Windows 10: Slow Internet on 1 PC, caused by OS global autotuning level????

Discus and support Slow Internet on 1 PC, caused by OS global autotuning level???? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Was working on my son's PC last night and it said there was a new GeForce driver. I downloaded it, and it seemed like it was downloading slow, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pparks1, Mar 20, 2020.

1. pparks1 Win User

Slow Internet on 1 PC, caused by OS global autotuning level????

Was working on my son's PC last night and it said there was a new GeForce driver. I downloaded it, and it seemed like it was downloading slow, but I chalked it up to internet bandwidth. A few minutes later, I decided I too should update my PC's Nvidia driver, and on my PC the download was very fast. 60MB/sec give or take, compared to son's 1.2MB/sec.

Went to son's PC and tested Nvidia again and still slow. Tried a few ISO downloads from the web, and his computer seemed stuck at 1.2MB/sec (give or take), where my PC would run 20-30MB/sec using same mirrors.

I rebooted his PC and it was still slow
    Tried Brave browser, Chrome and Edge...all slow
    Tried changing his network cable, still slow
    His mobo has wifi, so I unplugged ethernet and tried wifi and it was still slow
    I tried updating his LAN drivers from Asus, still slow
    I uninstalled his LAN drivers from ASUS, rebooted and went with standard windows discovered drivers, still slow.

Opened command line as admin, ran this command, but things continued to be slow
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Ran Windows update, downloaded the optional cumulative update for Windows 10 1909, and system was still slow.

Went back and re-enabled the autotuninglevel with
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal.

Viola....speeds were back. Now, his Nvidia downloads were coming down around 50-60MB/sec via Chrome or Brave. Tested the large ISO downloads and speeds matched my other PC on my network.

So, took a Macrium image and made a note in case I ever saw this again.

Figured I would share here in case anybody here sees something similar.

-Pat

:)

pparks1, Mar 20, 2020
  2. xaccell Win User

what is the default state for global autotuning??? First time I hear about it. How was it set in your PC?

xaccell, Mar 20, 2020
  3. pparks1 Win User

Was working on my son's PC last night and it said there was a new GeForce driver. I downloaded it, and it seemed like it was downloading slow, but I chalked it up to internet bandwidth. A few minutes later, I decided I too should update my PC's Nvidia driver, and on my PC the download was very fast. 60MB/sec give or take, compared to son's 1.2MB/sec.

Went to son's PC and tested Nvidia again and still slow. Tried a few ISO downloads from the web, and his computer seemed stuck at 1.2MB/sec (give or take), where my PC would run 20-30MB/sec using same mirrors.

I rebooted his PC and it was still slow
    Tried Brave browser, Chrome and Edge...all slow
    Tried changing his network cable, still slow
    His mobo has wifi, so I unplugged ethernet and tried wifi and it was still slow
    I tried updating his LAN drivers from Asus, still slow
    I uninstalled his LAN drivers from ASUS, rebooted and went with standard windows discovered drivers, still slow.

Opened command line as admin, ran this command, but things continued to be slow
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Ran Windows update, downloaded the optional cumulative update for Windows 10 1909, and system was still slow.

Went back and re-enabled the autotuninglevel with
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal.

Viola....speeds were back. Now, his Nvidia downloads were coming down around 50-60MB/sec via Chrome or Brave. Tested the large ISO downloads and speeds matched my other PC on my network.

So, took a Macrium image and made a note in case I ever saw this again.

Figured I would share here in case anybody here sees something similar.

-Pat

pparks1, Mar 20, 2020
  4. pparks1 Win User

This is a feature first introduced in Vista that is still present in Windows 10. I didn't tweak or make any changes to my system with respect to these settings. So, these settings were where they would have been out of the box on an install.

My system was set at the normal level when I started, you can check your status with
    netsh interface tcp show global

pparks1, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Slow Internet on 1 PC, caused by OS global autotuning level???? - Similar Threads - Slow Internet caused

2. SSD causing incredibly slow internet speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD causing incredibly slow internet speeds: Hello,Last year I upgraded my laptop’s 1tb HDD to a 256gb Samsung Evo SSD. It was working flawlessly. However, recently for no apparent reason, the WiFi speeds got so painfully slow 0.15 mbps down from 30.00 mbps on WiFi that it’s impossible to do anything on it now. I...
  3. SSD causing incredibly slow internet speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD causing incredibly slow internet speeds: Hello,Last year I upgraded my laptop’s 1tb HDD to a 256gb Samsung Evo SSD. It was working flawlessly. However, recently for no apparent reason, the WiFi speeds got so painfully slow 0.15 mbps down from 30.00 mbps on WiFi that it’s impossible to do anything on it now. I...
  4. autotuning windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    autotuning windows: Buongiorno, l'autotuning fornisce valori delle finestre esageratamente alte rispetto alla reale capacità della mia rete, questo comporta una connessione troppo lenta dovuta a ritrasmissioni dei pacchetti, ack . I miei sistemi windows 11 21h1 e 10 pro 21h1 non consentono...
  5. autotuning windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    autotuning windows: Buongiorno, l'autotuning fornisce valori delle finestre esageratamente alte rispetto alla reale capacità della mia rete, questo comporta una connessione troppo lenta dovuta a ritrasmissioni dei pacchetti, ack . I miei sistemi windows 11 21h1 e 10 pro 21h1 non consentono...
  6. autotuning windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. OS Level mismatch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OS Level mismatch: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/shockwaveriderz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hi1hg2/os_level_mismatch/
  8. Windows 10 causing pc operations slowdown and slow internet

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 causing pc operations slowdown and slow internet: Have Xfinity 200mps internet. Computers use WiFi. My PC, listed below, only gets approx 45mps. Other laptops 2 get approx 190-200. Tried multiple browsers. Assumed it is connected with slowing down of my PC operations. Performed the following: HP Pavilion 400-434 8GB...
  9. Slow Internet on 1 PC, caused by OS global autotuning level????

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow Internet on 1 PC, caused by OS global autotuning level????: Was working on my son's PC last night and it said there was a new GeForce driver. I downloaded it, and it seemed like it was downloading slow, but I chalked it up to internet bandwidth. A few minutes later, I decided I too should update my PC's Nvidia driver, and on my PC the...
  10. Internet Security - Global Services

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Internet Security - Global Services: I recently signed up for a service on my Windows 10 computer after experiencing some technical issues. It was called Global Services and had a tech support number of 1-844-331-2777. I was led to believe that they were a Microsoft support company. I haven't necessarily had...