Windows 10: Sleep states and power drain 1909 build

Discus and support Sleep states and power drain 1909 build in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello to the forum. Chasing power drain when sleeping (machine but perhaps also me). After checking this post ... Sleep States Available on your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pavl, May 4, 2021.

1. Pavl Win User

Sleep states and power drain 1909 build

Hello to the forum. Chasing power drain when sleeping (machine but perhaps also me). After checking this post ... Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC And producing some output from "powercfg"... I am a bit puzzled .. I understood that if this machine has "S0" capable then "S1-3" would not be available ..... And having checked that fast start is disabled ... Battery still drops to zero after a few hours in "sleep" (lid closed). There is no ethernet plugged in. There have been (and in last example were) a hard drive in a usb3 A port (power share? 'SS=' symbol) and a flash drive in the usb3 C port. Does "Sleep" not just switch those off ? Just an irritation, not the biggest problem.

:)

Pavl, May 4, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Paul,

Note that reading Custom view definitions in any text editor is the start of the road to bedlam.

Just for training purposes / future reference then -Unzip the Custom definition I posted,
    open Event viewer,
    on the right-hand side, click on Import Custom view then select the unzipped file,
    it will ask you to give it a name - you can call it whatever you want, I call this one Power - Sleep-Hibernate transitions.
    You'll then see the Custom view in the top set of entries in the left side of Event viewer. It shows you a lot more information than that list & is easier to comprehend because it is not full of entries about other topics.

Sleep states and power drain 1909 build [​IMG]

Examples - EventID 1 - wake - General tab

Examples - EventID 1 - wake - Details tab

If those circled Hiber* entries are 0 then the wake has been from sleep
    If those circled Hiber* entries are greater than 0 then the wake has been from hibernation

Examples - EventID 42 - sleep

Examples - EventID 131 - provides a count of the number of wakes since the last reboot [not useful very often but it can help in interpreting strange situations]

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, May 5, 2021
  3. Pavl Win User

Hello to the forum.
    Chasing power drain when sleeping (machine but perhaps also me).
    After checking this post ...
    Sleep States Available on your Windows 10 PC
    And producing some output from "powercfg"...

I am a bit puzzled ..
    I understood that if this machine has "S0" capable then "S1-3" would not be available .....
    And having checked that fast start is disabled ...
    Battery still drops to zero after a few hours in "sleep" (lid closed).
    There is no ethernet plugged in.
    There have been (and in last example were) a hard drive in a usb3 A port (power share? 'SS=' symbol) and a flash drive in the usb3 C port.
    Does "Sleep" not just switch those off ?
    Just an irritation, not the biggest problem.

Pavl, May 5, 2021
  4. Pavl Win User

Thank you Try3.
    Your first line is one reason for posting this question ...
    Did the battery report and have last full charge at 64,608 with design as 68,020.
    I did post the power buttons in post one ... only sleep or shut down.
    Started looking at event viewer...
    Arranged by source and found ...
    I have no "42" events.
    I have plenty of "1" events.
    Arranged by date and grabbed image ...
    Attached image is for today's event spanning wake from sleep through sleep for some hours then attempted restart by lifting lid, followed by power cord connect and subsequent restart.

Thank you for help - Paul

EDIT: 42 events are not in power ... but now find plenty in Kernel-Power - but all as "information" without any warnings/errors.

- - - Updated - - -

Update from looking at that battery report ..
    Attached image shows ...
    Previous day was suspended for 15 hours and battery dropped from 61% to 54%.
    Today was suspended for 5.5 hours and battery dropped from 39% to 1%.

So your suspicions probably correct over the usb power ... except that I "thought" both drives were plugged in overnight ... but cannot be certain now so will check bios and do a test.
    Paul

Pavl, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Sleep states and power drain 1909 build - Similar Threads - Sleep states power

2. AX201 bluetooth drain power when sleep in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AX201 bluetooth drain power when sleep in Windows 11: my notebook only supports S0 modern standby mode but everytime in sleep mode the bluetooth device drain too much power.is there any workaround?...
  3. AX201 bluetooth drain power when sleep in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AX201 bluetooth drain power when sleep in Windows 11: my notebook only supports S0 modern standby mode but everytime in sleep mode the bluetooth device drain too much power.is there any workaround?...
  4. Windows 11 Home Power Draining When In Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home Power Draining When In Sleep: Hi There,I have a HP laptop with Windows 11 Home edition. Since my upgrade to Windows 11, every time I put my laptop to sleep, the next day the power is totally drained.Even if I fully charge the laptop, the next day it is out of charge. From what I understand Windows 11 have...
  5. Windows 11 Home Power Draining When In Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home Power Draining When In Sleep: Hi There,I have a HP laptop with Windows 11 Home edition. Since my upgrade to Windows 11, every time I put my laptop to sleep, the next day the power is totally drained.Even if I fully charge the laptop, the next day it is out of charge. From what I understand Windows 11 have...
  6. Battery drain during sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery drain during sleep: I have a first gen Microsoft Surface Laptop, with the Core i5 and 8gb RAM. When I close the lid, putting it into sleep mode, the battery still drains quite a lot. For example, if I leave it in sleep over night, the battery can easily go down by 30% or more. During use, the...
  7. driver power state failure every hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    driver power state failure every hibernate or sleep: Good day, i have a PC for lees than 2 years and in the last 3 to 4 weeks i cant fix this driver power state failure i did every thing i installed new window (after i backed up all the drive)didnot work i tried it on a different ssd drive and even i go as far as to remove all...
  8. Driver Power State Failure on restart, shutdown, sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Driver Power State Failure on restart, shutdown, sleep: Hello Windows Ten support, Ever since I upgraded from Windows 10 Pro v1809 to v1903 I receive a BSOD Driver Power State Failure when I restart, shutdown or sleep. My computer attempts to shutdown and after about 5-10 minutes I receive the BSOD. This problem did not happen in...
  9. Power draining in Sleep mode after 1809 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power draining in Sleep mode after 1809 update: Hi Folks, Updated to 1809 a few days ago on a Toshiba Satellite laptop Manually put device into sleep mode overnight (full battery) Device will not recover in the morning without plugging charger in Any advice ..............
  10. laptop power drain

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop power drain: I replaced my HDD with an SSD (and placed the HDD on the optical drive bay) a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that even if I shut my laptop down, I still would have a drained battery the next time I power it on. If I do not connect my laptop to a power source for a day (still...