Windows 10: Sleeping monitor keeps being disturbed when computer is locked

Discus and support Sleeping monitor keeps being disturbed when computer is locked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, There's an annoying issue with my Windows 10 Home x64 installation. Whenever I lock the computer (ÿ + L) the screen shuts off after about a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blueshell, Feb 19, 2017.

1. blueshell Win User

Sleeping monitor keeps being disturbed when computer is locked

Hello,

There's an annoying issue with my Windows 10 Home x64 installation. Whenever I lock the computer (ÿ + L) the screen shuts off after about a minute or so, which is fine, but then randomly Windows will turn it back on, showing the lock screen again. After a little while it goes back to sleep only to wake up again a few minutes later. This will continue and the sleep intervals before it wakes up seems to be completely random, ranging from 1 to 15 minutes. I have done a complete format and reinstalled Windows 10 without the issue being solved, and I haven't touched (or enabled) any lock screen timeout options.

Please help, or reply if you have the same issue. Google won't give me any good answers.

Thanks.

:)

blueshell, Feb 19, 2017

2. Can't control windows 10 shuting down my screen in 3 minutes

In addition to the settings for monitor power saver, there's also the options for sleep mode, or even just the regular screensaver settings could be making the monitor time out or go to the lock screen. In all there are 5 different places to adjust settings
    for when the screen times out (monitor power, computer sleep timer, login screen timer, screensaver timer, and lock timer).

When your screen shuts down, do you know if your computer is remaining powered on or is it dropping to sleep also?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 19, 2017
  3. Windows 10 sleep problems

Well it worked for me sometimes. If when I turn the machine on and my old lock screen picture shows up. The Monitor will not sleep, however if I leave it long enough ??? today it took a long tome to go into sleep mode , I don't know how long because I
    went to the store the computer will eventually go into sleep mode and when I wake it up it goes to the Windows Spotlite lock screen and when I log in the Sleep mode aworks and the monitor goes to my screensaver at the proper time. Now if I boot the computer
    in the morning and the Windows Spotlight screen saver comes up then I know everything works. Anybody have any ideas?

Dave-LindaRoesler, Feb 19, 2017
  4. Sleeping monitor keeps being disturbed when computer is locked

Welcome to the TenForums @blueshell

Next time it wakes up at command prompt(admin) enter

powercfg -lastwake

This will tell you what device issued the wake up. (Gives a device id that has to be Googled.)

Failing that note exactly what time it awoke and look in event viewer for events around that time. There is another thread here
    where MalwareBytes was causing and issue.

Sleep mode suffers from insomnia

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 19, 2017
  5. blueshell Win User
    Thank you.

I should clarify, the PC never goes to sleep or hibernation, it's set to simply shut off the display after idling for 15 minutes, or 1 minute idle on the lock screen (or whatever the default value is, I haven't touched it). The only thing sleeping is my monitor when it no longer receives a signal from my PC. Maybe standby is a better word for it.

Sorry about that.

blueshell, Feb 20, 2017
  6. I had the same issue, and found that my mouse was waking it up. The slightest mouse movement would do it. I noticed either my walking made the desk move which caused the mouse to move, or just someone's door shutting next door (live in apartments) would do it. Maybe something is moving your mouse?

Bobby Phoenix, Feb 20, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Was going to offer exactly the same explanation, nothing to add except a tip: I had similar issues with over sensitive optical mouse. When I nowadays lock my computer, I turn my optical mouse upside down on desk. This way I can even move the mouse without waking up the display.

The same when I sit on couch watching TV using the HTPC; when I have used the mouse to find what I want to watch or skipped ads in a movie saved from an IPTV stream, I turn mouse upside down on coffee table in order to be sure that me moving around does not cause table to move thus causing IPTV player, Kodi or any other media player I am using showing on-screen controls when they are not needed.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Sleeping monitor keeps being disturbed when computer is locked

1. Sleeping monitor keeps being disturbed when computer is locked - Similar Threads - Sleeping monitor keeps

2. Monitor Will Not Sleep; Computer Will Not Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Will Not Sleep; Computer Will Not Sleep: I have done EVERY SINGLE thing recommended on the web. I have asked in FB forums. No resolution.Starting about a week ago, for no apparent reason, my monitor will no longer go into sleep mode. Like I said, I have done every fix I can find or looked into them, as many I did...
  3. Monitor Will Not Sleep; Computer Will Not Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Will Not Sleep; Computer Will Not Sleep: I have done EVERY SINGLE thing recommended on the web. I have asked in FB forums. No resolution.Starting about a week ago, for no apparent reason, my monitor will no longer go into sleep mode. Like I said, I have done every fix I can find or looked into them, as many I did...
  4. Monitor keeps sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor keeps sleeping: Hello, I have an odd situation. My monitors keep going to sleep when I'm only inactive for 1 minute but the backlight will still be on. I have changed my power settings so it should never sleep, I also have checked my monitor settings and power saving mode is turned off on...
  5. Monitor keeps sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor keeps sleeping: Hello, I have an odd situation. My monitors keep going to sleep when I'm only inactive for 1 minute but the backlight will still be on. I have changed my power settings so it should never sleep, I also have checked my monitor settings and power saving mode is turned off on...
  6. Monitor keeps sleeping

7. Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,When I lock my PC my pressing Windows key+L PC locks and goes to login screen but my monitor goes to sleep less than 1 minuter. Is there any option to extend time for sleep? Help!...
  8. Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,When I lock my PC my pressing Windows key+L PC locks and goes to login screen but my monitor goes to sleep less than 1 minuter. Is there any option to extend time for sleep? Help!...
  9. Monitor goes to sleep when when I lock PC!

10. How to force computer to sleep after being locked

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to force computer to sleep after being locked: I lock my computer before I go to bed. I want it to go to sleep shortly afterwards, but it doesn't. I wake up in the morning, and it's still awake,sometimes. I have already checked `powercfg -requests`, and it's usually something different. But, it shouldn't matter what is...