Windows 10: Sleep vs shutdown

Discus and support Sleep vs shutdown in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Carol W_6159, May 3, 2023.

1. Sleep vs shutdown

I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol

:)

Carol W_6159, May 3, 2023
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Windows 10 Shutdown and sleep, IE keeps hanging

Hi,

For us to better assist you with your shutdown, sleep and IE issues, we'd like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made to your computer prior to this issue (e.g. Windows updates)?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to resolve the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, May 3, 2023
  3. Shutdown & Sleep bug

Hello there,

I'm having Dell Inspiron 5547 when it was shipped it came with windows 8.1 64-bit with no issues of SLEEP & SHUTDOWN but when updated to windows 10 my laptop started having issues with SLEEP & SHUTDOWN.

1)When I close the lid or keep the system in sleep mode it never wakes up its need a hard boot or need to have forced shutdown by pressing the power button, still no patch for the bug is available.

2)when the system is shutdown it continues to draw power from the battery and in morning the battery is completely drained.

Have gone through entire suggestion given by Microsoft engineer & community member but had no solution.

Hence contacted Dell support but they told its Microsoft's problem hence contacted them below is the list of tickets so generated with no solution:-

Finally one of the Microsoft executive said it's an issue with the DELL drivers when contacted to DELL they said its an issue of MICROSOFT and they have in written from Microsoft that both issue are because of WINDOWS 10.

I'm feeling like a football who is been kicked from one goalpost to another with no goal scored...

Now what should be the final solution as now I can't rollback to windows 8.1 as I'm way past the grace period for rollback???

ankur_patel, May 3, 2023
  4. Sleep vs shutdown

Battery drains during Sleep/Shutdown

Hi Rahul,

If you are experiencing battery drains during Sleep or Shutdown, we need to check your battery settings and perform a battery saving. There are two related categories that we need to visit. These are the Power & sleep. Follow the steps below:

• Open the Action Center and click System.
    • Select Power & sleep.
    • Choose your desired time for Screen and Sleep.
    • Under Related settings, click Additional power settings.
    • We will be prompted to Power Options' control panel.
    • Select Change when the computer sleeps.
    • We need to customize our power plan, choose between Balanced (recommended) or
      Power Saver.

Let's proceed with battery saving, battery saver feature is the same kind of tools that can be found in mobile phones and tablets. It is off by default and won't turn on if your device is charging. These are the steps:

• Go to the Action Center and choose System.
    • Click Battery saver.
    • Select Battery saver settings. (Note: Battery saver is set to turn on at 20%, but you can set that higher or lower.)
    • Adjust the Battery saver to your desired percentage.

Using these two processes will definitely improve your battery's life.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Ronalene Mat, May 3, 2023
Thema:

Sleep vs shutdown

1. Sleep vs shutdown - Similar Threads - Sleep shutdown

2. Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?: Good day.My ASUS laptop used to shut down after a specific period I don't know it exactly and i used to either leave the lid open or closed and it would shut down after being is sleep for too long. However now, it is not doing so and leaving my laptop on sleep overnight will...
  3. Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?: Good day.My ASUS laptop used to shut down after a specific period I don't know it exactly and i used to either leave the lid open or closed and it would shut down after being is sleep for too long. However now, it is not doing so and leaving my laptop on sleep overnight will...
  4. Main monitor turn on-off after deep sleep or shutdown more than hour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Main monitor turn on-off after deep sleep or shutdown more than hour: Hello I have an issue with my set upRIghtnow I have dual monitor main is Asus Tuf vg27aq and samsung both are working fine but after I put it to sleep mode and leave it for 1 hour after I turn it on second monitor is starting fine but my main which is Asus tuf it will start...
  5. Main monitor turn on-off after deep sleep or shutdown more than hour

Main monitor turn on-off after deep sleep or shutdown more than hour: Hello I have an issue with my set upRIghtnow I have dual monitor main is Asus Tuf vg27aq and samsung both are working fine but after I put it to sleep mode and leave it for 1 hour after I turn it on second monitor is starting fine but my main which is Asus tuf it will start...
  6. Windows 11, HP Pavilion laptop. Occasionally when I boot up from shutdown not sleep the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, HP Pavilion laptop. Occasionally when I boot up from shutdown not sleep the...: Hopefully the images attach properlyOccasionally when I start up, all of my desktop icons seem to reposition, almost as if I have a different resolution setting. They don't reposition as if I turned on Auto Arrange, they just spread out more and have a different spacing...
  7. Windows 11, HP Pavilion laptop. Occasionally when I boot up from shutdown not sleep the...

Windows 11, HP Pavilion laptop. Occasionally when I boot up from shutdown not sleep the...: Hopefully the images attach properlyOccasionally when I start up, all of my desktop icons seem to reposition, almost as if I have a different resolution setting. They don't reposition as if I turned on Auto Arrange, they just spread out more and have a different spacing...
  8. Intel MEIx64 Error 3 Causing PC Hangs and Slow Shutdowns/Restart/Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel MEIx64 Error 3 Causing PC Hangs and Slow Shutdowns/Restart/Sleep: I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 10 on this PC. It's a fairly old system, and I have had to buy a used motherboard to replace my last one. I did find a bent pin, but I bent it back, and I dont think it was anything that wasn't redundant. Everything worked fine...
  9. Intel MEIx64 Error 3 Causing PC Hangs and Slow Shutdowns/Restart/Sleep

Intel MEIx64 Error 3 Causing PC Hangs and Slow Shutdowns/Restart/Sleep: I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 10 on this PC. It's a fairly old system, and I have had to buy a used motherboard to replace my last one. I did find a bent pin, but I bent it back, and I dont think it was anything that wasn't redundant. Everything worked fine...
  10. Intel MEIx64 Error 3 Causing PC Hangs and Slow Shutdowns/Restart/Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware