it were sleeping. I am pretty sure it is sleeping. Also, "Sleep" is not available in the start menu power options....
  9. BSOD waking from sleep or hibernate

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD waking from sleep or hibernate: Hello! I have BSODs after waking my computer up. Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1. Waking from hibernate generates Kernel_Security_Check_Failure. Waking from sleep generates mostly IRQ NOT EQUAL. Could you please help? Thanks! 41620
  10. Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation: Hello, My computer keeps waking when I put it to sleep and I can't determine the cause. How do I find out the reason it woke up, and how do I force it to ignore this event in future? I have a feeling it's one of my peripherals, but I can't be sure. Thank you! 45576