Windows 10: Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build

Discus and support Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Problem I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop, it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FeIronMonkey, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build

Problem

I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop, it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard as if it were sleeping. I am pretty sure it is sleeping. Also, "Sleep" is not available in the start menu power options.

Request

Will you please help me figure out how to get both sleep and hibernate to show in the power options menu and make them both behave correctly? Thank you in advance!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

How I got here

I installed Windows 10 and installed the latest drivers for everything. I then enabled hibernation by following the steps on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr.../deployment/disable-and-re-enable-hibernation typing `powercfg.exe /hibernate on` in an elevated command prompt. It showed in the Power Options menu, but behaved like sleep. I had also installed a few programs along the way, but nothing that should have cause a problem.

After resetting Windows, `Hibernate` is gone again, as expected, but sleep still does not show.

Attempted Troubleshooting to make sleep show and work properly

1. Disable hibernation to try to get sleep to show
    2. All the steps from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...p-option/4e979c2e-8e68-40a6-858f-0d7057886c6c
      1. failed - `Sleep` was not an option: In options, click `Choose what the power buttons do`, `Change settings that are unavailable`, then check `Sleep`
      2. Install the latest display adapter driver for my GTX 1070, the Nvidia Studio Driver version 461.40
      3. Add sleep in power menu using Local Group Policy Editor
      4. failed - `CsEnabled` was not an option: Turn on Connected Standby from Registry
    3. Almost all the troubleshooting steps here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-is-gone/0f5eda5a-64da-4101-8066-a9c69ae1ec7a
      1. Restore default power options with `Windows key + R`, then `powercfg -restoredefaultschemes`
      2. Running the power troubleshooter
      3. Enable sleep in settings, same as 2.1 in this list
      4. I did not bother with the clean boot and instead went to the next step.
    4. Reset Windows through Settings -> Update & Security -> Reset this PC
      1. I kept all my files
      2. I chose to download the new Windows installer from the cloud
    5. After resetting Windows, I tried the above again, but this time did not install any software other than the Nvidia driver and Firefox.

I have yet to try troubleshooting Hibernate not working correctly because

1. Fixing sleep not showing might fix hibernate not working
    2. Searching for "Windows 10 hibernate acts like sleep" and variations of it yields semi-unrelated results.

PC Specs

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 20H2

Build: 19042.804

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

GPU: Refurbished GTX 1070

Driver: Nvidia Studio Driver

Version number on website: 461.4

Version number in device manager: 27.21.14.6140

RAM: 64 GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra Version 1.2

:)

FeIronMonkey, Feb 13, 2021
  2. Aquinus Win User

Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

When sleep is grayed out it probably means that you're missing a driver required to do it or rather a device is incapable of going to sleep, but more often than not it's drivers that haven't been installed. I would make sure you're not missing any chipset or something.

Aquinus, Feb 13, 2021
  3. Toothless Win User

Turn off hybrid sleep/hibernate.

Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build [​IMG]

Toothless, Feb 13, 2021
  4. claylomax Win User

Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build

Speaking of ... I just built a new PC with an AMD Kaveri and Windows 7 64 and the option sleep is greyed out, I get shut down and hibernate; it's funny, on my PC (see specs) I get sleep and shut down not hibernate. I tried the bios but I'm clueless. Any ideas?

claylomax, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build

1. Sleep option missing, Hibernate working like sleep on new build - Similar Threads - Sleep option missing

2. Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options: Hi, I have recently purchased a new laptop. Dell Inspiron 5420 12th Gen i7. I am having one problem from day one. My laptop automatically hibernates/shuts down when kept in sleep mode for a long time 7-8 hours. Sleep mode works fine if I use it in 1-2 hours. But if I keep...
  3. Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate After & Hybrid Sleep option is missing in power options: Hi, I have recently purchased a new laptop. Dell Inspiron 5420 12th Gen i7. I am having one problem from day one. My laptop automatically hibernates/shuts down when kept in sleep mode for a long time 7-8 hours. Sleep mode works fine if I use it in 1-2 hours. But if I keep...
  4. Sleep option is missing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep option is missing: I recently built a new PC using Windows 10 as my OS. Everything is working great, except there is no option for my PC to sleep. My only options were shut down and restart. I managed to find where some other people had a similar issue and went to advanced settings to change...
  5. Sleep option is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep option is missing: I recently built a new PC using Windows 10 as my OS. Everything is working great, except there is no option for my PC to sleep. My only options were shut down and restart. I managed to find where some other people had a similar issue and went to advanced settings to change...
  6. Sleep option is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build

Sleep option missing, Hibernate waking like sleep from mouse and keyboard on new build: Problem I built a new PC. When I tell it to hibernate and wait a few seconds for fans and lights to stop, it wakes when I press a key on my keyboard as if it were sleeping. I am pretty sure it is sleeping. Also, "Sleep" is not available in the start menu power options....
  8. Sleep option missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sleep option missing: Hello everyone , I am using windows 10 enterprise.I had Intel graphics driver on my laptop but I could not reduce or increase brightness level when Intel driver was installed.Sleep option was there but now I uninstalled that driver and enabled Windows...
  9. Missing sleep option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing sleep option: So I reinstalled windows on my computer because my PC won't boot into it with the fixes I tried. After the reinstall I do not have the option to put the computer into sleep mode. I only have hibernate....
  10. Sleep option is missing

Sleep option is missing: Windows 10 HOME, build 16299.192 Sleep option is missing under Power Options. I might be able to fix the doing a system image restore. But would like to know if there is a better way. [img] [img] 103026