Windows 10: Slow Connecting via Ethernet?

Discus and support Slow Connecting via Ethernet? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an unusual issue that seems to have just started occurring over the past month. My i-7 desktop with 16 gb RAM is connected to my router via an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tomel, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Tomel Win User

Slow Connecting via Ethernet?

I have an unusual issue that seems to have just started occurring over the past month. My i-7 desktop with 16 gb RAM is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable. Connection speed (upload and download) is 25-30 Mbs. Have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition fully updated.

If I'm not planning to use the desktop for awhile, I completely power down. In the past, when I have powered up, I would get an internet connection instantaneously. Now when I try to load my browser (whether Edge or Chrome), there's no connection. I'm having to wait say 15 seconds before a connection is established. I realize this is not much of a lag, but annoying since I have to "Retry" a couple of times before the connection is established.

Any thoughts? I haven't installed anything in probably a year other than Windows, Avast antivirus and Malwarebytes updates.

:)

Tomel, Jan 31, 2017

2. Connection via Ethernet slow

Hello All,

I have this issue but no one seems to know what's the problem. Yesterday suddenly all the apps and web pages that were open, started to navigate slow or started to have lag. These apps/pages were Facebook, YouTube, Skype and League of Legends.

At first I thought that it was my internet, however I found out later that every other web page or app would have normal speed navigation. This was all while connected to the Internet via Ethernet.

Today I had the idea to unplug the Ethernet cable and connect via WiFi, with the surprising result that via WiFi everything is normal, but whenever I plug again the Ethernet cable only these four apps/pages start to have insanely slow speed.

I am confused as a Ethernet port or cable malfunction is discarded because it would happen with all apps or pages, not only with these four. The same goes with any problem with the internet service provider. And the servers of said pages or apps, as they
    are normal via WiFi.

Help please!

Moisés Carrasco G, Jan 31, 2017
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    Connection via Ethernet slow

Hi Moisés,

For us to effectively assist you, we'll be asking a couple of questions:

How long is the ethernet cable from the router? (A long Ethernet cable subject to interference from adjacent power cable may cause slowdown)

Have you tried moving the ethernet cable to a different port on your modem/router? (routers usually have 4 ports).

Do you have a spare ethernet cable to try?

May we ask the version of your Windows 10? To do this, simply click cortana and type winver which should like like Version 17** (OS Build 162***.**)

Reinstalling your network drivers may help your connection concerns. Generally speaking, updated drivers deliver better functionality and improved performance. For the most part, you certainly want to upgrade your drivers unless you have a very specific reason
    for not wanting to do so. To perform the task, simply follow the steps provided by
    Andre Da Costa on this
    link

Should you need further information, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jan 31, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Try setting a fixed IP it may be slow DHCP

Samuria, Jan 31, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Turn off Gateway, reset your network adapters in System > Network and Internet, then choose "Network Reset" under Status. Should reinstall the default adapter driver, flush out any issues and get you back to normal. Keep in mind that third party network security can also cause issues.

bro67, Feb 1, 2017
  6. Tomel Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions. Strangely enough, I haven't had to use the suggestions yet.

As noted in my original post, I had been having the slow connection problem for about a month before I posted looking for possible solutions. The day after I posted my question, the problem resolved itself and I've been connecting instantaneously every time since. It wasn't because my ISP provider had a problem since I checked my speed frequently while I was having the problem and it was always very close to 25/25 mbs. Go figure.

Tomel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow Connecting via Ethernet? - Similar Threads - Slow Connecting via

2. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slow ethernet connection: Hello, recently I kept downloading games but then I realized that my ethernet connection is slow, 500 kbps :scream: I tried changing my DNS, checking for any updates, clearing my cache via command prompt, and many more. I tried plugging in the ethernet cable into my laptop,...
  3. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    slow ethernet connection: Hello, recently I kept downloading games but then I realized that my ethernet connection is slow, 500 kbps :scream: I tried changing my DNS, checking for any updates, clearing my cache via command prompt, and many more. I tried plugging in the ethernet cable into my laptop,...
  4. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  6. Only connect via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only connect via ethernet: I have a windows 8 pro or 10 pro dell optiplex 9010 all in one and it only connects via Ethernet cable, i have been told to try a wifi adapter and will try that but i wanted to know if there was any other solutions...
  7. Wifi connection slowing ethernet connection

Wifi connection slowing ethernet connection: I currently have two pc's running in my house, The first is connected through ethernet and the second over a wifi connection through a range extender. For some reason when the second pc is running any type of download the ethernet pc slows down, it cannot stream video or play...
  8. Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet

Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet: My computer has experienced a problem where when I plug in the Ethernet cable and connect to the network, it fails to connect to the internet says it is an "Undefined Network" and can't connect to the Internet. When I run a diagnosis it finds that Ethernet doesn't have a...
  9. Slow and intermittent internet via Ethernet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow and intermittent internet via Ethernet: I should first say I don't have a traditional internet setup do to my location, but so far I've had no problems with my tower connecting via ethernet to a WIFIextender. Today for some reason my internet on my tower decided to completely stop working. I did a network reset...
  10. Trying to connect via Ethernet not working.

Trying to connect via Ethernet not working.: Hi, i have a custom build desktop and i just got my new hard drive in and loaded it up with win 10, and immediately started having issues connecting via Ethernet. I have tried many online tutorials in an attempt to fix this issue. its not my modem or cable, my computer...