Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

Discus and support Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series. Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot. Since windows 10 is installed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gil, Aug 5, 2015.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

Hi all,

I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series.
    Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot.

Since windows 10 is installed, boot time is about 20 seconds and desktop icons take some time to refresh and load their images.

Regarding the boot time:
    I've narrowed it down the an unexplained read/write access on my external HDD eSATA which is used for backups, though currently all backup process are stopped.
    When I remove / turn off my external HDD, boot time is about 8 seconds.
    I can't figure out why all of a sudden it required this access to this HDD.

As for the slow icon refresh.. I have no idea how to fix this and I was hoping to get some assistance on this as well.

Thanks!

:)

2. Windows 10 startup too slow.

During start up of the windows the system is too slow. It stays in dell logo for 4 minutes. And after that when desktop loads the icons in the taskbar doesn’t load. For that i should wait for minutes. Even the lockscreen takes too much time to
    show password field/box. Start up/Booting is too slow.

Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading [​IMG]

AkileshSrinivasan, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Robbo9999 Win User
    Slow boot speed after Windows 10 was updated to latest Build (Threshold 2) on 13th November

Since the latest Update to Windows 10 (as described in the title of the thread) boot times have slowed to 45secs, up from 15secs prior to update. This doesn't occur all the time, occasionally it will still boot in 15secs (but that's quite rare).

Using the Windows Logs I found out what specifically is causing the sporadic long boot times: BootExplorerInitTime. I believe that to be the time it takes
    to load up Explorer.exe (and this is the length of time between entering the user account password & the desktop appearing) - it's taking about 38 secs to load up that - when boot times are good then this part only take a few seconds.

I tried creating another local user account & rebooting with that account & boot time was really fast, about 15secs. However, as soon as the original slow user account was deleted, then the slow boots started occurring
    with the fresh user account I had created.

I then tried reinstalling Windows 10 clean (without keeping programs or files). Boot times were really fast (15secs) to start with, but after installing my programs it slowed down to often booting in the slow 45secs.
    Now it's pretty much always booting at the slow 45secs. I tried uninstalling all programs I'd installed since the last known good fast boot, but still the slow 45sec boots occur. I'm tempted to conclude that
    it's not any of my programs causing slowdowns in boot up because uninstallation doesn't help, and also because boot logs show no programs slowing down the bootup process. BootExplorerInitTime is
    still the culprit, and I think it's just a bug in the latest build in relation to my system - it seems to me that the more times the PC is restarted the more often the slow boots occur. On a fresh installation boot times are 15secs, then sporadically restarts
    will be 45secs, then after enough restarts then boot times are always 45 secs. BootExplorerInitTime is about 35secs in the case of the slow boots - all of that extra 30secs accounted for by that.
    I'm thinking that Microsoft need to offer a patch that irons out this problem, although I don't see many or any people with the same issue!

Any comments or advice welcome, or if you have the same issue please post. It would be good if Microsoft knows about this issue.

My system:

Alienware M17xR3 laptop

i7-2630QM

16GB 1866Mhz RAM

GTX 670MX 3GB

840 EVO SSD

320GB 7200rpm hard drive

Windows 10 64bit Home Premium

Robbo9999, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

Sorry it's an old thread. Just wanted to re assure you on the slow icon refresh. Fast startup is enabled on my machine (I have Samsung evo SSD 500 gb as boot drive plus secondary 3TB drive). I never timed it but literally load up of Windows is instant after BIOS. I never used an SSD before, I can't believe how fast it is and wonder whether it's fast startup working some magic or it's the SSD flexing its muscles. However back on topic, I do notice a slight lag on desktop icon refresh. Most are instantly visible but random ones can be generic for a few seconds before flashing up with their proper icon. I think it's relatively normal.

Scottyboy99, Nov 18, 2015
  5. GIL
    gil Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have sorted this one out.

6. DR3WST3R Win User
    howdy, gil could you tell us how you sorted your desktop load out as mine is very slow also, boot is only 7 seconds but desktop programs/icons painfully slow

DR3WST3R, Jan 2, 2016
  7. GIL
    gil Win User
    7 seconds is great boot time. That was my issue. Once logged in, I made sure I disabled any startup services and apps which are not required for Windows.
    I then enabled each one until I found the app that caused slow login time.

As for slow booting, it was a hidden partition that Win10 installation process created on my external HDD. This partition wasn't necessary after Win10 installation was completed. Once I deleted the hidden partition, the boot time went from 24 seconds to about 10 seconds.

Thema:

Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

1. Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading - Similar Threads - Slow boot SSD

2. Windows 10 slows to boot, slow to load desktop icons and icons in the taskbar, etc..

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 slows to boot, slow to load desktop icons and icons in the taskbar, etc..: Hi I'll try and explain it as good as I can Recently Windows 7's support has ended, I still use Windows 7 and then just upgrade it to Windows 10 At first the PC has no problems at all but a few days later, well The boot time is so slow, when the desktop appears theres no...
  3. boot time loading slow.

boot time loading slow.: I am facing the following problems while using my Dell laptop for the past few weeks : 1 The boot time loading of the laptop has become very slow due to unknown causes. 2 The opening of files,folders, and softwares also takes a considerable amount of time during...
  4. slow boot time on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot time on ssd: Hi all, I know there are a wide range of posts about this issue but I couldn't find any direct solution.. I have a laptop with i7 8750h, 16gb ram and 512gb intel 7600p ssd. Boot time takes about 50 seconds, some times 40. Here is the link of Windows Performance Recorder test...
  5. Slow Desktop Loading

Slow Desktop Loading: Hi I have a dell vostro 15 3568 laptop. Since last few months the loading time after entering the password is taking longer than usual. With 8 gb ram and i5 processor I am facing this issue. after entering the password i have to wait for minimum of 2-3 minutes to get the...
  6. slow boot to desktop times

slow boot to desktop times: just refreshed win 10 pro 64 after boot speeds getting very poor as was performance, on a refresh with all drivers cleanly installed and some needed programs boot is still pits, 67.156, windows boot 17, desktop 50. my specs are: win 10 pro 64 i7 4770K - CRYORIG R1 cooler...
  7. W10 slow boot and icons load

W10 slow boot and icons load: Hi. I've upgraded my laptop from W8.1Pro to W10Pro. At first everything was fine, but now the boot is very slow with the icons taking ages to appear on the desktop and the taskbar. Any ideas please? I've removed almost all the automatic start up items, defragged and...
  8. Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD

Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD: I just noticed in the last few days that my PC takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up. It takes about 5 seconds to post and then hangs on Windows loading screen for about 2-3 minutes, which used to be around 10-15 seconds. I'm not really sure when it started. I did a test to...
  9. Boot time very slow with SSD

Boot time very slow with SSD: I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is: i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 8GB RAM Z170-HD3 RX 480 4GB I'm on windows 10 1703 My boot time has recently been extremely slow (almost 2 minutes) Interestingly Windows boot...
  10. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen): Hi! This is my first post here so greetings *Smile Recently my win 10 started booting very slow. I purchased an SSD (EVO 850) a month ago and was amazed how fast it boots, approx. 11s from cold boot to login screen. Since I mine crypto I don't shut down my PC much, I...