Windows 10: Slow drive access when first accessed that day

Discus and support Slow drive access when first accessed that day in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is something I have been experiencing for a while. It seems to happen only when I go to access a file on my secondary drive (traditional HDD) for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SJMaye, Dec 5, 2020.

1. SJMaye Win User

Slow drive access when first accessed that day

This is something I have been experiencing for a while. It seems to happen only when I go to access a file on my secondary drive (traditional HDD) for the first time in a day. I get that message at the top about not responding or something, then a second or 2 later the files come up.

I wrote it off to being an HDD (as opposed to SSD), but it is annoying me. I have checked fragmentation and chkdsk. All looks good.

Is there anything that can be done?

Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.630)

:)

SJMaye, Dec 5, 2020
  2. DannibusX Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Dec 5, 2020
  3. anyhingwilldo, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Slow drive access when first accessed that day

1. Slow drive access when first accessed that day - Similar Threads - Slow drive access

2. FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FileHistory causes slow access of NAS when accessing through FQDN.: When FileHistory starts doing next incremental backup or is triggered manually, It almost locks down access to NAS: * When attempting to browse NAS with file explorer, each refresh of directory takes 5-8secs. minutes if directory has 100+ files * And this slowdown causes...
  3. Drive is not accessible. Access denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive is not accessible. Access denied: Disk D: is not accessible. Access is denied on Windows 10 – How to Fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-is-not-accessible-access-denied/dfe8d92f-d621-4acb-973c-c4075eb98b2b
  4. Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied.": I got the dreaded "[Drive] is not accessible" message after plugging my external USB hard drive into a new desktop computer. [ATTACH] The drive showed up fine in Disk Management, And after scouring the Internet for solutions, all of the Permissions were fine, as well is...
  5. Drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive not accessible: I have a data partition which is bitlockered. Sometimes when I boot my PC and unlock the part the drive letter momentarily disappears from Windows explorer then reappears but when clicked it throws the error 'Drive not accessible' even though the icon has changed to show it's...
  6. Drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive not accessible: I have a data partition which is bitlockered. Sometimes when I boot my PC and unlock the part the drive letter momentarily disappears from Windows explorer then reappears but when clicked it throws the error 'Drive not accessible' even though teh icon has changed to show it's...
  7. Error: Drive is not accessible. Access is denied.

in Windows 10 Support
    Error: Drive is not accessible. Access is denied.: I was doing some backups from my PC to an external USB Drive (G) and all was going smoothly. Then I went to manually copy some new files to the USB Drive and suddenly got the error : G:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. This happened once before several weeks ago and...
  8. Loss of optical drive on first access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of optical drive on first access: Loss of optical drive Hi, looking for information on the above problem, system specs below with additional info: Win 10 Home 1803 Install 06-10-18 Build 17134.345 On DELL desktop Inspiron 3470 i5-8400 @2.8GHz 8GB ram 64 Bit OS on X64 based processor Last update: October...
  9. Drives not accessible

in Windows 10 Support
    Drives not accessible: I have previously used win7. Had an administrator and a guest account. Two dri es were not accessible from the guest account. I set that. Now i installed a fresh copy of win 10 pro, and now i cant access those drives from the only account i created in win 10. How can i solve...
  10. Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied"

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost access to drive - "Access is Denied": I'm having a serious issue here with my external USB 3.0 HDD enclosures. They used to work fine with Windows 7. Now with Windows 10 I fought all last week trying to get Windows 10 to see the enclosures. I have no idea what happened but suddenly Window 10 was able to see the...