Windows 10: Sleeping issues

Discus and support Sleeping issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a newer HP desktop running windows 10. The shut down, hibernate, and sleep functions all work perfectly if I manually use them through the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by newb, May 26, 2016.

1. newb Win User

Sleeping issues

I have a newer HP desktop running windows 10. The shut down, hibernate, and sleep functions all work perfectly if I manually use them through the start menu. However, if I just walk away from the computer and it tries entering sleep-mode, the screen shuts off but the tower seems to remain powered. The fans on the tower continue to run the entire time. The computer wakes up from this mode just as quickly as it does if i manually put it to sleep. I have gone through the power settings with a comb and cannot figure it out.

:)

2. Windows 10 'Sleeping' Issues

Hi Shelly,

This happens due to several factors. One of which is that the Keyboard item in Control Panel is not configured to wake the computer when you press a key on the keyboard or click on the mouse.

Keep in mind that when you use a Microsoft mouse or keyboard that is listed in the
    “Applies to” section, you may experience one of the following:

• Unable to wake the computer from sleep or standby mode by using your mouse or keyboard.
    • After you wake your computer from standby, your pointing device not work.
    • When you press the sleep key on a keyboard that has a sleep key or has a key that is configured to active sleep, the computer does not go into sleep mode.

What we can do is to isolate the issue and re-configure the correct settings on your PC. Kindly follow the steps and methods listed on this
    article.

For your future reference, you may refer on the helpful article/threads below related to your concern:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Barbara Cue, May 26, 2016
  3. Windows 10 'Sleeping' Issues

so, my computer has always been like this. I cannot wake it up via mouse or keyboard; and my keyboard does not have a sleep button. I always have to 'wake' it up via power button on my computer desktop. while this all saves
    my progress on things and leaves everything the way it is when i get back on and type in my password, it disconnects me from the servers on the games I play. for a little bit I could wake my computer up via mouse/keyboard, but now I cant (like how it used
    to be for me) and I haven't changed ANYTHING in my windows settings in that period of time, and of course I looked it up before I posted this on here; I tried changing multiple things in control panel and it still wouldn't work... i'd like help asap because
    this is getting frustrating as heck for me. any help is appreciated, thanks.

ShellyWong, May 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Sleeping issues

Hello, are you sure that the PC is actually going to sleep when you see the monitor off?

1. Try setting a significantly longer time for the monitor off and ensure no screen saver than you set before your PC is to sleep.
    2. Explore the event log after you have noted times when you believe the PC has or should have gone to sleep.

event ID 42 in the System log from source Kernel-Power is the sleeping event

event ID 1 in the System log is for waking.

If you don't see even ID 42 when you expected, then the PC isn't going to sleep.

If it isn't sleeping, is it really idle?
    Are you running any utility to prevent sleep? (There are some)

Please search the forum using the white search box for 'won't sleep'.
    Preferably look for ones labelled 'Solved'.
    You will find many many threads e.g.
    Computer Won't Go to Sleep Automatically - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 Won't Sleep - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Fresh Windows 10 Install Won't Sleep w/ PowerCFG Configured - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved Windows 10 Will Not Auto Sleep - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  5. newb Win User
    There is no screen saver and the event logs looked normal. Unkown was listed under the wake source which I always just tap the keyboard to wake computer. I have usb wired keyboard and a usb wireless mouse. The display is set to turn off after 5 minutes and the computer is supposed to go to sleep after 10 minutes. I've shut off hybrid sleep, shutoff PCI Express link state power management, disabled usb selective suspend, disabled wake timers, and turn off hard disk after 20 minutes. I'll continue to browse threads and trying different options. Thanks for the response

6. dalchina New Member
    For test purposes switch the order around.. so you can see what's happening easily. Set the sleep time shorter than the time for the monitor to turn off. (reverse of normal).

Can you see any event id 42 reports corresponding to when you expect the PC to sleep?

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  7. newb Win User
    I set the screen off and sleep times both to 5 minutes and it seemed to have worked. Could it have been some of the other basic power management settings that I tinkered with? yes, but hopefully this was an easy fix and it continues to work. Thanks dalchina

8. dalchina New Member

Sleeping issues

Sometimes things work out more easily - good.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleeping issues

1. Sleeping issues - Similar Threads - Sleeping issues

2. Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues: After last update on Windows 11 64 bits professional I can not put on sleep mode the laptop nor adjust brightness.I have tried shutting down and re start the laptop without sucess...
  3. Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 64 bits professional sleep mode and adjust brightness issues: After last update on Windows 11 64 bits professional I can not put on sleep mode the laptop nor adjust brightness.I have tried shutting down and re start the laptop without sucess...
  4. Laptop Sleep Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Sleep Issue: Hi. I have to following issue: Sometimes, after my laptop goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up to continue working, it freezes – The screen becomes all dark and it does not respond so that I am forced to restart my computer. How can I fix that?My laptop specs are:...
  5. Laptop Sleep Issue

Laptop Sleep Issue: Hi. I have to following issue: Sometimes, after my laptop goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up to continue working, it freezes – The screen becomes all dark and it does not respond so that I am forced to restart my computer. How can I fix that?My laptop specs are:...
  6. BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues: I tried to wake up my system but for some reason I got a black screen then the system randomly rebooted and I lost all my work. My system also sometimes has random issues where the system will fail to wake up from sleep and see a pulsating power LED.Laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad...
  7. BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues

BSOD sometimes but random restart with ntoskrnl.exe+d1d340 along with sleep/wake issues: I tried to wake up my system but for some reason I got a black screen then the system randomly rebooted and I lost all my work. My system also sometimes has random issues where the system will fail to wake up from sleep and see a pulsating power LED.Laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad...
  8. Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue: I was having the same issue as many people seem to, where a Microsoft Wireless mouse just refuses to allow a computer to go to sleep mode, even after disabling the "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep" function.After some fiddling, I finally figured out the...
  9. Restart and Sleep issues

Restart and Sleep issues: Hello, I have just installed the latest update of windows 11 just couple of days back....ever since my laptop has started encountering display when issues that the display doesn't gets on when laptop put to sleep...it wakes up but doesn't shows the display and same is the...
  10. Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fix for "Microsoft wireless mouse not letting my computer go to sleep" issue: I was having the same issue as many people seem to, where a Microsoft Wireless mouse just refuses to allow a computer to go to sleep mode, even after disabling the "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep" function.After some fiddling, I finally figured out the...