Windows 10: Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10

Discus and support Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I have an older PC (Phenom 1, crappy nForce chipset) that was running slow under Win7. I have installed Win10 from scratch (x64) and it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by eLPuSHeR, Oct 12, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10

Hello.

I have an older PC (Phenom 1, crappy nForce chipset) that was running slow under Win7. I have installed Win10 from scratch (x64) and it's running better but when trying to access some shared folders with another Win10 computer, it takes a long time and it usually throws out a timeout. After retrying several times, you can at last enter those folders but it's pretty annoying. The same behaviour happened to me when I tried Win8.1. It only works ok under Win7, but I want to keep Win10 because it's running smoother. By the way the nVidia Ethernet driver is the one provided by Windows Update. I think nVidia dropped support for the nForce 4.x chipset for Win8.x onwards.

Any ideas?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Oct 12, 2015
  2. DrXDon Win User

W10 Network Drive Access

Jan 2016, no body at my company will use Windows 10 because of extremely slow network access.

Environment is gigabit Ethernet LAN with 25 Windows Desktop Computers and one server running 2008 R2. Server manages two network drives: one with about 1 TB of data in 100.000 folders/files. Desktops map both network drives for quick access.

Any desktop that upgrades to W10 experiences the slow access.

Noticed that normal speed access is restored by disabling UAC

If my only options are: secure system with slow data access OR less secure system with normal speed access or W7, I have no choice but to pick W7.

Does Microsoft have any plans to address?

DrXDon, Oct 12, 2015
  3. ACCESS NOT ALLOWED TO A W10 DESKTOP FROM A W7 IN THE SAME WORKGROUP

Hi,

I've brought a new computer running under W10 to add to my LAN where the others are running under W7.

So I can see folders and files of computers running W7 from my new W10 computer, BUT I CAN'T ENTER INTO THE ROOT FOLDER OF MY COMPUTER RUNNING UNDER W10 from W7 runed computers.

Could anyone help me?

JoanGarcia Xucla, Oct 12, 2015
Thema:

Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10

1. Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10 - Similar Threads - Slow LAN access

2. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop: I have an upto date W10 desktop which can see and work with files on a W7 laptop. The W7 laptop can see the desktop under the Network but when I try to access it, I am asked for a username and password to connect to the desktop. However I do not have a password for the...
  3. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop: I have an upto date W10 desktop which can see and work with files on a W7 laptop. The W7 laptop can see the desktop under the Network but when I try to access it, I am asked for a username and password to connect to the desktop. However I do not have a password for the...
  4. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. sharing files between W7 & W10 pc's

in Windows 10 Customization
    sharing files between W7 & W10 pc's: I have literally spent a full week trying to get my W7 & W10 pc's sharing. I have read thru dozens of online articles, none of which are helpful. I don't want to share individual files & folders... I want to share everything between these two pc's as I transition from W7 to...
  6. W10 Sharing on LAN -- Need to REFRESH Network to access shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Sharing on LAN -- Need to REFRESH Network to access shares: Hi there Anybody got a solution to this I have a LAN with various computers of different OS'es sharing HDD's. If I just leave them idling (i.e nothing running - no sleep / Hibernate / HDD disconnects etc) I find if I try and connect to a SHARE FROM or TO a W10 machine...
  7. W10 Market Share Surge vs W7

in Windows 10 News
    W10 Market Share Surge vs W7: W10 gained ~2% in July. XP gained ~0.5%! W7 down ~2%. [img] NetMarketShare 58633
  8. Market Share - W7, W10 & XP Up

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share - W7, W10 & XP Up: According to NetMarketShare in December: W7, W10 & XP all increased their share of the market The W8 Series (W8 & W8.1) has a smaller market share than XP [img] Data from NetMarketShare
  9. Market Share - W10 Up, W7 Steady

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share - W10 Up, W7 Steady: W10 gained ~2% last month. W7 was steady. XP down ~1%. [img] NetMarketShare
  10. Market Share - W10 Up, W7 Down

in Windows 10 News
    Market Share - W10 Up, W7 Down: It's that time of the month again. https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/windows-10-news/120324d1486515785-market-share-w10-up-w7-down-market-share-os-2017-02-04-2-month-bar-chart.png?s=c1e8b753a573dc6e5ffc1ac8c4009171 Data from NetMarketShare 76791