Windows 10: Sleep (power option) not working properly

Discus and support Sleep (power option) not working properly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi Recently, I had to re-install Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 15R, 5537 Laptop (i5 2.3GHz 8MB ram). After re-installing with updated drivers, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by abuhafss, Sep 18, 2017.

1. abuhafss Win User

Sleep (power option) not working properly

Hi

Recently, I had to re-install Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 15R, 5537 Laptop (i5 2.3GHz 8MB ram).

After re-installing with updated drivers, I noticed that SLEEP option is not working properly. Before re-installing, closing the lid used to stop all the applications and computer used to turn off. But now, the computer's power light + fan remain ON. Putting the laptop in my bag suffocates it and thereby the body of the laptop becomes quite warm.

I tried with hibernate option, no change. Even if I select Shut Down from start menu, power light + fan remain on !

Moreover after Hibernate, Sleep or Shut down the laptop when I need to switch ON, I cannot.

All I have to do is to press & hold the power button until the power LED goes off and then re-press to restart the PC.

I have addressed this issue on Dell's official Community forum but no response since last 2 months.

:)

abuhafss, Sep 18, 2017
  2. mkcid Win User

Sleep option has disappeared from the power icon on the Start menu

Updating the driver restored the sleep options to the Power Options dialog, and Sleep did work for a few days, but now it just shuts of the monitor but doesn't put the system to sleep. The updated driver is functionally properly, according to Device Manager.

Any thoughts about why this is happening?

Thanks

mkcid, Sep 18, 2017
  3. Linkiq Win User
    Sleep and Shutdown Not Working Properly ...

Okay do it , but please help me I cannot find a solution

and also can you tell me what are the possible causesthis type of problem..

Linkiq, Sep 18, 2017
  4. Sleep (power option) not working properly

Hi abuhafss. Welcome to the TenForums @abuhafss

First lets disable hibernation which in turn will disable Windows Fast Startup... as a test. To a command prompt(admin) or powershell(admin) enter

powercfg - h off

With that done click Start => Settings => System => Power & sleep => Additional power settings (upper right) =>Change plan settings (for plan you are using) => Change Advance Power settings (lower left), and finally Power buttons and lid.

How is yours set, it can be set that when you close lid it does nothing. If yours is set right I would restore defaults and reboot. If it is set "wrong" set to what you want and test.

Hopefully this will have it sleeping when lid close. Let the forum know how it goes.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 19, 2017
  5. abuhafss Win User
    Thanks for your response.

Hibernation is already disabled.

In Command Prompt (admin) window, powercfg -h off worked instead of powercfg - h off.

All power plan settings are already set on default.

No change *Sad

abuhafss, Sep 24, 2017
  6. Did you restore power plan settings. Yes they maybe set at default but if there is corruption you won't see it. If you didn't enter power plans and click on the "Restore defaults settings for this plan" please do so now. This will allow Windows to hopefully overwrite any possible corruption.

Just confirming, have you tried an alternate power plan?

In advance power plan settings what is yours set to when you close lid?

In device manager are any devices reporting unknown or not working. Usually there is a little yellow triangle and exclamation point.

Have you created an Image of your machine so if something happens you can restore. I recommend this and I recommend Macrium Reflect or similar tool be used.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Before doing either of the next two steps enter BIOS and note settings so they can be restored.

I was doing some reading on google and this seems to be a issue many Dell owners are experiencing. One suggestion was to remove CMOS battery and re-install. This can be a challenging activity based on where battery is located. You would need to search youtube for tear down instructions. Hopefully yours is accessible and you do not need to disassemble if you wanted to follow this advice. Your manual may even outline the procedure.

You might also get the same effect by entering BIOS and then restore settings to defaults.

Before doing either of the above please note BIOS settings, yes I'm repeating myself.

The other suggestion I saw was disabling Fast Boot in BIOS.

If you search Dell Laptop will not shutdown on google you will see other solutions like removing certain drivers. You need the Image I mentioned above if you go this route and it would be wise to have bootable media in hand. I would also create a restore point as the first line of defense.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 24, 2017
  7. abuhafss Win User
    Thanks for your detailed instructions.

1) Yes, I had clicked "Restore default settings" for all power plans.
    2) Yes, I tried with changed settings in the plan.
    3) No unkown device in device manager.
    4) I would like to create an image or a restore point of my machine but I am afraid that "the power issue" will also be saved together with other programs/settings. If it won't then I shall proceed with your above instructions.

abuhafss, Sep 24, 2017
  8. Sleep (power option) not working properly

Agree the problem will be part of Image but you have a "working" computer. The image will not capture BIOS settings.

When I read some of the solutions on google where they suggested removing drivers that has me concerned. If you were to remove one and Windows did not replace you could find yourself with a useless version of Windows. At least the image would get you running again and your programs would all be installed.

In thinking about this I would also ensure I had a copy of my data backed up off machine.

You are obviously comfortable re-installing Windows, some aren't or they've invested hours into customizations.

Just out of interest, if you enter device manager what drivers are listed under IDE ATA Controllers or Storage Controllers. Do you see Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver listed anywhere. Maybe you are missing drivers?

Caledon Ken, Sep 24, 2017
  9. Caledon Ken, Sep 24, 2017
  10. abuhafss Win User
    The TWEAKING seemed to be an easier option, I started with it but it not worked for me.

abuhafss, Sep 26, 2017
  11. What was the outcome from post #4.

Did you look into BIOS.

Did you disable fast boot?

Did you search power issue and see their proposed fix?

Caledon Ken, Sep 26, 2017
  12. abuhafss Win User
    I was little busy hence could not followed the post #4.
    Today, I shall go for it.
    By the way, I never made any changes in BIOS. Do I still need to note down the BIOS settings?

abuhafss, Sep 26, 2017
  13. Sleep (power option) not working properly

Shouldn't have to... of course I'm unaware of history. A large number of machines run on defaults.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 26, 2017
  14. abuhafss Win User
    So, it is not important for me to note the BIOS setting. Isn't it?

abuhafss, Sep 26, 2017
  15. Correct, I think you could skip.

An easy way to do this, although quality isn't always the best, use phone to take pictures.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleep (power option) not working properly

1. Sleep (power option) not working properly - Similar Threads - Sleep power option

2. Power Options currently unavailable and not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Options currently unavailable and not working properly: Hi support team, I try to find out why my desktop is not going into sleep mode anymore. This issue started when I installed Windows again on my desktop. It was running Win11 and it was working properly. After 2 years I decided to install Windows 11 again and from then the...
  3. Power Options currently unavailable and not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Options currently unavailable and not working properly: Hi support team, I try to find out why my desktop is not going into sleep mode anymore. This issue started when I installed Windows again on my desktop. It was running Win11 and it was working properly. After 2 years I decided to install Windows 11 again and from then the...
  4. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly

Maximum Processor Frequency in Power Options not Working Properly: Hi as described here I turned on maximum processor frequency in power options in Windows and set the max to 4 GHz; my CPU maxes out at ~4.8 GHz. If I resume from standby with the option enabled my CPU will throttle properly for a half minute or so then it will drop down from...
  5. Power and Sleep option stops working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power and Sleep option stops working: My Power and Sleep 30 minute limit wasn't always turning off the display as specified. I suspected an app might be impacting that process and I thought of Media Player, which has been known know to exhibit rather strange behavior on occasion. Detail of the steps I executed to...
  6. Power and Sleep option stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power and Sleep option stops working: My Power and Sleep 30 minute limit wasn't always turning off the display as specified. I suspected an app might be impacting that process and I thought of Media Player, which has been known know to exhibit rather strange behavior on occasion. Detail of the steps I executed to...
  7. Power and Sleep option stops working

8. Sleep mode and powering down not working properly

Sleep mode and powering down not working properly: So a few months ago I started having this problem with my desktop PC that I haven't been able to solve. What is happening is that whenever I try to set my computer to sleep mode or turn it off through the windows menu in the bottom left corner the computer acts odd. The...
  9. sleep and power option

sleep and power option: my laptop go to sleep by it self even when i set sleep option to never sleep or close the display i need help its almost every 5 mins its goes to sleep and i get mad of it...
  10. Sleep Function not in Power/Sleep Options

Sleep Function not in Power/Sleep Options: We have multiple computers with windows in the same room. See photo; Computer on the left does not have a sleep option, the computer on the right does. Left Computer is ALWAYS backlit. How do we fix this? [ATTACH]...