Windows 10: Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

Discus and support Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all first post here I did a brand new installation of windows on my new m.2 drive I used a usb to do that and installed Windows 10 pro on my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamespratchett2, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

Hello all first post here I did a brand new installation of windows on my new m.2 drive I used a usb to do that and installed Windows 10 pro on my new sn850 1 TV m.2 drive . Since doing so windows takes upto a minute to load on my old samsung 980 Evo took a matter of seconds . I am also experiencing a small bit of lag in windows by lag I mean try to open settings it sometimes just hangs or will open a box and not let me change anything . Never experienced any of this on the old drive . The new drive is in the same place the old one was and is twice the speed . I have disabled all start up programs etc . Also disabled quick boot in both bios and windows and hasn't made a difference it's like the pc just hangs in the gigabyte screen the a spinning cycle starts then finally boot into windows . I do not understand what is causing the lag I sometimes get and also the slow boot . The only suggestion I have is that something went wrong along the way with the installation and drivers . Should I just do a fresh install again . ?

Build motherboard gigabyte AUROUS MASTER x570

CPU and 5950x

Ram 32gb Corsair dominator PLATINUM RGB 3200

Storage western digital sn850 1tb drive having issues with in top slot same as old drive

Samsung evo970 1tb drive I used for Windows before never had any issues now in bottom m.2 slot

2xCrucial mx500 1tb sad

GPU 3090 ftw ultra

This is driving me crazy

Any help and suggestions would be most welcomed

:)

jamespratchett2, Jan 14, 2021
  2. stubbydew Win User

Fresh Install of Windows 10 on new M.2 SSD not being recognized in BIOS

Hello, I recently got a new M.2 SSD that I installed in my motherboard on my desktop PC. I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 through USB installation media, which appeared to go smoothly. When rebooting into the installation, Windows Boot Manager
    loads and gives me two options to boot to, Volume 6 and Volume 4 (Volume 6 being Windows 10 on the new SSD, I assume Volume 4 being Windows 10 on the old drive, which I had not yet reformatted). Booting this way works fine, however if I shut down the PC, remove
    the old drive, then boot back up, the BIOS does not recognize any connected hard drive as having a bootable OS. If I go into the boot menu it recognizes that the M.2 is there in the boot order, but doesn't recognize a Windows installation on it.

For reference, I did select the correct hard drive during Windows installation, and the M.2 is formatted in GPT. If I reconnect the old drive it works fine. However, my plan was to wipe the old drive to free up space, and use the new one as the primary OS,
    which currently I can't do if I can't boot with it soley.

Any ideas?

stubbydew, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Fresh Install of Windows 10 on new M.2 SSD not being recognized in BIOS

Hi,

Seems boot loader was placed to old drive.

I'd suggest to reinstall Windows with only M.2 drive attached.

Igor Leyko, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

1. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive - Similar Threads - Slow boot fresh

2. M.2 Drives running slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M.2 Drives running slow: I have 2 m.2 drives both should be around 400mb/s but ever since i added the second one. I get my disk usage capped at 1% usage. Any help would be awesome i couldnt find the answers...
  3. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive: Hello all first post here I did a brand new installation of windows on my new m.2 drive I used a usb to do that and installed Windows 10 pro on my new sn850 1 TV m.2 drive . Since doing so windows takes upto a minute to load on my old samsung 980 Evo took a matter of seconds...
  4. Sata Drives are not connecting or showing up after installing m.2 fresh windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sata Drives are not connecting or showing up after installing m.2 fresh windows 10 install: So, this is my story enjoy finding out how to figure it out. I recently bought a 500gb m.2 drive. Alongside this, I have two other drives connected by SATA cables directly connected to the motherboard. I used an external HDD to install my fresh copy of windows 10 onto my...
  5. Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...

Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...: Hello, I recently fitted an Adata SX8200Pro M.2 drive in my Dell Optiplex. The main C drive is a Liteon SSD. I’ve used Casper to create a bootable clone of the C to the M.2 (the E drive) and by changing the boot up order in the BIOS the Optiplex boots from the M.2 drive....
  6. Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...: Hello, I recently fitted an Adata SX8200Pro M.2 drive in my Dell Optiplex. The main C drive is a Liteon SSD. I’ve used Casper to create a bootable clone of the C to the M.2 (the E drive) and by changing the boot up order in the BIOS the Optiplex boots from the M.2 drive....
  7. Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after transfer to new M.2 drive: So straight to it, I got windows way back in 2013 for my PC, installed and activated it. Then it updated to windows 10 a while back. Then this week I got a new M.2 ssd and used the samsung cloning program to transfer from my old ssd onto the m.2 one. When I try personalise...
  8. Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive: I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken...
  9. Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive: I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken...
  10. Stuck in Automatic Repair Loop after fresh install onto new M.2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in Automatic Repair Loop after fresh install onto new M.2: I recently installed an M.2 SSD into my Alienware Aurora R6 and reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch onto it. The operating system installed as normal, but whenever I reboot my computer, I get kicked into Automatic Repair. If I jam on the F12 button and manually boot from the...