Windows 10: sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep

Discus and support sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How to enter hybrid sleep? For a long time, but not forever on win10, this Asus 2 in 1 laptop can never awake from sleep, it hard locks in sleep when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Nov 5, 2020.

1. sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep

How to enter hybrid sleep?

For a long time, but not forever on win10, this Asus 2 in 1 laptop can never awake from sleep, it hard locks in sleep when it goes to sleep on its own, And usually hard locks within a few minutes. I told it NEVER to shut down when on AC power, so this problem is better than it was. IT was happening on battery or AC power.

I was able to activate hibernate and it awakes with power button when I manually tell it to hibernate.
    The problem happens when it does sleep on its own timer.

I tried this command here, so looking for additional help on sleep variations and why this thing is messed up. Trying anything to make it work. I dont know yet if it helped it.

By lock I mean, the power key is lit up bright, solid, all buttons are unresponsive, only fix is to hold the power key down till it reboots.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the Difference Between Sleep and Hibernate in Windows?
    Talks about setting up hybrid sleep, never says how to enter hybrid sleep, see its badly written.
    Does she then mean 'hibernate' in the power menu has become hybrid sleep when you click the power button?????

:)

sdowney717, Nov 5, 2020
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

From now on i will use the Hybrid sleep mode and let's hope it works as it should.

Knoxx29, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

@Knoxx29 , hybrid sleep used to have problems only with some ACPI drivers. It did not involve hibernation mode directly, like many "tech websites" assumed.

I use hybrid sleep, cause I do have occasional power outages, and my UPS is not very reliable (time for a new one). I only shut down my PC at night. The rest of the time I put it to sleep.
    So far I had no problems with Hybrid Sleep, except one customer laptop. I think it was ASUS K53S, and it suffered with sleep and hibernation on all OSes, excluding Ubuntu 16.04.
    My old x58 rig also had some hiccups in Win10, but nothing critical or annoying.

silentbogo, Nov 5, 2020
  4. claylomax Win User

sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep

Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

I only get hibernate and allow wake timers not allow hybrid sleep.

claylomax, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep

1. sleep versus hibernate versus hybrid sleep - Similar Threads - sleep versus hibernate

2. DocX versus ODT versus Doc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DocX versus ODT versus Doc: It's been a minute since I needed to use Word. Imagine my surprise when there are now two word type documents and although I understand the main differences between the two - I don't understand why my laptop isn't saving them all as word docs. There may be something funky in...
  3. DocX versus ODT versus Doc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DocX versus ODT versus Doc: It's been a minute since I needed to use Word. Imagine my surprise when there are now two word type documents and although I understand the main differences between the two - I don't understand why my laptop isn't saving them all as word docs. There may be something funky in...
  4. Hybrid Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid Sleep: I have looked at the web and whilst some say it is a beneficial feature, others say to disable it. I read one link that stated even Microsoft recommended disabling it to prevent it from interfering with Windows updates. I have it disabled at present. Comments please. 173412
  5. Hybrid sleep not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hybrid sleep not working: This started happening after i reset my pc. I have background apps for my mic and customization purposes, but when my computer goes to sleep, they all stop working once i wake it up. I asked a while ago and they said to enable hybrid sleep, but it is on and has been on for a...
  6. Hybrid Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hybrid Sleep: Hi all, I'm trying to find instructions for Hybrid Sleep, but my Googles keep showing me Power options which are absent from myWindows Version 2004 20H1 - OS Build v19041.508, 64-bit OS, Installed on 1-Jun-2020. Can anyone please direct me to Hybrid Sleep setup...
  7. Wake from sleep - unwanted ethernet, versus mouse?

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake from sleep - unwanted ethernet, versus mouse?: About a week ago I started noticing that my PC, which normally goes to sleep at the three-hour mark of inactivity, would be awake when I returned from work, or to a lesser extent, in the morning. Using the event viewer, I found that the source of these unwanted wakes -...
  8. Enabling Hybrid Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Enabling Hybrid Sleep: Hello all! I hope to be a frequent contributor but I joined specifically to try and find a definitive answer to a question that I cannot find fully answered anywhere. I want my Windows 10 HP All-In-One desktop to enter hybrid sleep after I'm through with my work and be...
  9. Power Consuption: Sleep versus Hibernate?

Power Consuption: Sleep versus Hibernate?: I am clear (at least I think I am) that the difference between sleep and hibernate is that while both preserve open windows, unsaved files etc, so that you carry on as before without loss of data, sleep preserves by saving to memory and hibernate preserves by saving to the...
  10. Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep?

Remover Power Supply during Hibernation or Hybrid Sleep?: Hello all, I have 3 questions regarding putting a PC into a lower energystate. 1. Can the PC be damaged if I turn off and remove the Power Supply and opening the case to clean the PC, while the PC is in Hibernation Mode instead of having it fully shut down? 2. I've...