Windows 10: Sleep/standby default timings can't be changed.

Discus and support Sleep/standby default timings can't be changed. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I saw several threads dealing with sleep/standby problems, but I'd like to pinpoint a specific point: My computer goes to sleep (first display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gerard, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Gerard Win User

Sleep/standby default timings can't be changed.

Hello,
    I saw several threads dealing with sleep/standby problems, but I'd like to pinpoint a specific point:
    My computer goes to sleep (first display switch-off, then CPU/MB standby) but only according to default timings. If I change the timings, they are used when computer sleeps for the first time, but then timings immediately revert back to default.
    Since I have Windows 10 Home, I can't use gpedit to investigate Group Policies setup.
    Anyone having a similar problem ?

:)

Gerard, Oct 8, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Fall Creator's Build upgrade stopped the hibernation function - Solved

Something I have always wondered about with the Modern Standby systems is, since they do not do Sleep, what effect do the sleep settings have on the Low Power mode.

When I change the times for sleep it does seem to have an effect on the time the system stays in DRIPS, or so it seems.

Is there any guidance or explanation of Sleep timer settings and Lid or Power button settings from Microsoft as they involve Modern Standby?

Thanks..

Saltgrass, Oct 8, 2015
  3. WillHogan Win User
    Having issues with computer going into "sleep mode" after 2-3 minutes even though the settings are set to "never"

Here is the output: (should I expect something different?)

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States

Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer
    to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.

S1 Sleep Supported
    false

S2 Sleep Supported
    false

S3 Sleep Supported
    true

S4 Sleep Supported
    true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support

Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.

Connected Standby Supported
    false

WillHogan, Oct 8, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Just a thought, maybe these settings are forced in the BIOS. I have seen in Power Options some settings dealing with blanking the screen and putting the computer in standby. To enter BIOS, restart your computer and at first screen you see on the monitor press DEL. For notebooks this is DEL or F2 or F10 or ESC, depending on model. Look for any power settings and set all timers to off (disabled). Save settings and exit to restart the computer again.

spapakons, Oct 10, 2015
  5. Gerard Win User
    Thanks for the advice, but there are no such settings in my BIOS (ASUS Z97-A motherboard).
    From other threads, it seems that there are lots of problems with the whole Power Plans system in Windows 10. Standby settings, but also Screensaver and Lockscreen settings are affected.
    G.

Gerard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sleep/standby default timings can't be changed. - Similar Threads - Sleep standby default

2. Time zones change in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time zones change in sleep mode: Every time I put my PC into Sleep mode, when I wake it, it switches from Eastern to Pacific. When I go to the system settings, the time zones is greyed out, so I have to go to the command center to switch back the time zone. I went into power shell last night, but that didn't...
  3. Time zones change in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time zones change in sleep mode: Every time I put my PC into Sleep mode, when I wake it, it switches from Eastern to Pacific. When I go to the system settings, the time zones is greyed out, so I have to go to the command center to switch back the time zone. I went into power shell last night, but that didn't...
  4. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  5. no network connection in power and sleep to change from connected standby to disconnected...

no network connection in power and sleep to change from connected standby to disconnected...: My laptop has shipped with modern stanby and this is a connected standby. There is no any option of network connection in power and sleep so i can change from connected standby to disconnected standby. Network connected standby drains too much power I always turn on airplane...
  6. modern standby problems entering to sleep

modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...
  7. Programs change default screen when in standby.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Programs change default screen when in standby.: Hi ! I'm running on Windows 10 and my graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660. I've got three screens: Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor (connected on DisplayPort) LG FLATRON W1934S (connected on DVI) Wacom tablet (connected on HDMI) Screen 2 and 3 are set to extend the...
  8. Can't Change Default Programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Change Default Programs: Hello anyone reading this I am having a problem with Windows 10 Here is a video about it: https://youtu.be/G_BIcAyhXCc And if you can't watch the video my problem is I can't go into file manager in the default programs selector, I also can change what a program opens...
  9. Default App Can't Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  10. Shortcut to change "Sleep after" time.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to change "Sleep after" time.: I normally use Sleep After 2 hours. but there are occasions when I would like to change that to longer or shorter. Is there a command to do that? 57166