Windows 10: Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software

Discus and support Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I updated my system from a Dell XPS 8700 to a Dell XPS 8900. My 8700 had an SSD boot drive and 3 internal HDDs and several USB externals for backup. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stonerobertc, May 31, 2016.

1. Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software

I updated my system from a Dell XPS 8700 to a Dell XPS 8900. My 8700 had an SSD boot drive and 3 internal HDDs and several USB externals for backup. It worked well for backups. 8900 came with SSD but it was not setup as boot. Boot was a HDD. I moved operating system to SSD. Now when I backup, the HDDs transfer data at a reasonable rate, usually several hundred MB/min. The SSD is ridiculously slow, running at sometimes 0.5 mb/min. Rarely is it in triple digits per minute. It took over three days to backup 100 gb from SSD to external HDD? The other internal drives backup normally to the external drives. I have used Retrospect backup software for years and even tried updating to the latest version. It made no difference. Any ideas why the "fastest" drive would be the slowest to run backups?

:)

stonerobertc, May 31, 2016
  2. Ivy336289 Win User

Migration from Hdd to m2.SSD

recovery partition can help you to restore your computer to a previous good state. you'd better migrate it.

in Windows, there is no disk cloning software. if you do not want to use a third-party tool, you can use backup and restore (windows 7) to create a system backup on external drive,

restore system image from external hard drive
    to SSD, change the location of HDD and SSD, set boot priority to SSD and boot from it.

if that does not work, you can choose to reinstall Windows or use a disk cloning software to clone disk.

Ivy336289, May 31, 2016
  3. Gene_918 Win User
    Windows 10 System Image Backup Error "The system cannot find the file specified."

I only do a system image for the boot drive. A system image is all or nothing so I don't think it's a good idea for other drives. I also do a file-by-file backup on the boot drive and other drives using Retrospect, but there are several other backup utilities.
    Those only back up changed files after the initial backup, so they complete much faster. And they allow restoring only selected files, even a single file, without having to wipe the drive with an image.

Restoring a corrupt file on the boot drive requires restoring the entire drive to a previous state if a system image is the only backup available.

Gene_918, May 31, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software

Ztruker, Jun 1, 2016
  5. I finally had a chance to realign the partition and it works much better. Retrospect is copying files at 3000-5000 mb/min instead of 200-300 mb/min. I used Partition Wizard an it worked great. Thanks for your help.

stonerobertc, Jun 21, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    You're welcome, glad I could help.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software

1. Slow backup from Ssd boot drive using Retrospect software - Similar Threads - Slow backup Ssd

2. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup using multiple softwares: Recently I've been thinking of backup my laptop and I was scouting a suitable software. But I am in a dilemma of choosing it mainly because there are no software that is perfect. I mean every software has its disadvantages or bad user experience etc. So I was wondering, is it...
  3. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    backup using multiple softwares: Recently I've been thinking of backup my laptop and I was scouting a suitable software. But I am in a dilemma of choosing it mainly because there are no software that is perfect. I mean every software has its disadvantages or bad user experience etc. So I was wondering, is it...
  4. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using old SSD for backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using old SSD for backups: Not a question, just wanted to share. I bought a Samsung 860 Evo a few months ago and have been using it since (thanks to those who helped with that). I kept my old SSD and recently purchased an enclosure for it. Previously I had been imaging to a 10 year old HDD. Images took...
  6. Intsalling a SSD as a second drive but it was used as a boot drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intsalling a SSD as a second drive but it was used as a boot drive.: I build a pc recently, i have a hdd installed as the boot drive, i toook a ssd out of my old pc and it was used as boot drive in that pc so i was wondering if i can delete the program file folders? submitted by /u/JacobDaBot [link] [comments]...
  7. Retrospect Backup 17.0.2 - Backup client not found ? (Win10)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Retrospect Backup 17.0.2 - Backup client not found ? (Win10): I have been using Retrospect Backup for many years (latest v17.0.2 for a month or so), with Retrospect Backup currently running on a Dell Laptop (Win10 x64) connected to a Desktop (Win10 x64 Pro) running Retrospect Client. In 2017, client detection problems surfaced ("Error...
  8. error to software backup from drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    error to software backup from drive: I can't recover my software from drive cause it takes too much data to download .is there any other way to install my software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-to-software-backup-from-drive/f0f4215b-e878-40b4-aed5-f9b736482452
  9. how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to backup to ssd from hybrid drive: my dell xps 14 may be flaking out. I want to be prepared. right now I backup my current images using Macrium free but was planning to buy just one ssd to replace the hybrid one. Does macrium support this type of transfer, if so how do I do it? partition images attached. 123087
  10. Slow Boot on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Boot on SSD: Hi, I recently upgraded from an FX 8350 to a ryzen 5 1600x. This meant getting a new Mobo etc. With it came an SSD from Adata (120gb). I decided to install windows on the ssd and keep my 1tb HDD for games etc. I wiped the HDD (full clean, not quick one) and then installed...