Windows 10: Slow Drive Access Since Update from 1803

Discus and support Slow Drive Access Since Update from 1803 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; OK, so I have a 2013 era PC, Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3- w/16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600, NVIDIA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Larryc39, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Larryc39 Win User

Slow Drive Access Since Update from 1803

OK, so I have a 2013 era PC, Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3- w/16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti - 2GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 980MHz - Single Card, and Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB primary drive (32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s), Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB secondary drive w/my swapfile on the secondary. It came with Windows 8 but upgraded to Windows 10 many years ago. It's been running quick and well, until now.

Two user accounts and a never-accessed admin account aside from occasional tasks like installing new software & such. For a few months Windows was bugging me that my 10 version was going EoL in November so I tried the update. Two, three times, gave up my PC for hours as it tried to do the 1900's update/install. Each time failed with a different error code (don't recall which anymore). Finally a couple weeks ago ran disk cleanup from the admin account, told it to get rid of older updates & such, hour or few later it was finally done. Installed the latest Nvidia GPU drivers via their GeForce Experience program. Ran the Windows 10 update; I believe from the website this time, few hours later I had the latest version of W10.

Except, several of my icon groups were corrupt. Icons didn't appear for pdf, office documents or the program on the taskbar, Corel Graphics Suite, etc. I first tried the batch files trick to delete the icon cache, didn't work, tried again, at the admin account, no change. Later tried the registry editing script from here: Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 No difference. Well except, now when logging into any of the accounts, it takes a minute or so before I can click on the taskbar or start menu, and several minutes before my icons on my desktop appear (the desktop is blank until then). Looking at task manager, it shows high CPU usage during this time (40% or so, although it only lists several programs using small percentages of CPU) and 100% usage of the C:\> drive. This was not typical before the update, I had reasonably fast logins and all icon visibility with original icons.

I tried to roll it back by using a system restore point, however this did not revert my Windows version. I then found the separate Windows version rollback feature that finally took my version back to the 1803 I had. I also re-updated my graphics driver after this. My icons are appearing again with the proper thumbnails, not the default blank page ones. The big issue, however, is extreme slowness still upon logging into my account, the first time a program is launched, and when having the program do a drive file access to open or save a file. It's been this way two weeks or so now, if it was a temporary slowdown from indexing, I'd expect it would have finished by now. AVG AV is a regular program on my machine at startup, and as a precaution I've done a full scan with it and with Malwarebytes. No issues found with them.

I've ran the Crystal Reports scans on my drives:

Slow Drive Access Since Update from 1803 [​IMG]

Not sure what to do to resolve the slow login issue or the drive access issue. Everything was working fine prior to the 1900's update and didn't go back with the version retrograde.

Also, here's a startup video of the over three minute startup from the time I entered my password till it displayed desktop icons.

:)

Larryc39, Dec 11, 2019
  2. anyhingwilldo, Dec 11, 2019
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Dec 11, 2019
  4. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

Thema:

1. Slow Drive Access Since Update from 1803 - Similar Threads - Slow Drive Access

2. Windows 10 slow since update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 slow since update: windows slowed down since update. How to improve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-slow-since-update/307d4015-0c16-45ce-a1cf-539dff478a43
  3. No sound and slow computer since update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound and slow computer since update: I am having problems with slow computer and no sound. This occurred after an update but I'm not sure which one. There were 2 updates on 5/14/2020 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1909 for x64 [kb455293] and Cumulative Update for Windows...
  4. Slow startup since April update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow startup since April update: Windows 10 Home version 2004 Since installing the large April update start up has become very slow. Takes a while after entering pass code and when it does eventually icons on right side of taskbar are not there and you have to wait for them. 157456
  5. Windows Update 1803 very slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 1803 very slow: Hi there, Fresh install of Windows 10.0.10240, first time connecting to windows update and it is indicating that it's using 100% of the disk yet that's clearly not the case. It's been running an absurdly long time (2hrs+) and is stuck at 60% (just ticked to 61% after 30...
  6. problems accessing some websites since Cumulative update 1803 on 11th Oct.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    problems accessing some websites since Cumulative update 1803 on 11th Oct.: Yesterday my PC installed the 2018-10 Cumulative Update 1803 and since then I cannot access with Facebook or Instagram on either Google Chrome or Firefox BUT it will work on Edge and IE, albeit sluggishly. Other sites seem to be OK although some flash up the same error...
  7. 1803 update on extremely slow isp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1803 update on extremely slow isp: I live in a remote area of Alaska using a overpriced/under performing sat based isp and can't seem to download the 1803 W10 2+GB update. Are there any options to acquire the update from Microsoft on some form of usable media? 112844
  8. Windows Defender Security Centre slow since 1803 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Security Centre slow since 1803 update: Has anyone else noticed Windows Defender Security Centre taking a while to get information after boot up since 1803? 111073
  9. Problem starting games since the 1803 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem starting games since the 1803 update: Since the 1803 update I've been getting intermittent failures to start Steam and Origin Games. I get the error message:_ "DirectX failed to initialise. This game requires at least a DirectX11-level graphics card, and a version of Windows which supports DirectX11 (WindowsXP...
  10. Really Slow Response Since Updating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Really Slow Response Since Updating: My system has been a flyer from the very first install of Windows 10 Pro when it originally came out (the free year). It would update automatically (very annoying notices...usually when I'm in the middle of something). Due to being annoying and I wanting to control it, I...