Windows 10: Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903

Discus and support Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've updated my windows from 1803 to 1903 yesterday and have noticed starting up my PC took significant longer. Usually it takes 10-15 seconds from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by loi n.i., Sep 25, 2019.

1. loi n.i. Win User

Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903

I've updated my windows from 1803 to 1903 yesterday and have noticed starting up my PC took significant longer. Usually it takes 10-15 seconds from completely off to the login screen but after the update the PC will show a black screen after the boot loading screen and stays like that for more than 4 minutes until the login screen shows up. There is no mouse pointer in the black screen. The same happens when shutting down, it takes a few minutes before the fans stop.

Things I've tried:

Clean disk

Clean boot

Upgrade again using the media creation tool from Microsoft

I've tried booting in safe mode but it wouldn't even load. It freezes at the Windows logo (for me its an “Acer Predator” logo).

sfc /scannow couldn't find any problems

The repair tool/troubleshoot in the shift-restart couldn't find any problems as well

:)

loi n.i., Sep 25, 2019
  2. greenfid Win User

Slow Shutdown after Upgrade to Windows 10 1903

Thanks Stephen, tried your suggestions but the Shutdown remains slow.

greenfid, Sep 25, 2019
  3. zinou Win User
    Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.

@Syncopator
    If you open your trace file and get this message, about events lost, then don't bother to upload the file. we can't get the whole picture of what's going on.

Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903 [​IMG]

I'd suggest you increase the buffers size, in the "SampleGeneralProfileForLargeServers.wprp" file to 1024.

Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903 [​IMG]

Or you can download my wprp file and copy it to the WPT path (%programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\WindowsPerformance Toolkit) TransferNow

With the buffers size increased, I hope this time we'll get a complete boot trace file, we can analyze and hopefully identify the delay cause.

zinou, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Slow Shutdown and Restart

Hi,

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter to resolve the random power issue.

Run the built in Power Troubleshooter on the system.

Follow the steps below to run power troubleshooter.

• Type troubleshooting in the search box. Click on the
              Troubleshooting from the search results so obtained.

• Click on View all on the left pane on the next Window.

• Pick Power from the list so available, this would launch
              Power Troubleshooter

• In the Power Troubleshooter, you have to click
              Next option

• This will start the automatic detection and fixing of issues.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Refer
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Also make sure all pending updates are installed on the computer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903 - Similar Threads - Slow boot shutdown

2. slow boot after 1903 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow boot after 1903 update: Hello, I have a laptop with SSD and HDD. SSD is used as a system disk and HDD is for storage. Recently I updated my Windows 10 Home 1703 version directly to 1903 version and the update installed some files on my HDD instead of SSD. The problem that occurs now is a slow boot...
  3. slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903: I skipped over 1809 and upgraded directly from 1803 to 1903. All went fine but I noticed a significant slowdown in booting. It went from several seconds to 39 seconds. I have a decent desktop computer, enough memory. One possible culprit: I have two physical drives – SSD and...
  4. slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    slow boot after upgrading from 1803 to 1903: I skipped over 1809 and upgraded directly from 1803 to 1903. All went fine but I noticed a significant slowdown in booting. It went from several seconds to 39 seconds. I have a decent desktop computer, enough memory. One possible culprit: I have two physical drives – SSD and...
  5. Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903.

Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903.: I've updated four different Surface devices to 1903 (Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Go & Surface Laptop 1. Two issues that I've noticed with all four devices is that the shut down process often (but not always) takes longer than what I'm used to experiencing. I click the...
  6. Slow Shutdown after Upgrade to Windows 10 1903

Slow Shutdown after Upgrade to Windows 10 1903: I upgraded my Dell Optiplex desktop to Windows 10 1903 and noticed that the time to shutdown had increased from about 10 seconds to around 90 seconds. I reverted back to 1809 but still have the long shutdown period. I have tried, updating graphics and audio drivers,...
  7. slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown

slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  8. Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  9. slow boot/shutdown/restart

slow boot/shutdown/restart: I have a lenovo ideapad z510 with a Sandisk Ultra II 120 GB as the main disk and a second 1TB HDD instead of the DVDwr, my problem is that it takes ~ 25-30 seconds to boot/shutdown/restart according to Event Viewer, and considering the Ultra II specs that's a lot, it...
  10. Slow boot & shutdown time

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot & shutdown time: 10 doesn't seem to be booting very nicely. What I mean is that it seems to be having a difficult time initilizing my SSD, so upon boot I get a blank black screen for anywhere from 60-180 seconds, where the primary drive activity LED is inactive, before it actually boots. This...