Windows 10: "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down

Discus and support "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone, This problem has been frustrating me for a while, as I keep losing work over and over again because of this problem : So the issue is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fran Rower, Oct 23, 2020.

1. "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down

Hi everyone,

This problem has been frustrating me for a while, as I keep losing work over and over again because of this problem :

So the issue is that every time after I close the lid and open it back again, the 'Slide to Shutdown' screen appears, and whether I slide up, down, sideways, or do nothing, the laptop ends up shutting down anyway. This happens both when I open the lid while the laptop is in sleep mode and when I open it while the laptop is awake see pictures below. It also happens occasionally while I'm working on the laptop and the lid moves a bit.

I have tried a number of workarounds to no avail:

1. Disable 'Slide to shutdown': There are a bunch of 'solutions' on the web that instruct you to run control panel->troubleshooting->improve power usage, and it supposedly should do the trick. This does not work.

2. Find an option to disable the 'Slide to shutdown' script: This either doesn't exist or I have not come across that.

3. Disable the lid switch in BIOS: I disabled the lid switch and yet this problem still persists.

4. Set 'close lid', 'power/sleep button' actions to 'do nothing': The problem still persists after I do this.

5. Disabled touchscreen: This does not help either.

6. Every possible combination of the above: Still nothing.

I hope some of you can provide some useful pointers to hopefully sort this issue :

Photos to describe what happens:

1. Laptop working all well

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down 44ba280e-d16f-4a72-a3c4-1e039a08cf56?upload=true.jpg

2. I close the lid

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down 16c90d82-f796-449a-8ea0-801e7ad50418?upload=true.jpg

3. I open it back again

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down fa3f6002-2e73-44f5-86d5-fa2d674c733f?upload=true.jpg

4. Everything seems okay...

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down fb7bca8c-0503-4928-8a5b-5566287ea7f1?upload=true.jpg

5. Then 'slide to shutdown' appears. Whether I slide up, down, sideways tried with touchscreen and mouse, or do nothing at all, it still shuts down.

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down 932b419e-fccc-4c1a-8e51-ee3a4da09b48?upload=true.jpg

6. A dead laptop

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down b0f47a16-515c-4772-81ba-3240db8de9cc?upload=true.jpg

:)

Fran Rower, Oct 23, 2020
  2. rmoreau Win User

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Oct 23, 2020
  3. How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Welcome to the forum "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down :)
    If you are saying that the laptop won't shutdown because you need to choose an option to save MSWord or not then I don't think it's possible to change that procedure when the lid is closed. But, maybe someone knows a registry hack or something to accomplish it
    If you want to force all running apps and software to close without saving then a Command Prompt shortcut is probably the easiest.
    See the Shutdown tutorial Option 8 and decide which Command Prompt is best for you, it will probably be

shutdown /s /f /t 0

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down [​IMG]
    Note Immediately force running apps to close, and then performs a full shutdown of the computer.
    or
    shutdown /s /hybrid /f /t 0

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down [​IMG]
    Note Immediately force running applications to close, and then performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
    • Copy the Command Prompt
    • Right click on an empty space on the Desktop
    • Select New > Shortcut
    • Paste the Command Prompt in the location box
    • Next
    • The name shutdown should appear in the box, edit that if you want
    • Finish
    Move the shortcut to wherever you like and/or pin to Taskbar or Start

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

FrillyBits, Oct 23, 2020
  4. "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down

Laptop Opening lid function

Hi Wilfred,

Thanq so much for replying to my question.

I used the same website and I tried all the guidelines given by them.

But after doing so, when I shut down the laptop, it doesn't switch on when I open the lid. It only switches on once I press the power button.

It would be gr8 if any1 would give me the proper step-by-step guidelines on switching on the laptop by opening the lid.

Thank you,

Vaibhav Pramod

VaibhavPramod, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

"Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down

1. "Slide to shutdown" appears when I open the laptop lid, won't go away and laptop shuts down - Similar Threads - Slide shutdown appears

2. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't shut down or open programs: I cant seem to shut down or restart my laptop, and programs won't open when I click them. But this only after the laptop has been powered on for a few seconds. Another problem is that once I can't open programs I also can't search anything on the internet. I can't seem to...
  3. Laptop won't shut down or open programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't shut down or open programs: I cant seem to shut down or restart my laptop, and programs won't open when I click them. But this only after the laptop has been powered on for a few seconds. Another problem is that once I can't open programs I also can't search anything on the internet. I can't seem to...
  4. Slide to shut down your pc - message won't go away and I can't do anything?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slide to shut down your pc - message won't go away and I can't do anything?: The screen is frozen. The slide "button" doesn't work. I try control alt delete and it doesn't work. I tried to power down and still this frozen message comes up. I've looked online to try and figure this out but nothing works! Please help me....
  5. Slide to shut down your pc - message won't go away and I can't do anything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slide to shut down your pc - message won't go away and I can't do anything?: The screen is frozen. The slide "button" doesn't work. I try control alt delete and it doesn't work. I tried to power down and still this frozen message comes up. I've looked online to try and figure this out but nothing works! Please help me....
  6. Slide to shut down your pc - message won't go away and I can't do anything?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Automatically - SLide to shut down appears on my screen and shuts down the laptop - please...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatically - SLide to shut down appears on my screen and shuts down the laptop - please...: Hi,Automatically Slide to shut down appears - I dont even touch the computer and it shuts down. Please HelpRegardsMegha Chowdhary https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatically-slide-to-shut-down-appears-on-my/c8a60b53-178f-4111-b74f-71e2756f7586
  8. laptop shuts down when i close the lid

laptop shuts down when i close the lid: my laptop is shutting downnot sleep when i close the lid which use to go hibernate about 3 days ago...facing this problem from 3 days.....checked with power options.....everything is fine there....plz help...
  9. want to shutdown laptop when 'opening' lid

in Windows 10 Support
    want to shutdown laptop when 'opening' lid: i wanna shutdown my laptop when opening lid i am running a program on windows leaving the lid closed when ppl open the lid, i don't want them to see what is running on i refered to this document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...en-wake-action and then tried below on...
  10. Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid

Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid: About a week ago my laptop had a change or hard drive. When I got it back, the screen went blank after being put on sleep mode, but I still could see and use the mouse. I rolled back the display driver and now it won’t project image through hdmi, and whenever I put it on...