Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Discus and support Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In your boot trace Your desktop is shown after 15s ! For me it's a correct boot time. [img] Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DeadlyChef, Dec 29, 2017.

1. zinou Win User

Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

In your boot trace Your desktop is shown after 15s !

For me it's a correct boot time.

Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen) [​IMG]

zinou, Dec 31, 2017

2. Ok,

here is the boot trace

The benchmark and S.M.A.R.T. info here

Also zinou it is not correct. It doesn't show after 15 secs. Look at that post boot event that takes 35 seconds. That is it! The culprit! But I don't know how to find what exactly it is. I know it is because in my event viewer it also says post boot 35 seconds and it is the longest value there. Does it mean my POST is taking too long? Or is it post windows boot? Like after windows booted

DeadlyChef, Dec 31, 2017
  3. zinou Win User
    The post boot phase occurs after the explorer is loaded (so session opened and desktop shown).
    This phase consist of running services marked as auto-delayed and other scheduled taskes...etc.

it can be improved though...

zinou, Dec 31, 2017
  4. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Ok so I uploaded a video so you can see it takes over 15 secs. Over a minute. Keep notice on the power button it is also the HDD indicator, as soon as it starts being red again, the OS loads in 2,3 seconds. Just how it was before, when I didn't have that stupid delay.
    20180101_120734 - Video Dailymotion

DeadlyChef, Dec 31, 2017
  5. zinou Win User
    zinou, Dec 31, 2017
  6. I disabled it and it is a bit faster, a few seconds, but nowhere near where it was. Also I don't see it in task manager anymore so it's not malware

DeadlyChef, Dec 31, 2017
  7. zinou Win User
    Can you take another boot trace. The first one doesn't really reflect what I've seen in the video.
    Question: are you using fast startup ?

zinou, Dec 31, 2017
  8. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen)

Ok so I made a new trace.

I typed : "wpr -disablepagingexecutive on" into an elevated command prompt.

The settings I used

Also fast boot and hibernate are both off. The file is here

DeadlyChef, Dec 31, 2017
  9. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the delay got captured in the trace. You see that you get to post-boot phase after ~15 seconds.

So that means that either you didn't hit the issue on this boot or the delay is so early in the boot process that it's not getting logged.

PolarNettles, Dec 31, 2017
  10. I had the issue for sure. So if it isn't logged do you think it is down to bios level? It was the same in the performance report I posted earlier. You can see the issue in the video I posted. It's so strange it logs only 15 seconds when it takes a lot more..

DeadlyChef, Dec 31, 2017
  11. The tracing starts in the pre-session phase, which is when the kernel is getting loaded. So it's down to the BIOS or early Windows boot phases.

Do you see this issue in safe mode?

PolarNettles, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Yes it is present in safe mode too

DeadlyChef, Jan 1, 2018
  13. bro67 Win User

Can you redo the video showing just the screen. Moving the camera gives us zero idea what is going on. Check your startup items in Task Manager and see what else is loading. 15 seconds is not a lot, unless you also have it rebuilding the Page, Hibernate, have Delay Boot to 0 or grayed out in msconfig. Do not disable Write Caching, etc., that some people state improves things, but disabling certain cache with a SSD will actually slow it down.

bro67, Jan 1, 2018
  14. So what things should I look into if it's BIOS level? Also @bro67 if the camera was on the screen the whole time you would just see the spinning circle for a minute or so, BIOS is done loading in a few seconds. I am kinda lost, I feel this is a Windows bug =/

DeadlyChef, Jan 1, 2018
  15. You used to be able to view the drivers being loaded during boot on the screen but it looks like that no longer works, at least on my system. Can you give it a try just in case? In MSCONFIG:

If you don't see anything on the screen then you can look at the boot log file in \Windows\ntbtlog.txt and see if there's any error messages. The log is concatenated on every boot so another thing you can try is:
    1. Enable MSCONFIG settings as above.
    2. Delete any existing \Windows\ntbtlog.txt file.
    3. Reboot system. Keep track of the time when BIOS starts booting and when you see the spinning wheel.
    4. While system is stuck during boot, press the reset button or forcibly power off the system.
    5. Boot up the system normally and check the log to see what was the last driver loaded before you pressed the reset button on the previous boot.

You can post the log file somewhere. This will tell us if Windows is stuck loading a driver.

PolarNettles, Jan 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow boot time on SSD (during OS loading screen) - Similar Threads - Slow boot SSD

2. boot time loading slow.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    boot time loading slow.: I am facing the following problems while using my Dell laptop for the past few weeks : 1 The boot time loading of the laptop has become very slow due to unknown causes. 2 The opening of files,folders, and softwares also takes a considerable amount of time during...
  3. Slow boot time to OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time to OS: As the title suggests, the load time of OS is extremely long(spinning white dots i believe), about 15-25 seconds. Which makes my boot-up time from button pressed to windows screen 50~ seconds Windows is installed on SSD, and i have another HDD connected. Troubleshooting:...
  4. slow boot time on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot time on ssd: Hi all, I know there are a wide range of posts about this issue but I couldn't find any direct solution.. I have a laptop with i7 8750h, 16gb ram and 512gb intel 7600p ssd. Boot time takes about 50 seconds, some times 40. Here is the link of Windows Performance Recorder test...
  5. Windows loading screen crashes during boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows loading screen crashes during boot.: Hey my pc has been wotking absolutely fine until today i turned it on and the monitor disconnected so i had a go at troubleshooting it. It loaded up fine in safe mode, so i tried reinstalling the graphics drivers, aswell as removing them. After, instead of disconnecting the...
  6. Slow boot time on SSD during windows logo screen

Slow boot time on SSD during windows logo screen: Hi! During the last months my windows boot time became to a ridiculous 12+ mins time. It´s my office computer, and I´m usually overloaded with work so can´t take care of it. I suspected that the problem began since I inserted a new SSD, but today I unplugged every drive (but...
  7. Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen

Windows 10: Slow boot time on SSD 6-mins OS loading screen: Hey, Windows 10 screen takes 6-minutes on average. Which is really frustrating since I occasionally boot to/from Ubuntu. I noticed the issue a few weeks ago. Before that I would barely see the loading screen( only for 2 seconds tops ). Tried these so far; - Disable...
  8. Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD

Sudden slow boot time on Windows Loading screen with SSD: I just noticed in the last few days that my PC takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up. It takes about 5 seconds to post and then hangs on Windows loading screen for about 2-3 minutes, which used to be around 10-15 seconds. I'm not really sure when it started. I did a test to...
  9. Boot time very slow with SSD

Boot time very slow with SSD: I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is: i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 8GB RAM Z170-HD3 RX 480 4GB I'm on windows 10 1703 My boot time has recently been extremely slow (almost 2 minutes) Interestingly Windows boot...
  10. Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading

Slow boot time on SSD and slow Desktop icons loading: Hi all, I'm using an Intel SSD 240GB 520 series. Always loading very fast, i.e., about 8 seconds from cold boot. Since windows 10 is installed, boot time is about 20 seconds and desktop icons take some time to refresh and load their images. Regarding the boot time:...