Windows 10: Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update

Discus and support Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi. A couple of days ago I added a HDD to my PC for expanded storage (Its not a boot drive and has the lowest boot priority of all my drives). It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Homorilla, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update

Hi. A couple of days ago I added a HDD to my PC for expanded storage (Its not a boot drive and has the lowest boot priority of all my drives). It showed up and worked no problem and I used the PC for the rest of the day as usual with no problems. When I went to power off I saw there was a Windows Update which I installed before shutting off. And ever since, booting up my PC takes around 5 min for no apparent reason. Could this be the drive messing it up or did the Update screw me?

PC works normally after it boots and I can log in. And my M.2 Boot drive is seemingly healthy. It is really weird but not a huge problem since I just let it take its time to boot. Any tips would be helpful though.

submitted by /u/Homorilla
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Homorilla, Jan 16, 2021
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 16, 2021
  3. kronic1 Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

im just going to throw this out there , there used to be a bug in windows that if you installed on a ssd, and had a hdd in the system, windows would put some boot info on the mechanical hdd, and cause slow boot,
    because of that i always disconnect any mechanical hdd from the machine before i install on a ssd, it could be that, or just a bad mechanical hdd could also be a bad dvd drive , disconnect them 1 buy 1 and boot and see if any diff , and if you disconnect on of your mechanical hdds and it dont boot you will know what the problem is , and if disconnecting one makes it boot faster then that hdd/dvd drive most likely on its last legs, although a bad hdd normally makes post take longer not boot

kronic1, Jan 16, 2021
  4. JFox963 Win User

Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update

Adding second hdd

I have added aa second hdd to a dell inspirion desktop. I am going to install win 10 on it. There is win 7 on the original hdd which still works. The plan is to use the new hdd as the principal drive when all the installs are finished on it. I will then
    delete the Win 7 on the original hdd, IF I should, and use it for non-critical storage until it fails.

I have been told that I should unplug the original hdd when installing win 10 on the new drive,

so as not to mash up the boot process on each.

With the only OS now disconnected, how can I load my Home Full Version on this new drive?

As I'm copying programs and files from the old to the new hdd how do I boot up the win 7 hdd?

Lastly what size partitions should I set up on the new hdd prior to the new WIN 10 install?

Is there a knowledge base article that addresses these issues?

Any help or suggestions are much welcomed.

JFox963, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update

1. Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update - Similar Threads - Slow boot either

2. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  3. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  4. BSOD error after adding new HDD and RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD error after adding new HDD and RAM: Hi everyone,Before, my pc only has an ssd and a ram stick. Then I decided to buy hdd and another ram stick. And few days later, my pc is encountering blue screens. I tried the the dism, sfc, updating drivers but I'm still encountering it. I have this issue since few weeks...
  5. BSOD error after adding new HDD and RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD error after adding new HDD and RAM: Hi everyone,Before, my pc only has an ssd and a ram stick. Then I decided to buy hdd and another ram stick. And few days later, my pc is encountering blue screens. I tried the the dism, sfc, updating drivers but I'm still encountering it. I have this issue since few weeks...
  6. BSOD error after adding new HDD and RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?: I have noticed on my computer that the boot time takes much longer than normal. I bought a Dell Inspiron Laptop Link to amazon for specs that came with an SSD and no hard drive. The laptop was able to be partially upgraded with new components, I have since added more RAM,...
  8. Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!: Secondary external 8TB HDD WD Mybook, adding blank screen with non flashing white underscore to boot time increasing boot time by 10+ seconds. When I unplug the HDD the whole system boots in 5 seconds or less. Things tried that didn’t work, disabling fast startup and double...
  9. Slow boot into windows after installing either the March broken updates, or the April 14th...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Slow boot into windows after installing either the March broken updates, or the April 14th...: From the updates spanning from the beginning of March to the updates put forward yesterday, installing any of them causes my pc to boot incredibly slowly. I'm booting from a HDD, but before installing these updates i had boot times of around 1 minute, but is now sitting at...
  10. Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not boot after adding second HDD: I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I disconnected the new HDD, but it is still not booting. I keep coming to this screen. [img] I tried solving the issue using...