Windows 10: Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

Discus and support Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Secondary external 8TB HDD WD Mybook, adding blank screen with non flashing white underscore to boot time increasing boot time by 10+ seconds. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MotorCityFool, May 10, 2020.

1. Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

Secondary external 8TB HDD WD Mybook, adding blank screen with non flashing white underscore to boot time increasing boot time by 10+ seconds. When I unplug the HDD the whole system boots in 5 seconds or less.

Things tried that didn’t work, disabling fast startup and double checked my SSD had boot priority in BIOS.

I bought the Evo for my build to get super fast boot times and now its the oppoiste.

Motherboard: MSI AMD B450 Gaming Plus Max CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz Storage: Samsung 970 PRO SSD 512GB - M.2 (boot drive) PSU: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX650M

https://ibb.co/CW94Yw8

submitted by /u/MotorCityFool
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MotorCityFool, May 10, 2020
  2. zinou Win User

Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer

Hi,

I think that the issue is caused by the "Generic HDD SCSI Disk Device" driver

Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help! [​IMG]

you have 8 disk drive attached to your computer:
    1. Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
    2. Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    3. ST4000DM004-2CV104
    4. TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
    5. WDC WD20EARX-008FB0
    6. Generic HDD SCSI Disk Device
    7. Seagate BUP BK SCSI Disk Device
    8. Kingston DT Elite G2 USB Device

I would suggest you uninstall the Generic driver from the device manager;
    • Open device manager and display the hidden devices;
    • Generic "HDD SCSI Disk Device" under disk driver and uninstall it.

Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help! [​IMG]

zinou, May 10, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD

Hello Kirshy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it feels when it takes a lot of time just to boot to the desktop. Let’s take one by one and try to resolve the issue. Kindly check with the below methods and see if it helps.

• Slow boot issues:

Step 1: To reduce the slow boot issue in Windows 10 we can disable fast startup option which will skip the wait time to boot up the system. To disable fast startup, follow the below steps:

Search for Control Panel and click on it > Hardware and Sound
    > Power Options > select Choose what the power button does
    which is present on the left side > Click Change settings that are currently unavailable > Uncheck the box
    Turn on fast startup option and click on Save changes.

Step 2: Turn OFF Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta).

This feature will not be turned ON by default, but check if it has been turned ON to turn it OFF. To do that, follow the steps: Press
    Windows + R keys and type appwiz.cpl and click on
    OK > Select turn Windows features on or off option > scroll down to the option
    Windows Subsystem for Linux and check if it turned OFF.

Step 3: Also, you may go through the article on
    Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10.

• Unrecognized HDD:

Step 1: Check for the status of the drive in the device manager by pressing
    Windows + R key > type devmgmt.msc and hit
    Enter
    > Expand Disk Drive > If you are able to find the driver for the external drive > then right click on the driver and select
    Properties > check the status of the disk.

Step 2: I suggest you to go through the answer provided by
    Vanessa Sohtun dated January 21, 2016 on
    hard drive not recognized Windows 10.

Step 3: Run Chkdsk.

CHKDSK is a command we use in Command Prompt to scan, check and repair hard drives in the computers. To perform check disk, type
    cmd in the search window and right click on command prompt to select
    Run as administrator > If User Account Control ask for permission, click
    Yes to proceed > In the command prompt, type chkdsk [driveletter] /f /r /x
    (for e.g.: chkdsk C: /f /r /x) > press Enter.

Check disk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector, if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, May 10, 2020
  4. GIL
    gil Win User

Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

Hi all,

My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES).
    Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option.

1. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average.
    2. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable.

It's worth noting that cold boot uses the hiber.sys file when fast boot option is enabled in windows.
    This file is not being used for PC restart.

Since I added a HDD eSATA enclosure that can host two HDDs, I've experienced slow boot times.
    With 1 HDD it would take about 20 seconds to login from PC restart, but with the additional 2nd HDD it got to about 60+ seconds to login.

Things I've done:
    1. I've disabled some none windows, none crucial startup services to no avail.
    2. My motherboard is quite old - Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe.
      It uses Asmedia 106x SATA Controller. The eSata drivers for it are from 21/08/2017 version 3.2.3.0.
      I've installed this driver after I experienced the slow boot time in the hope to achieve better results, but it didn't improve anything.
    3. Removed BitDefender to no avail. Installed back.
    4. In group policy, I've enabled Windows Boot Performance Diagnostics but I've yet to gather meaningful data.
    5. Lastly, disconnected the eSATA HDD enclosure - Windows boots in 8 seconds. Clearly this has to do with the eSATA connection or HDD's.

My questions are:
    1. Is there a dedicated diagnostic tool for windows boot time that can point what's holding up to boot process?
    2. Do you think it's better to use USB 3.0 instead of the eSATA to improve on the time? or is it the enclosure controller that holds windows boot time?

That's the eSATA HDD enclosure I'm using:
    Vantec NexStar MX Dual 3.5 SATA to USB 3.0 and eSATA W/JBOD/RAID 0/1 Enclosure 690000346712 | eBay

Thema:

Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

1. Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help! - Similar Threads - Slow boot ext

2. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  3. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  4. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  6. Access to Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Ext HDD: I found that to use my Ext HDD, I needed to go to the Control panel and declare it as a Backup Storage device. Prior to a week or so ago, all I had to do was plug the ext HDD into my laptop via USB. But now that I have declared it a Backup device, I am still unable to see it...
  7. Slow boot time with new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow boot time with new laptop: I have an Asus Vivobook 14 M413DA which I bought in January. When it was new, it would boot to the Windows log in screen in under 10 seconds. Now it takes 40 seconds.Under Startup in Task Manager, the only items enabled are "googledrivesync.exe", "Microsoft OneDrive", and...
  8. SLOW BOOT TIMES WITH NEW EXT HHD HANGING BLACK SCREEN. HELP!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SLOW BOOT TIMES WITH NEW EXT HHD HANGING BLACK SCREEN. HELP!: Secondary external 8TB HDD WD Mybook, adding blank screen with non flashing white underscore to boot time increasing boot time by 10+ seconds. When I unplug the HDD the whole system boots in 5 seconds or less. Things tried that didn’t work, disabling fast startup and double...
  9. Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD: So for about maybe 1 year maybe more my computer does this very random and very annoying thing where one of my HDD's does not show up in the bios and if I try to just boot in to windows it can take upwards of 5 minutes for it to finally bring me to login screen (I get stuck...
  10. WmiPrvSe ext hdd activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WmiPrvSe ext hdd activity: I have an external HDD and from what I can see in the task manager, it is constantly being read or used by some process. I ran Process Monitor and filtered it down the the drive letter and I see that the process wmiprvse is the only process there. I did some research on it...