Windows 10: Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...

Discus and support Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I recently fitted an Adata SX8200Pro M.2 drive in my Dell Optiplex. The main C drive is a Liteon SSD. I’ve used Casper to create a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by taid, Sep 11, 2019.

1. taid Win User

Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...

Hello,

I recently fitted an Adata SX8200Pro M.2 drive in my Dell Optiplex. The main C drive is a Liteon SSD. I’ve used Casper to create a bootable clone of the C to the M.2 (the E drive) and by changing the boot up order in the BIOS the Optiplex boots from the M.2 drive. However whereas I expected a quicker boot the actual boot up time is very similar to the C drive.

For normal computer use that does not involve shifting large amounts of data I wouldn’t be expecting a big speed increase but I ‘did’ expect a quicker boot... I’ve checked the M.2 drive using CrystalDiscMk6 and the drive is pretty fast.

Anyone with any ideas why?

Thanks.

:)

2. zinou Win User

Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

After examining your boot trace it seems that the delay is caused by your SanDisk SSD. Windows spent 339s trying to start this disk !

I understood that you are using theWDS100T2B0B disk! can you unplug the Sandisk and test?

Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive... [​IMG]

Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive... [​IMG]

zinou, Sep 11, 2019
  3. ccg83 Win User
    Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the:

WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B

As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken as long as 2 minutes 25 seconds) which seems insane to me on an SSD drive. My Macbook had SSD and booted in under 30 seconds and that was just a typical 2.5 inch SanDisk SSD not m.2

I don't have anything extra set to open at launch and my startup items in system preferences are empty and still this happens. Any Suggestions on how to speed the boot time up to a respectable SSD level.

ccg83, Sep 11, 2019
  4. Lagged Win User

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive... - Similar Threads - Slow ish boot

2. m.2 drive not showing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    m.2 drive not showing up.: Hi. so i have a couple of m.2 ssds that arent showing up anymore. they both were in linux systems before. I do know its not the same file systems. but they dont show up using linux either.for some reason i cant add pictures to the post. so im adding links to themive been...
  3. m.2 drive not showing up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    m.2 drive not showing up.: Hi. so i have a couple of m.2 ssds that arent showing up anymore. they both were in linux systems before. I do know its not the same file systems. but they dont show up using linux either.for some reason i cant add pictures to the post. so im adding links to themive been...
  4. M.2 Drives running slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M.2 Drives running slow: I have 2 m.2 drives both should be around 400mb/s but ever since i added the second one. I get my disk usage capped at 1% usage. Any help would be awesome i couldnt find the answers...
  5. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive: Hello all first post here I did a brand new installation of windows on my new m.2 drive I used a usb to do that and installed Windows 10 pro on my new sn850 1 TV m.2 drive . Since doing so windows takes upto a minute to load on my old samsung 980 Evo took a matter of seconds...
  6. Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot up after fresh install on new m.2 drive: Hello all first post here I did a brand new installation of windows on my new m.2 drive I used a usb to do that and installed Windows 10 pro on my new sn850 1 TV m.2 drive . Since doing so windows takes upto a minute to load on my old samsung 980 Evo took a matter of seconds...
  7. Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow(ish) boot up from M.2 drive...: Hello, I recently fitted an Adata SX8200Pro M.2 drive in my Dell Optiplex. The main C drive is a Liteon SSD. I’ve used Casper to create a bootable clone of the C to the M.2 (the E drive) and by changing the boot up order in the BIOS the Optiplex boots from the M.2 drive....
  8. Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive: I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken...
  9. Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Time painfully slow on WD m.2 SSD Drive: I recently built my PC from scratch and decided to use the: WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0B As my Boot Drive / Steam Library. I am however noticing that my System Boot time can exceed 60 seconds if not longer (has taken...
  10. Boot up problem M.2 SSD

Boot up problem M.2 SSD: Hello. I recently had an issue with my Windows 10 on my Samsung SSD, it basically just stopped working, and nothing that I did helped, not any repairs from the "Repair your computer" option from an installation media. So to cut the story short, I reinstalled Windows 10...