Windows 10: Slow Boot - SMSS is the culprit, need help with the diag

Discus and support Slow Boot - SMSS is the culprit, need help with the diag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I've run the Window Performance Recorder / Analyzer. I've narrowed the issue down to something going on during SMSSInit. It's nearly 100s of no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by geonjay, Dec 16, 2020.

1. geonjay Win User

Slow Boot - SMSS is the culprit, need help with the diag

Hello. I've run the Window Performance Recorder / Analyzer. I've narrowed the issue down to something going on during SMSSInit. It's nearly 100s of no activity - CPU and Disk IO appear to be nil, but I can't narrow the issue down. This is a decent laptop with the system on the OE SSD and a second NVME M.2 drive loaded for games. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's something to do with that 2nd drive taking a long time to initialize, but I can't prove it. Once boot is complete the system runs very fast. When I restart or shutdown/restart I get the same delay. I've tried Fast Start / No Fast Start. You can see SMSS.exe start around the 4 second mark and it sits there until the 100 second mark. I've run chkdsk and the DISM tool - no issues found. Drivers are latest/greatest including graphics drivers from nVidia and system drivers from AMD.

Thanks

Download - TransferNow

:)

geonjay, Dec 16, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Slow boot

Hi Craig,

Boot performance may slow can be due to corruptions. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried booting up your laptop in Safe Mode and check if the issue still persist?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Dec 16, 2020
  3. Guttboy Win User
    HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Namslas.....link to do that? I removed Skype and a bunch of other progs that I dont use often to see if they were the culprits. Or a step by step?

Guttboy, Dec 16, 2020
  4. zinou Win User

Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer

Hi,

I think that the issue is caused by the "Generic HDD SCSI Disk Device" driver

Slow Boot - SMSS is the culprit, need help with the diag [​IMG]

you have 8 disk drive attached to your computer:
    1. Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
    2. Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    3. ST4000DM004-2CV104
    4. TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
    5. WDC WD20EARX-008FB0
    6. Generic HDD SCSI Disk Device
    7. Seagate BUP BK SCSI Disk Device
    8. Kingston DT Elite G2 USB Device

I would suggest you uninstall the Generic driver from the device manager;
    • Open device manager and display the hidden devices;
    • Generic "HDD SCSI Disk Device" under disk driver and uninstall it.

Slow Boot - SMSS is the culprit, need help with the diag [​IMG]

zinou, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Slow Boot - SMSS is the culprit, need help with the diag - Similar Threads - Slow Boot SMSS

2. Slow Windows 11 Boot Time Issue - Need Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Windows 11 Boot Time Issue - Need Help!: Hi everyone,I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through a clean installation. I formatted my C drive completely, leaving the files on my D drive untouched. However, since the upgrade, I've been experiencing a significant issue with the booting time. It takes...
  3. Slow Windows 11 Boot Time Issue - Need Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow Windows 11 Boot Time Issue - Need Help!: Hi everyone,I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through a clean installation. I formatted my C drive completely, leaving the files on my D drive untouched. However, since the upgrade, I've been experiencing a significant issue with the booting time. It takes...
  4. BSOD kernel power need help finding the culprit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD kernel power need help finding the culprit: Hey everyone I seen the post about uploading memory dumps and system spec and would like help finding whats giving problems on my system. Its not overly frequent but something id like to fix if...
  5. BSOD kernel power need help finding the culprit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD kernel power need help finding the culprit: Hey everyone I seen the post about uploading memory dumps and system spec and would like help finding whats giving problems on my system. Its not overly frequent but something id like to fix if...
  6. BSOD kernel power need help finding the culprit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Slow boot at startup(I need help!)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot at startup(I need help!): Hello everyone, I have problem with my brother's computer - it's booting too slow(45 seconds). He has got M.2 drive so I think it should boots in about 5-15 seconds. The computer is new(he has got it for one month), but my brother has downloaded a trojan while this...
  8. Help Slow boot!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Slow boot!!: I have a Samsung 860 evo 500 gb. It usually boots windows in about 15 seconds. However out of no where it started taking me to a black loading screen that takes about a minute to get through before it finally finishes booting. The slow boot time happened all at once not...
  9. SLOW BOOT help pls

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SLOW BOOT help pls: bought a brand new laptop with windows 10...whenever i boot the laptop it takes around 1-2 minutes to get to the windows screen..there's this random black screen with only cursor being responsive at some point before login for quite some time through the boot process...atfer...
  10. feedback and diag help

in Windows 10 Support
    feedback and diag help: i cannot change send your device data to windows it says some settings are controlled by your organisation but i have admin access 18891