Windows 10: Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot

Discus and support Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I would like to revive these two threads:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by benoitvm, Feb 11, 2020.

1. benoitvm Win User

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot

Hi

I would like to revive these two threads:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/running-processes-suspended-when-display-goes-off/233c8fed-836f-46da-b92f-51530b340d28?tm=1551434342298

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/sleep-set-to-never-yet-system-enters-connected/12186771-9abc-40c4-8ee9-e5cd2f961d88?tm=1546263834802

None of these give a clear and simple explanation/solution to this simple problem with Win10:

How to allow display to turn off after some time WITHOUT the system entering any kind of sleep state ?

Currently, my system default power scheme has the following settings, when plugged in:

"turn off display = 20 minutes"

"put the computer to sleep = never"

"Turn on fast startup = disabled"

yet, when I leave the system alone for a while and come back, it wakes from a state that is not simply "screen turned off", and the Windows system log has the following entry:

'The system is entering connected standby
    Reason: Idle Timeout.'

Event ID 506

This is not per se an issue, except that often then, active USB connected devices generic USB hard disks, with native Windows drivers no longer work properly, and the system has to be rebooted shutdown takes forever, the system trying to shutdown drivers in some inconsistent state, and eventually causes a 0x0000009f bugcheck.

Needless to say, the system is up-to-date with the manufacturer DELL drivers & BIOS...This is Win10 1903.

Is the only workaround to disable Modern Standby and its 'benefits' altogether ?

:)

benoitvm, Feb 11, 2020
  2. benoitvm Win User

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ?

I have a freshly installed workstation and have changed the power setting to sleep=never while plugged in.

Yet, after some time, the system goes to 'connected standby'.

In the event log, I see:

'The system is entering connected standby

Reason: Idle Timeout.'

Is there a way to completely prevent the system from going to sleep ?

benoitvm, Feb 11, 2020
  3. ChrisT2 Win User
    Idle Time Out

My plugged in system goes into 'connected standby' for the reason as shown in the
    Event Viewer

The system is entering connected standby

Reason: Idle Timeout.

How do I prevent my system from entering connected standby? Please note I have the following settings in
    Power & Sleep settings Sleep

On battery power, PC goes to sleep after

4min

When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after

Never

Is it possible to increase or disable the Idle Timeout for going into connected standby?

***Modified title from: Idle Time Out***

[Mod Edit: Changed title from "How to disable Connected Standy?]

ChrisT2, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Logitusa Win User

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot

The system is entering connected standby when is supposed to be turning off just the screen

With my Surface Book 2 my Power Plan: is Screen Off after 10 min and Sleep after 2 hours, nonetheless after 10 min it will be triggered "The system is entering connected standby " Reason: Idle Timeout., I am confused, was it supposed to
    be only the Screen off after 10 min according to the Windows 10 Power Plan? Please help clarifying this will be appreciated, thanks

Logitusa, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot - Similar Threads - Sleep set never

2. How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?: My laptop would go into connected standby mode after some time Event ID 506. Normally this would not be a problem, but it sometimes does this when my laptop is doing some real work like rendering and the system would enter the said connected standby mode which might cause a...
  3. How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?: My laptop would go into connected standby mode after some time Event ID 506. Normally this would not be a problem, but it sometimes does this when my laptop is doing some real work like rendering and the system would enter the said connected standby mode which might cause a...
  4. How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?

Entering Away Mode instead of Sleep as a result of system idle?: Hi all,I'm trying to configure my living room PC so that it would function as a WiFi hotspot continuously. I was unable to keep my WiFi, VPN and Mobile Hotspot on while in Sleep S3 mode, but I noticed that while in Away Mode my computer functions just as I expected - it keeps...
  6. Win10: The system is entering connected standby

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10: The system is entering connected standby: If I leave my laptop locked for like 10 minutes, when I get back, all network connections are gone except for my Cisco VPN. Cisco VPN stays up. Outlook and all other chat apps are disconnected. It will take a while to recover, maybe a minute before I can use it. I really...
  7. modern standby problems entering to sleep

modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...
  8. Prevent laptop from entering Modern Standby i.e. due to Idle Timeout when plugged into AC...

Prevent laptop from entering Modern Standby i.e. due to Idle Timeout when plugged into AC...: I need to prevent my laptop from entering Modern Standby when plugged in to AC power My plugged in system goes into 'connected standby' for the reason as shown in theEvent Viewer "The system is entering connected standby" Reason: Idle Timeout. How do I prevent my system...
  9. Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ?

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ?: I have a freshly installed workstation and have changed the power setting to sleep=never while plugged in. Yet, after some time, the system goes to 'connected standby'. In the event log, I see: 'The system is entering connected standby Reason: Idle Timeout.' Is there a...
  10. Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep Reason: Hibernate from Sleep - Fixed Timeout - Set Never?: I recently did a fresh install of Win 10 Creative Update. I have Hibernate on my pc set to Never. My computer is set to Sleep after 20 minutes which works fine. After it goes to sleep a minute later I can hit a key and it will return from sleep. The problem is after a long...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the system is entering connected standbyreason: idle timeout.