Windows 10: Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost)

Discus and support Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Copy-pasting from my last question cause I never got a good response. So what happened was, the Fall Creator's Update decided it needed to happen to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Planetmind, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost)

Copy-pasting from my last question cause I never got a good response.

So what happened was, the Fall Creator's Update decided it needed to happen to my computer, which was previously stupid fast, and immediately reduced it's high performance to roughly 1/4th of it's previous speed, give or take depending on what I'm doing.

Part of this was due to the microcode updates issued to mitigate the Spectre and Meltdown exploits found in Intel cpus, and a later microcode update helped with the performance hit from that. I have those mitigations disabled using the InSpectre tool, and don't even try to convince me to re-enable them, as my desktop's performance is more important to me than the 1 in 2,147,483,647 chance that someone actually hacks into it using those exploits. But that was only half the problem, the rest is from the FCU, and has persisted through multiple OS reinstalls.

I've heard that the FCU introduced a low-level bug with a couple GDI memory allocation functions, causing quote "severe memory fragmentation," but I don't know if that's the exact problem or not. Supposedly a certain Windows Update fixed said bug, but that update is for version 1709, and I'm on 1803, not by choice I might add. Installing version 1709 from an ISO file just to get this update didn't help, and Windows absolutely DEMANDED that I update back to 1803 immediately.

Here's my system specs:

MOBO: Asus Z270 SLI Xtreme, was previously CyberpowerPC Z270 SLI Xtreme but recently replaced

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i7-7700K 4.20GHZ

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD

HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM

RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2400MHz Dual Channel Memory

VIDEO: GeForce GTX 1070

I've tried everything I could possibly think of or find on the web to fix it. Follows is a list of failed solutions in no particular order:

- Full system malware scan.

- Updating all kinds of drivers.

- Disc defrag, clearing system cache and temporary files did squat.

- Couldn't system restore cause I had no backup system image so I tried multiple full OS wipes (second drive unaffected) and reinstalls with various Windows 10 versions including 1607, 1703, 1709 and 1803. The lag persisted even when I installed version 1607 with no internet access and disabled Windows Update through the Services program before reconnecting.

- Replaced the freaking motherboard just so I could get an updated UEFI. I think that helped with the Spectre/Meltdown issue, but most of the performance hit remains.

- The kitchen sink.

I'm out of ideas, and it's been months now.

:)

Planetmind, Jul 14, 2018
  2. OSdevr Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Oh dear they're still pushing that. I STILL don't like the metro tiles and stuff!

OSdevr, Jul 14, 2018
  3. Shiva1 Win User
    Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update

Thanks, will try those suggestions

other security updates run normally, I jsut have a long list of the fall creator updates not installing

Shiva1, Jul 14, 2018
  4. Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost)

Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost)

1. Slow computer following Fall Creator Update (Repost) - Similar Threads - Slow computer following

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  4. Missing buttons following Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing buttons following Fall Creators Update: Hi. Before that last big Update, I used to have buttons (where the question marks are in the attached pic) saying 'Restore this item' 'Restore all items' and I can't find a way to get these back. As you can see, I'm using Classic Shell if that matters. Can anyone put me...
  5. Installing programs extremely slow on fall creators update!

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing programs extremely slow on fall creators update!: After fall creators bug am doing clean install of win 10 pro on all pc's in the house, as wasn't able to recover/save/get out of endles BSOD/GSOD loop. Still working on dual xeon workstation here, using standard windows creation usb in uefi mode. Clean install on ssd (samsung...
  6. Fall Creators Update Bug - Slows Windows and Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update Bug - Slows Windows and Apps: Update went flawlessly. But now many programs open more slowly (5 to 10 seconds vs. 1 second). When they open, you can't click on the menu for 5-10 seconds. Happens in many apps like UltraEdit, Nitro Pro, Paint Shop Pro, etc. Some other apps work fine (e.g, Firefox, IE, etc.)...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....