Windows 10: Sleep states, how to control

Discus and support Sleep states, how to control in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I believe that when Windows enters sleep, it goes from a light sleep state into deeper states. Is it possible to control when it does this, how long it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markweatherill, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Sleep states, how to control

I believe that when Windows enters sleep, it goes from a light sleep state into deeper states. Is it possible to control when it does this, how long it spends in each state?

I have a tablet that, after it's gone to sleep, can be woken up by the Windows key any time.
    I have another one that will only do that very shortly after going to sleep. After that, only the power button will wake it.

I'd like to make the second tablet stay in a light sleep state where the Windows key will wake it up, for a longer time.

:)

markweatherill, Apr 27, 2016

2. Windows Password on wakeup from sleep

My system just loaded some Microsoft updates. Prior to these updates I was not asked for a password when my PC returned to the active state from the sleep mode. I am now asked for a password. How do I stop the password requirement? The present recommendations
    from Microsoft make reference an option on the left side of the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options page that allows one to turn on or off the sleep password function. This option no longer appears on this page.

How can I turn off the need for a password when the PC restarts from the sleep state?

Ed Corcoran, Apr 27, 2016
  3. rmsngr Win User
    laptop sleeps badly but hibernates well

My laptop (Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1) was set to sleep when its lid was closed, but in practice completely forgot its prior state when wakened. This also happened when sleep was entered by the start menu or by briefly pressing the power button.
    I changed the power option for lid closing to hibernate, and now the laptop returns quickly to its state prior to lid closing. Returning easily to the prior state saves a tremendous amount of time and hassle.

P.S. I got the same effect by choosing to allow hybrid sleep at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings > change advanced settings > sleep.

rmsngr, Apr 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Sleep states, how to control

Hi, try a different perspective - but I don't know how useful that may be with a tablet:

From an elevated command prompt:
    powercfg /devicequery wake_armed
    This will list anything presently configured that can wake your device from any sleep state.
    powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any
    This will list anything with the potential to wake your device from any sleep state.

Explore further:
    powercfg /?

dalchina, Apr 27, 2016
  5. Thanks, the devices under wake_from_any are Bluetooth, Microsoft Wifi Direct and Generic USB Hub (001).

In Device Manager, the USB Hub has the Power Management tab in its properties. But the 'Allow this device to wake the computer' is greyed out.
    Even if I enable the super Administrator user account, it's greyed out. Maybe the hardware doesn't support it?

(I'm assuming that somehow enabling the USB Hub to wake the tablet will mean the Windows key will be able to wake it up)

markweatherill, Apr 28, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    You may be limited in your options. Example: my new PC: keyboard and touchpad don't and can't wake device from sleep. (You need a power management tab on the properties sheet).

The supplier was quite confident they could be configured, and did a remote session, failed (as I had expected), and retired puzzled - they are rather technically competent and knowledgeable). a couple of days later- phone call, apology, and earlier version had been capable of that. And in fact the manual supplied is accurate when I eventually foudn the disk and looked it up.

So you need a power management tab - even apparently for a PS/2 keyboard.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleep states, how to control

1. Sleep states, how to control - Similar Threads - Sleep states control

2. Sleep not working in a laptop with only S0 sleep state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep not working in a laptop with only S0 sleep state: I have a problem with a program which sleeps windows computers. It is working in plenty of them. Now i have acquired a new laptop and i noticed that this system no works anymore. It is in Windows 11 although i think that it is irrelevant at this point.Commands for turning off...
  3. Sleep not working in a laptop with only S0 sleep state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep not working in a laptop with only S0 sleep state: I have a problem with a program which sleeps windows computers. It is working in plenty of them. Now i have acquired a new laptop and i noticed that this system no works anymore. It is in Windows 11 although i think that it is irrelevant at this point.Commands for turning off...
  4. Sleep states not available on system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep states not available on system: Hi,My laptop does not enter sleep, instead it enters hibernate. I ran powercfg /a, and got the following:The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected HibernateThe following sleep states are not available on this system:...
  5. Sleep states not available on system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep states not available on system: Hi,My laptop does not enter sleep, instead it enters hibernate. I ran powercfg /a, and got the following:The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected HibernateThe following sleep states are not available on this system:...
  6. sleep state is strange

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep state is strange: Hi.After recent win10 21H1 updates 2021/10/2~6, my PC sleeps ? in a strange way.1. PC enters sleep state S3 immediately after pushing power buttonEventData TargetState 4 EffectiveState 4 Reason 0 Flags 1 TransitionsToOn 7 2. PC wakes up automatically from sleep state after...
  7. Wake up from Sleep state

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake up from Sleep state: I have a annoying issue: my PC (Win10 64 bit, version 1909, - desktop HP) [img] is wake up from Sleep mode randomly, without any apparent user intervention. Of course, I checked in my command line powercfg -devicequery wake_armed, and as response I got NONE. However, my...
  8. System will not go into hibernate state from sleep state

System will not go into hibernate state from sleep state: There is a issue on my system, my power setting as below. when my system was in sleep state, I found it would be awakened to desktop instead of went into hibernate state after 180 minutes. If I disable the RTC wake support for hibernate,the system could went into hibernate...
  9. Problems waking from sleep state

Problems waking from sleep state: Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64 has an issue waking from sleep. Moving mouse/pressing keyboard wakes the computer, and once desktop displays, the mouse and keyboard does not function and ethernet has red X. Mouse is wireless (USB transceiver) and switching USB ports will...
  10. Half sleep state? Wierd state that won't start...

in Windows 10 Support
    Half sleep state? Wierd state that won't start...: I am finding that occasionally my Windows 10 Pro pc will seem to be aleep, that is, screen blank, no response to keyboard or mouse, or power button. But the fans are going. To get it going I must hold the power button down until it completely shuts it off, and I can then...