Windows 10: slow access to hd with millions of files

Discus and support slow access to hd with millions of files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We have our security cameras recording to a 3 TB hard drive and it tends to get loaded with LOTS of files, well into the millions, loaded into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by toejam, Nov 21, 2017.

1. toejam Win User

slow access to hd with millions of files

We have our security cameras recording to a 3 TB hard drive and it tends to get loaded with LOTS of files, well into the millions, loaded into subfolders based on camera, year, month, whether photos or videos (ex: f:\hikvision2\2017\01\photos). Access to this hard drive has become cumbersome - it takes minutes just to get a directory listing.

I've already gone down the "change to general file type instead of photos" route, still slow access.

I'd be interested in getting input on how to best address this issue and be able to maintain a history of files from the security cameras.

:)

toejam, Nov 21, 2017

2. Copying files VERY slow, speed drops to zero, even on USB 3 -- no solutions have worked

I was having around 1 million small files to copy on my USB3 archive drive and it was slowing down drasticaly at around 100 000 files every time.

The ONLY solution that worked for me was to pause the copy process 5 minutes each time that it was slowing down, then to resume it.

jckleinbourg, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Firey_D Win User
    Hard drive became super slow after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

I've got the same problem, seem that the OS has hard coded the HD read at 10MB/s. I edit videos and this is way too slow. I did not have this degree of render problems with windows 8.1. With windows 10, render crawls with HD read being the culprit. File
    transfer (to NAS) is also crazy slow, with HD read maxing (100% @ 10MB/s) before network coming close to max.

I have turned off automatic management of virtual memory (was trying to keep a +20G page file) and set the min and max to Microsoft calculated values. This made the system much more responsive, but did not help with rendering (tons of reading of files off
    the HD) as it still maxed at 10MB/s.

Thanks

Firey_D, Nov 21, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Possibly switching to a NAS RAID server or USB 3.0 RAID server with at least dual hard drives? If you went all out for a 4 drive servers, there are different raid modes that would offer both drive failure recovery capability and spanning across more than one drive to increase performance.

USB 3.0 raid enclosure - Newegg.com

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2017
  5. Windows Explorer has always had problems with large numbers of files/folder. You can run Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs to see what files Explorer is accessing just to confirm it's not doing anything weird. But from personal experience once you get into the 10s of thousands of files there's not much you can do.

You can try a different file explorer app or do things from the command line. There may be existing solutions out there for security systems like this. But a custom front-end wouldn't be hard to write if the folders are well-organized.

Edit: This is assuming you have thousands of files/folders within a single folder level (e.g. \folder\00001, \folder\00002, ... , \folder\99999).

PolarNettles, Nov 21, 2017
  6. toejam Win User
    The hard drive is actually in a Synology NAS, so, don't know if that's got anything to do with the access performance. But, there are thousands of jpg files in each directory - when a camera triggers the system sends jpg snapshots to the hard drive, at least 5 pics each time it triggers. At night when we have spider webs waving across the camera, we get triggers about each 10 sec, all night long. Same when fog rolls across all the cameras: boom a lot of cameras trigger and send snapshots do the hard drive.

So, the hard drive is chock full of jpg files and even getting to the drive to delete files is a pita since you have to navigate down the directory tree and each move takes several minutes.

toejam, Nov 21, 2017
  7. Farvatten Win User
    Farvatten, Nov 22, 2017
  8. slow access to hd with millions of files

You said that you have tried "general file type instead of photos" without success.
    I, too, was unsuccessful when choosing "photos".

Instead I find that the best choice is "documents".
    Try that. It worked for me with both Windows 10 and Windows 7.

margrave55, Nov 22, 2017
  9. toejam Win User
    No change, I've tried that route several times with no change.

toejam, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. slow access to hd with millions of files - Similar Threads - slow access millions

2. 120 Million files scanned in MSERT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    120 Million files scanned in MSERT: The other day, I went to run a full scan using Windows Defender and the scan had revealed that I had a Trojan. So I took the steps listed by Windows Defender and removed the trojan. As I was afraid of other files being potentially infected, I went to my organization and...
  3. 120 Million files scanned in MSERT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    120 Million files scanned in MSERT: The other day, I went to run a full scan using Windows Defender and the scan had revealed that I had a Trojan. So I took the steps listed by Windows Defender and removed the trojan. As I was afraid of other files being potentially infected, I went to my organization and...
  4. 120 Million files scanned in MSERT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Extremely slow HD to HD copying in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow HD to HD copying in Windows 10: Why does it take so much longer to copy a file from download directory on the C: drive to the file storage on the E: drive than it takes to download the same file from the internet? Both are high-speed WD Black 6TB drives. This happens on multiple computers, and it has been...
  6. Microsoft security millions of files quick scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft security millions of files quick scan: Microsoft security Quick scan is showing me millions of files, about an hour in, it shows 500 thousand and it doesn't even reach halfway. the bar just stops completely and I have no way to make sure there are that many files on my laptop, somebody please help, my laptop...
  7. HD Disk Access

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HD Disk Access: My work Laptop crashed and we have not been able to fit it, I have some information on the disk that I need urgently but when I removed the HD Disk and try to access it, it asks for a 48-digit code to unlock it. I can't find this code anywhere, can you assist?...
  8. Access to cloned HD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access to cloned HD: I need the option to boot from a second cloned hard drive OS disk F on startup. See attached image: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-cloned-hd/7ae5448d-418f-4cb7-b38a-3520e86a29a4
  9. 25 million page faults by svchost.exe (Slow PC)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    25 million page faults by svchost.exe (Slow PC): Hi! Im new on this forum because Im in need of some help about my PC. My PC is now 4 years old, and it suddenly goes a lot slower. It's weird that chrome takes 1 minute to start up while I have these stats. [img] After following some tutorials, I used "Process Explorer"...
  10. Problem accessing files on external HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem accessing files on external HD: Hi, I recently bought a new PC with Windows 10 and I am having some issues with an external USB hard drive that I was wondering if I could get some feedback on. Here's the problem: when trying to access certain files on the drive (no rhyme or reason apparent - it just...