Windows 10: Sleep state: not hibernating, but all LED off and need to press power button to wake up

Discus and support Sleep state: not hibernating, but all LED off and need to press power button to wake up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10, 64-bit, Pro, 2004. Hibernate disabled Normally, when it goes into sleep mode, the power LED will be blinking and mouse can wake it up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by redhonker, Nov 12, 2020.

1. redhonker Win User

Sleep state: not hibernating, but all LED off and need to press power button to wake up

Windows 10, 64-bit, Pro, 2004. Hibernate disabled

Normally, when it goes into sleep mode, the power LED will be blinking and mouse can wake it up.

Recently it started going into sleep mode but power LED will be off and mouse can not wake it up. If I press power button, it will wake up and quickly resume -- all the windows will be open as if it's a normal sleep. Definitely no hibernation or rebooting. This is not consistent and does not always happen.

All mouse in device manager is set to be able to wake up in power management

Powercfg /A has the below information.

How do I troubleshoot?

Thanks

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /A
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby S3
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby S1
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby S2

Standby S0 Low Power Idle

Fast Startup
    This action is disabled in the current system policy.

:)

redhonker, Nov 12, 2020
  2. yakideo Win User

S4 (hibernation) USB/network wake up

Hi,

I have this annoying problem. When my computer enters the S4 powerstate (hibernation) I can wake it up by just clicking with the mouse. Even when EuP is enabled the mouse can still wake up the computer. After a night of sleep I find the computer powered on. So not only can the mouse wake up the system, it also seems that network traffic can too.

I thought that hibernation was like power off but with the option to save the RAM to disk. At least before I always need to push the power button to boot after hibernation.

Any suggestions?

Asus P7P55D-E
    Windows 7

yakideo, Nov 12, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Stay in sleep and wake with spacebar

Hi, you can disable hibernation if you wish:
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

This depends what devices are able to wake your PC. You can list these:

Powercfg /devicequery /.......
    Description:
    Returns a list of devices that meet the specified criteria.

Parameter List:
    <QUERYFLAG> Specifies one of the following criteria:

wake_from_S1_supported ....Return all devices that support waking the system
    from a light sleep state.
    wake_from_S2_supported ....Return all devices that support waking the system
    from a deeper sleep state.
    wake_from_S3_supported ....Return all devices that support waking the system
    from the deepest sleep state.
    wake_from_any ......................Return all devices that support waking the system
    from any sleep state.

S1_supported List devices supporting light sleep.
    S2_supported List devices supporting deeper sleep.
    S3_supported List devices supporting deepest sleep.
    S4_supported List devices supporting hibernation.
    wake_programmable List devices that are user-configurable to wake
    the system from a sleep state.
    wake_armed List devices that are currently configured to
    wake the system from any sleep state.
    all_devices Return all devices present in the system.

Examples:
    POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed

dalchina, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Sleep state: not hibernating, but all LED off and need to press power button to wake up

Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Sleep state: not hibernating, but all LED off and need to press power button to wake up

1. Sleep state: not hibernating, but all LED off and need to press power button to wake up - Similar Threads - Sleep state hibernating

2. Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.: My Dell Inspiron 3670 Windows 11 desktop has recently required pressing the power button to wake from sleep no matter how the sleep mode had been initiated. Power management at Device Manager for keyboard and mouse are checked to allow device to wake the computer.There have...
  3. Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.: My Dell Inspiron 3670 Windows 11 desktop has recently required pressing the power button to wake from sleep no matter how the sleep mode had been initiated. Power management at Device Manager for keyboard and mouse are checked to allow device to wake the computer.There have...
  4. Hibernation Wake With Power Button

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation Wake With Power Button: So I often use the hibernation feature over the sleep feature, and I've had a small problem. Whenever I try to use hibernation on my desktop, it wakes on any mouse movement. This leads to it almost always randomly turning back on while I'm in bed or something. On my laptop I...
  5. Wake up from Sleep state

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake up from Sleep state: I have a annoying issue: my PC (Win10 64 bit, version 1909, - desktop HP) [img] is wake up from Sleep mode randomly, without any apparent user intervention. Of course, I checked in my command line powercfg -devicequery wake_armed, and as response I got NONE. However, my...
  6. PC waking from sleep because power button was pressed except it wasn't

in Windows 10 Support
    PC waking from sleep because power button was pressed except it wasn't: My PC sometimes wakes from sleep, sometimes seconds after being put to sleep without me doing anything. I got the following information from the PowerShell: Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake...
  7. driver power state failure every hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    driver power state failure every hibernate or sleep: Good day, i have a PC for lees than 2 years and in the last 3 to 4 weeks i cant fix this driver power state failure i did every thing i installed new window (after i backed up all the drive)didnot work i tried it on a different ssd drive and even i go as far as to remove all...
  8. Wake from sleep only with power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  9. Waking Up Issue and Power LED not turned off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Waking Up Issue and Power LED not turned off: Hi, Since 15 days i am facing issue in waking up of my laptop after sleep mode.Even after pressing any key computer not waking up.I have switch off laptop and have to switch it on again. Further after shut down my power led also not switching off. I have tried all options...
  10. Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue: Greetings, Using HP desktop with Windows 10. Latest Fall Creator Update installed. After the latest update my machine wouldn't wake up after sleep mode. The screen is blank although I can hear "rumbling" in the background as if the hard drive were indeed on but I see...